MKII Vintage Racer Retires

tiger82

New forum user
CAT Member
After 23 years of Vintage Racing, I will be retiring my MKII Tiger, B382100266LRXFE, and giving her a much deserved restoration and retirement as a street car. During it's racing career it competed in over 75 races, mostly in the PNW.

The car is well known on the west coast. Club member Bob Siefert purchased the car in San Francisco in 1967 and owned it up until 1988. It passed briefly to Randy Cunningham, then I bought it in 1989 and proceeded to turn it into a Vintage Racer with the help of Steve Hodge - who was originally a partner in the car. All the original street equipment was carefully removed and placed in storage.

The car was continually developed, becoming faster each year. When we started out, it raced with a near stock motor and original MKII trim!. In the end it was running a 475 hp 289 ci engine that put it near the front of the BP grid in the PNW. It had reached the end of it's development curve and wasn't going to go much faster without being modified beyond limits that I didn't want to cross.

Many have wondered why I raced a "valuable" MKII Tiger. Although it is hard to ignore the prices now, 25 years ago Tigers were worth a lot less and the premium for a MKII was small. I also naively thought that I needed to have a MKII to legally run a 289 engine in vintage!

At the last race at our home track (Mission Raceway), the car went out in style, running it's fastest laps ever. As I drove a final victory lap, I had tears in my eyes. However, I am looking forward to the next phase in it's life. Over the years, I have met many of you at the races - and have received a lot help. I'd love to come out to Tiger events and be able drive the car for more than a couple of hours each year! Plans are to complete the restoration within 2 years. Although there's a lot of sheetmetal work to do, it's a relatively easy restoration. The car will be returned to stock with numerous LAT options. It will sport it's original motor, transmission, and rear end.

Cheers,
Doug Yip

Warren

Gold forum user
Awesome

Welcome back, hope Santa Maria is in you and your car's future.:------

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
GREAT set of pics... thanks for sharing them :cool:
Good luck with the resto ... hope to see it at Van Dusen 2017 ?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Doug - congrats on a safe career in the Tiger and I think it looks great as is. This next phase with the car should be a fun one too, and a little slower pace I hope. :)