Oil pump pressure relief valve

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Hi Everyone,
It's been a long time since I have posted on here.
I went to change my oil in the Tiger today and on removel of the oil filter I found it bone dry inside and as clean as new.
It has never had oil passing through it. The engine is a 5.0L with a Ford motorsport angled adaptor on it with a K&N HP-2009
which is a narrower dia filter to fit in beside the chassis rail.
I think it must be the oil pump pressure relief valve which is not allowing oil into the filter. From what I have found out googling the valve is part of the pump and I will need to remove the pump to check it.
It has always had good oil pressure and in the past oil changes oil in the filter. Any advice or thoughts appreciated before I tear it apart.

Cheers Mal

IMG_0417 sm.JPG

IMG_0418 (1) sm.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mal,

How many miles since you fitted the filter?
The pictures didn't load for me intially, so my thought was perhaps and anti drain back valve in the filter being stuck and not letting oil in...
But perhaps more likely the bypass valve in the filter was faulty and stopped oil ever going in.
I'd take/ send the filter back to the supplier and get them to inspect it... Id suspect that could be the issue...

if the ORPV was stuck you would have had issues with oil pressure.. I suspect this might be an issue with the filter.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael. I didn't record the milage at the last change. I think you are correct with your theory of a bad filter. I ended up droping the sump and removing the pump and everything seems fine with the pressure relief valve. It's an easy job on my Tiger as i have a smaller high torque starter so there is nothing in the way.
Here is a link to mexico made filters.
https://www.boefab.com/blogs/tech/72880067-k-n-hp-2009-filter-comparison

View attachment 16854
Being in the antipodes I'd use a RYCO or Repco filter šŸ˜‰

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Michael , I'm in NZ but was hoping to use something better. Repco got them for me. Now I need to find another brand the same dia to fit.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael , I'm in NZ but was hoping to use something better. Repco got them for me. Now I need to find another brand the same dia to fit.
RYCO are good.. K&N filters are a brand .. but check the actual test on them...the factory autolite etc generally do a better job filtering than many " performance" options

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
RYCO are good.. K&N filters are a brand .. but check the actual test on them...the factory autolite etc generally do a better job filtering than many " performance" options
Filters are no different than the oil going thru them. There are minimum specs as to the way they operate and filter. The micron size of the filter medium will vary depending on the use intended. All of our Wix filters come by container from Bangladesh. We're part of a nationwide buying group of 50 distributors and most of our private label automotive filters come from S Korea. Fram makes a lot of private label filters outside the U.S. and many numbers use a card board base plate and there are many differences in internal relief valves so there could be multiple filters that fit but It's all dependent on the specs set forth by engine manufacturer. Too small of a micron size of the filter medium could starve the bearings of oil and again depends on the pump and the amount of flow thru the oil galleys. The same with the relief valve.

Michael

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Oil filters flow the opposite way most people think: oil is pumped into the small outside holes and comes out the big middle hole. A faulty anti-drainback valve (orange in the picture above) on the filter can prevent oil entering it; you can test that with a punch pushed into the holes. If it seems ok then you can disconnect the coil and crank the engine briefly with the filer off; it can be messy depending the the filer arrangement on your motor. Or you can just try another and see if the filter gets warm when you run the motor.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I took the K&N back to Repco where I purchased it from over 2 years ago. They are going to return it to K&N and see what they have to say.
They did have a Napa gold filter the same dia etc which they gave to me after all that time, so thumbs up to Repco. I fitted the pump and sump and
filled it up with oil, took note of the level on the dipstick and fired it up. The level on the dipstick dropped so I figured it went into the filter.
I took it for a run and all seems fine and the filter is nice and hot so it must be full of oil.
Cheers Mal