Pertronix ignition

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Despite being a stickler for originality today I installed a pertronix electronic ignition set up. In the last month I have been fiddling around with points trying to get a smooth idle and smooth acceleration. I thought I had it all fixed but after 200 miles began running rough and inspection showed the points had closed completely up with excessive point block wear despite cam lube . Resetting them correctly I still struggled to get a smooth idle. Changing points and condenser out didn’t improve things for very long .

I have come to the conclusion that the replacement points and condensers we now can get are junk . Not surprising unlike in the day there is not a lot of demand so most are made offshore to a ( low ) price.

I was left with the option of NOS points and condensers or electronic with no adjustment or worry about wear or failure. I have had a pertronix unit in my Alpine for 15 years without a hitch .

Installed in 10 minutes. Used original coil no issues. Starts and runs smoothly. Tach works as it should. I’ll throw the points and condensor in the trunk as a backup until I can get spare pertronix unit .

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Despite being a stickler for originality today I installed a pertronix electronic ignition set up. In the last month I have been fiddling around with points trying to get a smooth idle and smooth acceleration. I thought I had it all fixed but after 200 miles began running rough and inspection showed the points had closed completely up with excessive point block wear despite cam lube . Resetting them correctly I still struggled to get a smooth idle. Changing points and condenser out didn’t improve things for very long .

I have come to the conclusion that the replacement points and condensers we now can get are junk . Not surprising unlike in the day there is not a lot of demand so most are made offshore to a ( low ) price.

I was left with the option of NOS points and condensers or electronic with no adjustment or worry about wear or failure. I have had a pertronix unit in my Alpine for 15 years without a hitch .

Installed in 10 minutes. Used original coil no issues. Starts and runs smoothly. Tach works as it should. I’ll throw the points and condensor in the trunk as a backup until I can get spare pertronix unit .
Good information! What is the exact part number and where does one buy the Pertronix unit ?
Thanks