New 331 Stroker Engine and extras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Two years ago I gave a friend a ride in my Tiger which has a 331 stroker engine. He was so impressed that 3 days later he went out and bought himself a Tiger. He wanted the exact same setup in his Tiger as I had in mine, so he had me buy all the same parts for his engine. He assembled the bottom end last year, but has since lost interest in the project. I have purchased the car and engine from him, but I’m going to restore the car back to the original stock 260, since I already have a hot rod. I am, therefore, selling a brand new 331 Ford stroker engine. In purchasing this engine I highly recommend interested parties come by and inspect all the parts prior to complete assembly to know exactly what they are getting.

Note: this is a full roller engine with almost all brand new parts, starting with a fully prepped Mexican 302 block, 331 stroker crank, CNC machined lightweight 4340 forged steel rods with indexed caps, Probe SRS lightweight forged pistons, Edelbrock roller cam, heads and intake manifold, hydraulic roller lifters, roller rockers, ARP bolts, etc., etc., etc. That’s $5200 just in engine parts alone. With this engine you can use your own original Tiger valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, distributor, headers, carb, etc. It all fits.

Along with the engine comes a modified 302 aluminum bellhousing and a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. The bellhousing has been welded/reinforced, bead blasted and machined to fit the narrow eared toploader transmission that comes in Tigers. This bellhousing makes for a convenient drop-in setup for your Tiger. You can use your existing lever arm, throw-out bearing, dust cover, slave cylinder, rod and clip. You will, however, have to buy the 6 bolt clutch slave cylinder bracket and the larger O.D. input retainer housing for your toploader. The lightweight 157 tooth aluminum flywheel permits your engine to rev up and down much more easily and you can even use your original starter motor with it. This setup is another $580 in parts and labor.

A barely used Centerforce II clutch disc and pressure plate that came with the 260 is also included, which was way overkill for the stock 260. This combination costs $354 new and even the factory stickers are still on the pressure plate and clutch disc.

Here’s the build list:

302 Mexican Block – #75YZ-6015-AA
1975 block purchased as standard bore
Beefier block with 1” thick ‘Hipo 289’ type main caps
Hot tanked, magnifluxed, bored .030” over, decked with torque plates
New brass freeze plugs & oil gallery plugs and cam brearings
New 331 3.25”stroker Nodular Iron crank, RJ50, std/std mains/rods from
Hawks Racing – HR-CK-QT302FB
New 5.4” Lightweight 4340 steel I-beam race rods
Hawks Racing – HR-LG-LI5400
Fully indexed caps
ARP 3/8” wavelock 12 point cap head bolts
Bushed .912 pin w/spirolocs
New forged aluminum Probe SRS Racing pistons - PRO-10666-030
New Probe Moly ring set - PRO-315-0049-039
10.0:1 compression on pump gas
Assembly balanced to 28oz setup
New Edelbrock Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Camshaft - #2221,
.520/.520 lift, 227/234 duration, 112 CL
New Crane Cams Hydraulic Roller Lifters - #36532-16
New Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads - #60259
2.02 intake valves, .160 exhaust valves
Guide plates w/3/8” studs
ARP stud head bolt kit - #154-3601
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake - #7121
New Proform 1.6:1 roller rockers and locknuts - #66911
New pushrods - 5/16 Dia., 6.4 length - Summit
New Cloyes double roller timing chain – CLO-9-1135
New Summit Harmonic balancer – PIC-872008
New Ford Motorsport windage tray - #M6687-A302
New Ford eccentric – FMS-M-6287-B302
New oil pump - #M68HV
New oil pump drive shaft
New bearings and gaskets throughout

Bellhousing/Clutch
6 bolt 302 bellhousing, C5DA-6394-AA - w/added mounting holes for narrow pattern toploader with welded reinforcement, drilled and tapped
New 157 tooth 28 oz Fidanza billet aluminum flywheel w/steel insert
11 lbs for aluminum vs. 21 lbs for steel
ARP Flywheel bolts
Centerforce 10.4” Dual Friction Clutch and Pressure Plate - #DF490030

There are other odds and end included that I have not listed. As you can see from all the parts listed, this engine is not for the faint hearted. This is a very nice setup and will make your Tiger really move. Edlebrock gets 384 HP out of this setup in 302. Now add another 29 cubic inches at more than one HP per CU IN and, well, you get the picture. There is well over $6000 in this package, not including shipping, handling charges and all the invested labor so far. You can have the whole package for $6000. If you have wanted to upgrade to a stroker this is a good opportunity to get a proven package.

Email at maliburevue@yahoo.com or call Gary 310-410-4190 PST

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gary - Sounds like one heckuva package! You are trying to get a second Tiger to have a stock one to go with your hot rod. If I could talk my wife into it, I'd buy another Tiger (NOT a Mk II) to go with your engine to have a hot rod to go with my stocker. Need a bigger garage and a more forgiving wife!

See you this weekend! David

Status
Not open for further replies.