My first 4/b

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seen the F-4bs at 200 to 400 bucks. Dale said he had a pile of Edelbrock performer's. I would not pay 600 for a repop Tiger scripted is it the brand name, Blue Thunder manifold but I think that's the base price .

received_624854058825662.jpeg

http://www.mustangtek.com/Intake/S1TS-9423-A.html
https://sunbeamtigerparts.com/listing/rare-sunbeam-tiger-shelby-intake/?recaptcha-opt-in=true

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've been running an F4B for 20 years. Even Shelby admitted to Edelbrock that his manifold was better than the SFM manifold... These (the F4B) average about $250 on Ebay... I use a Holley 1850-12, 600 CFM carb, vacuum sec., manual choke. I NEVER use the choke. I get 22 MPG as long as I'm not a 17 year old...

I did get one of the 465 CFM carbies from Holley... This was configured as a manual choke (cable).. But the biggest problem I had was, it was not set up for vacuum advance.... It was for a client's car. In the end, I reconfigured the carb with a different base plate so I could have a vacuum advance port and at the same time I set it up so it could be a "hot air" choke, instead of an electric choke, or manual choke. It ran, but was not what I would call "ideal"

In the end I opted for a 1850-12 (vac secondaries, cable choke) but modified it for the "hot air choke" as the car was a Mk1A but had a 5 bolt 289... The car ran great. I couldn't make it run for "shit" with the 465 cfm unit.

You have to remember... the leaner the mixture, the hotter the car is going to run....

Heat is the enemy!

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
First Tiger ran an F4B. Current Tiger runs an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Pretty darn close...

Warren

Gold forum user
If you are talking performance vs bling. I believe it's widely accepted that those pictures manifolds are merely lighter and cooler looking than their cast iron counterparts.

Certainly it's a don't remember where I saw it but Dyno tests were there to compare F4b to the Performer. Many swapped to a LAT option type or bone stock hence Dale's surplus report.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
BTW... both the performer and the F4B are alloy intakes... It's getting harder to find good F4B's as there can be quite a lot of corrosion damage at the front coolant crossover ports. The rears were blocked off, so don't suffer as badly.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
BTW... both the performer and the F4B are alloy intakes... It's getting harder to find good F4B's as there can be quite a lot of corrosion damage at the front coolant crossover ports. The rears were blocked off, so don't suffer as badly.
Still run my original Offy 360. It doesn't care what or how you feed it. From 470 CFM up thru a 950 Holley 3-barrel. The 950 got the best fuel economy until that third barrel dropped.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Couple in eBay this morning.

Warren

Gold forum user
Somewhere there's a picture of the differences of the F4b . Can't search now anyone got them at hand.

Warren

Gold forum user
That shows the true dual plane plus the four hole F4B plus I think there's another one. And there are some differences in the water outlet or something in that area I can't remember exactly what. There was a particular thread in the past had lots of pictures that were hosted by fill in the blank . When those firms went belly up and the pictures went away so did the meat and potatoes of the threads. I have seen Michael post those pictures before.

Franchi

Silver forum user
Last edited:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
At LEAST...

BTW, linked pictures tend to become unavailable...

P1080559.JPG