Konis

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
50 years ago, I had Konis on my first Tiger. My current Tiger has had KYB's for 35 years. I thought the KYB's were doing a good job, but I remember how much I liked Konis, so I bit the bullet and got a set from Rick and installed them yesterday. Wow! What a difference! I know you can't compare 35 year old gas shocks with brand new Konis, but now I remember why I liked the Konis so much the first time around. Smoothed out the bumps, but more than that, no more body lean on cornering. An added bonus, the Konis (front) were about an inch shorter than the KYB's on full extension. Lowered my ride height in the front by an inch!

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Before and after pics:

tiger g10 1.jpg

IMG_3935.JPG

tiger g10 2.jpg

IMG_3936.JPG

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pics 1 & 3 are before the Konis; pics 2 & 4 are after installing Konis. Had been considering cutting the spring isolators, possibly cutting a coil off the springs...got the same result with new shocks!

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can you explain why the shock absorbers changed the ride height?
I am am having a difficult time understanding how the shock absorbers affect ride height when the spring is fixed between the upper upper fixed body and the lower A arm.
Maybe you pervious shocks were gas charged and offered some spring affect?

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I was talking to Rick at SS and he offered an explanation similar to yours. Rick sells both brands of shocks so I was wondering if he had heard of this happening before. If you think about it, the fact that the KYB's were an inch longer makes it impossible for the KONIS to rebound as far as the KYB'S. Another observation, the shock body and rod thickness of the KONIS are heftier than the KYB'S. You are correct about the fixed distance of the spring, but if the spring does not extend the last inch of travel due to the shorter KONIS then you have a lower ride height. The KONIS are made for the Tiger, so I can't be the only one to have experienced this...or, maybe I am. I'm not complaining, and neither are the KONIS. They are not clunking or making any funny noises on rebound after hitting all sorts of bumps. Still waiting for the experts to chime in.

Warren

Gold forum user
What experts :)
Is there a part number on the Koni boxes?
I don't think that the Konis are made for the Tiger but several car models. Just cause it fits doesn't mean it's the same fixed length as what was stock, that would be a good measurement to find.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
O.k. how about Tiger owners who frequently offer their opinions LOL! I never had a stock shock to compare to, unless you count 50 years ago. Here's a pic of the business end of the Koni box:

IMG_3946.JPG

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick has the worldwide monopol for Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger Koni shocks. No matter what you try you can't buy them elsewhere by stating the product code. Clever move he did many years before. Ask me how I know. We tried, but w/o any success...

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Its interesting the front shocks are for alpine and tiger. While they would fit id have thought originally the valving for the tiger would have been different than that for the alpine as the tiger has stiffer springs and a heavier front end to control the rebound ... I guess for the alpine they just end up a bit stiffer .. So you can probably run them onna softer setting than a tiger

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do not think there is any difference between the Alpine/Tiger Koni shock set up. There is a guy in UK who offers rebuilds for used ones. Used him and he did a great job, but it wasn't cheap. Perhaps similar as buying new ones from Rick rightaway. What is he charging nowadays ?

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
$195 a piece. Rick mentioned he has to purchase 50 at a time- no wonder not too many vendors carry them!

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ok. Think I paid 175 Pound for a rebuild of a pair. Great job as stated and all exchanged parts & bits in a plastic bag...