New owner. Intro. Long..

68Rcodeman

New forum user
Hello, My name is David Garton and have been looking to add a Tiger to my collection for years. I am a Ford guy and met a member Mike AKA Cal44 on a Bronco site which he mentioned Tigers and I reached out to him and he pointed me to this group. I was the guy having trouble getting past the secret answer to register. My user name tells that I'm into 1968 Cobra Jet Mustangs. R code is 428 big block. So I recently purchased the Tiger that went through Mecum Houston VIN # B382000599LRXFE Authenticated 10-13-2006 and the STOA reads as follows.
Serial# B382000599LRXFE JAL No. 660654
Model. MK1A Engine No. 5623 B19 KC
Original Colour code. 86 Current Colour. BRG
License No. K764138 I.D. Plates secured W/ original rivets (Y)
Certificate No. 0589 and inspected by three members #20, #48, #49

I received the car on 12-9-20 and delivered at night so I was instantly learning that the cars don't have pull switches for headlamps. The next thing I found is the turn signal switch was broken and the handle doesn't stay in the switch but when I hold it in position only one position flashes (Left) so I have been searching the forum for info on switches and seen there are two types. which I have found both but they are in Aussie land and NOS big $$$500.00 ? Is this my only option for a new switch and if so I am leaning toward the later switch so I can add the horn to it as it has a smaller steering wheel with no horn. It does have a horn button added on the right side of the column kind of where a conventual ignition key would go but it doesn't work either. I have driven the car and am very happy with how smooth the drivetrain is. Just a few little fixes needed. The previous owner was Thomas M. Murray out of Live Oak, TX. Any way of finding out history on this baby would be appreciated as I like to document my cars past. Thanks again for adding me to the site and the knowledge of these cars will be something I hope to learn and help others in the future.

Warren

Gold forum user
Great

There's a small clip in the turn signal that is possibly broken.
The dip switch in the turn signal stock was not a US version. It certainly is a great thing to have to use for your horn if you have an aftermarket steering wheel. The little clip is available, and several of us have turn signal switches that are fixable. I have a small box of them laying about. If you know the state that your car lived in before it went to auction you can check to see if they have a form similar to California's INF-70. To find out what that form is put it in the search window above and you'll find the threads. Or look to California DMV online. You can find lots of info on cars by searching the VIN number with and without the LRXFE designation , or by adding the year first sold in front of the VIN number.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Hi David
Welcome to the Tiger 'world' ! Looking at the Book of Norman registry, that car should have trans# HEHE01387, original keys were RM 907 and FS 912 . The car was built on Oct.8 1965. It was reported to the BoN on 02/1972 and was owned then by Don McNeill in Tulsa Oklahoma license # ZX 8712 at that time. A bit of a stretch but you could try quoting that plate # to the OK DMV to see if they have anything... I recently found a P.O. using the BoN to track him down from a 1982 entry. He had moved a few times from the original city of San Carlos, but he had a Facebook account and found him on there!!
Here's a link to a BaT article on the car from 2013 and I also have pics from the 2013 eBay sale if you'd like them...
https://bringatrailer.com/2013/10/09/the-right-one-1965-sunbeam-tiger/#comments

68Rcodeman

New forum user
Thank you

Jim, WOW! Your reply was great and a slough of history. Thanks for the help.

Warren Thank you for your knowledge of the clip issue. The body of the switch is damaged as the handle would have to be epoxied into the the hole of the switch. I reached out to the ebayer and he is firm on his price. I really like the car so I think I will bite the bullet and buy the NOS switch. Thanks again, David

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
David,

Dont buy the switch for that much.. Its way overpriced. Cpntact 65Sunbeam (eric G ) on this forum he can probably sort you out stateside.