New guy

T15redbaron

Bronze forum user
Hi everyone, My name is Jason. I'm starting to take over my dads project of restoring his 67 Tiger. Its been sitting for about 35 years with the motor and trans out of it. He decided to completely strip the car a about eight years ago and passed away before he could do anything else with it. So now i figured its time to really go after this thing. I know its a 67 tiger and thats all, do not know any of the specifics, like motor or MKI, MKIA or MKII, i was kink of hoping you guys could help with this. I'll load some pics when i figure that part out.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check the VIN Plate

Jason,

Welcome to the World of Tigers! This is a good place to start on your journey and you should find lots of information available.

The easiest way to tell what series is your Tiger is to look at the VIN plate. It should be on the right side of the cowl, above the firewall.

B9470001 - B9473762 Mark 1
B38200001 - B382002706 Mark 1A
B382100001 - B382100633 Mark II

There are a few letters after the number which relate to whether the car was a British export and which side is the steering wheel on.

Since you car is registered as a '67. it is unlikely that it is a Mark 1. In case the VIN plate is missing and you can't find the title, there are some differences that you can tell by looking at the car. If it is a Mark 1, the rear corners of the hood are rounded and not squared. The same is true of the rear corners of the doors and of the trunk. Some of the early Mark 1A's had these rounded corners as Sunbeam was switching over to the newer style. The Mark II's look quite a bit different. They never had the strips running down the side of the car, broken at the door seams and at the "Tiger" script in front of each door. Instead, they had stripes made of black and white tape running just above the rocker panels on both sides. The grill for the Mk II looks like an egg crate, unlike the center motif with a single vertical bar on either side of it as used in the Mk 1 and Mk 1A. The Mk IIs also had molding around each of the wheel well lips.

A lot of these items would have been removed from the car when your dad stripped it, but hopefully you have all of the parts.

Good luck with your car!

David

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard!

Have you considered a road trip down to Dayton to chat with Doug Jennings?

bt

D

dgraway

Join CATO - read & ask questions

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your dad, Memorial Day is always a tough time but glad to hear you have decided to pick up where your dad left off.

Don't worry about being a new guy. I havent been on this forum very long but I can tell you there are a lot of great people on this forum and no question is a bad one.

I started out by joining tiger clubs (CATO & TEAE) and reading books. If you dont have a Roots manual for your tiger you should get one (no such thing as too many books or tools). I also went back to the first posts of this forum and read all the posts from day one.

My tiger is not running yet so I carry pics of my car with me and every time i can i ask other owners questions about their cars.

Good luck,

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Newbie welcomes fellow newbie

Similar spot, but car 'together' before I start. Hasn't run in 8-9 years. Started getting into car just today. First tech post just submitted...lol.

My Dad loved car.....parts...... have lots of cool car.... parts. This one he basically left alone to pull apart the other half baked projects.

I need to get this one going, build some "mo" that we can actually get one on the road and then see what the future brings us.

65 MKIA

We can piggyback on each others questions and try not to drive the list crazy...

Derek

DD (CA)

Warren

Gold forum user
Other sites

Welcome to the party!

The e mail archives on Tigers united and the Big red Sunbeam manuel and the other sites. Every thing has been done before and the road is well worn.

I do not have a shop notes but the new one is coming soon.

I know what you are talking about as something as simple as that Fing little return spring for the brakes can make you pull your hair out when re installing for the first time using zip ties on it when re installing that is golden!

Everyone love pics of Kitty rescues, unless they look like this then we all cry a little..

T15redbaron

Bronze forum user
Jason,

Welcome to the World of Tigers! This is a good place to start on your journey and you should find lots of information available.

The easiest way to tell what series is your Tiger is to look at the VIN plate. It should be on the right side of the cowl, above the firewall.

B9470001 - B9473762 Mark 1
B38200001 - B382002706 Mark 1A
B382100001 - B382100633 Mark II

There are a few letters after the number which relate to whether the car was a British export and which side is the steering wheel on.

Since you car is registered as a '67. it is unlikely that it is a Mark 1. In case the VIN plate is missing and you can't find the title, there are some differences that you can tell by looking at the car. If it is a Mark 1, the rear corners of the hood are rounded and not squared. The same is true of the rear corners of the doors and of the trunk. Some of the early Mark 1A's had these rounded corners as Sunbeam was switching over to the newer style. The Mark II's look quite a bit different. They never had the strips running down the side of the car, broken at the door seams and at the "Tiger" script in front of each door. Instead, they had stripes made of black and white tape running just above the rocker panels on both sides. The grill for the Mk II looks like an egg crate, unlike the center motif with a single vertical bar on either side of it as used in the Mk 1 and Mk 1A. The Mk IIs also had molding around each of the wheel well lips.

A lot of these items would have been removed from the car when your dad stripped it, but hopefully you have all of the parts.

Good luck with your car!

David

I'm liking this place already, i'm also learning a lot from facebook. But buy your numbers i have a MK1A. Again thanks a bunch for all of the info.

T15redbaron

Bronze forum user
Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard!

Have you considered a road trip down to Dayton to chat with Doug Jennings?

bt

I came across that name on facebook and am already looking a reworking my trailer or borrowing one from a friend to get down there, thanks for the suggestion.

T15redbaron

Bronze forum user
Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your dad, Memorial Day is always a tough time but glad to hear you have decided to pick up where your dad left off.

Don't worry about being a new guy. I havent been on this forum very long but I can tell you there are a lot of great people on this forum and no question is a bad one.

I started out by joining tiger clubs (CATO & TEAE) and reading books. If you dont have a Roots manual for your tiger you should get one (no such thing as too many books or tools). I also went back to the first posts of this forum and read all the posts from day one.

My tiger is not running yet so I carry pics of my car with me and every time i can i ask other owners questions about their cars.

Good luck,

I don't think i have a roots manual but i do have a CARBROOKS Shop Manual. I'll have to look for the Roots manual.

Tim Gibbs

Bronze forum user
Welcome to the club!

I am happy to see that i Am no longer the new guy.....and there is a lot of good guys here with a wealth of knowledge of all things Tiger....

After looking at your photos i realized that others also have big projects ahead...i too am restoring a tiger with a personnel connection...

Welcome to the club!

Tim gibbs
Www.sites.google.com/site/tagstiger/home

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Welcome to the Tiger addiction. You have quite the project there but with a little patients and determination it will be done before you know it. This is a great place to ask questions as most of us have gone through something similar.

Ohio Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hells bells, Red Baron. I'm right here in Toledo involved in my own Tiger project. Long time T-Bird / Mustang guy who always wanted a Tiger and finally purchased one this past December. An almost 100% survivor and rust free N. Calif car. I do know enough to be dangerous and certainly would offer to come over and look at your car and fill you in with any info I can that may help. I also own a house in Point Place. Call me, 419-283-8271.

Bill

T15redbaron

Bronze forum user
ok, so after digging a little deeper i figured out why the frame was hacked the way it was. I also found more places that seem to be just butted together with the old torch slag left in place and just bondo covering it. I marked it with white soap stone so you can follow what i'm dealing with. This is the worst patch job i have ever seen, i just hope i can find all of the metal to replace it properly.