Posi / limited-slip for Tigers?

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I recently stumbled on the fact that

there is another option for a Diff for your Tiger.

**NOTE, I have NOT laid hands on this device, yet.

SO, I'm just going by what is seen and heard...**

The GREAT news is it goes RIGHT into the Tiger

WITH the original 19 spline axle shafts!:

https://www.speedmaster79.com/DANA-...rqueWorm-LSD-Limited-Slip-Differential?page=1

Differential+Carriers.jpg

Also, note, the link picture shows 2 different bolt patterns, 3/8 and 7/16??

HOWEVER there is an issue!

As it comes out of the box,

IT WILL NOT WORK in your Tiger!

AND, Currently, If you mention

Sunbeam Tiger, they will not sell it to you!

...even though it has the Tiger listed in the applications.

They have had at least one Tiger person install

it in a Tiger and found a problem!

And the Seller could not suggest a viable FIX.

What is wrong with it?

It is not complete for Tiger use.

This is NOT the same as saying it

will not FIT.

It will go right into your Tiger rear

axle housing.

BUT, it also needs a SPACER installed

between the axle shafts in the center of the Diff.

This is the same issue with a Torsen and Tru-Trac.

The stock Tiger Diff has a captive spacer

that is held in place with the spider gear cross shaft.

The Power-Loc also has a spacer, commonly called

"Buttons"

The reason for the spacer is to transfer side forces

from one axle shaft to the other.

The tapered axle shaft bearing only takes side force from one side.

So the side force from the other side NEEDS to be transferred

from the OTHER axle shaft, THROUGH a spacer.

Some years ago, I remade the spacer in Tom Sakai's Race Tiger

to keep it centered so it cannot touch the side gear splines.

It has TITS that go into the center drilled holes of the axle ends:

P1050951.JPG

DW

Last edited:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I bought a Nitro Helical gear limited slip for my Tiger. They advertised it fitting the Sunbeam Tiger. It does not, due to the issues spmdr noted. There was no hole through the differential to put the button in to transfer the load from one axle to the other, but after much anxiety, many hours on the phone, and the help of Paypal (who I know has been criticized in this forum), I got my money back. I gave up after that.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
the buttons will let you set the endplay power loc is the to go the right way

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I bought the buttons, in fact I will give them free to anyone. The lsd I bought was solid in the middle. You could not transfer load from one axle the other without modifying the lsd.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
For a car that's being driven on the street in a non competitive nature.... this is a complete waste of time... I doubt that I'd want one if I was engaged in competitive driving on a road course... Just about worthless unless you are engaged in in qtr. mile shenanigans... (that's you Sandy!)_ Especially with such a short wheelbase.... and yes, I do have a competitive license.

If you want better handling, you'd be better served dealing with the Ackermann problems up front and making sure that there was adequate compliance in the suspension. Too stiff of a suspension will only provide way too much oversteer (who hoo!!) and way too much understeer (oh shit!!)

As these cars are approaching the point of being too valuable to be competitive in.... I hardly see the need. Most of us are in our 60's... way too old be behaving like we just had our first beer. Like that'd stop some of us!!

It'd be nice if all the people suggesting steering and suspension mods (and pozi) actually understood the benefits and limitations of both.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
To resurrect an old thread:
Duke - Is this the Auburn you are running and if so how is it on the street?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aub-542085

A bit concerned that it contains chemicals that cause cancer..............
Prop 65 warning - what a load of bollocks
Almost every automotive part these days has the warning, oils, metal finishing (Anodizing, Plating, etc.) all have the warning, worse if in California.

Wear gloves, don't breath fumes you should be OK.

I got a Platinum Track which is a combo of the Gear type but with an added clutch pack. The reason is that the gear types, from what I have read have 2 issues, one is they have problems if one wheel is lifted on a no traction surface (ICE), then the diff operates as a single wheel (open) diff does. The other issue is that on heavy use (Race, etc) they can elevate fluid temps, but really never saw anyone in the many, many threads say it went bad because of that.

@toytraingguy
How was the slop verified as being the gears? I don't think they can have much slop unless the ring and pinion were not set up right.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Austin Healer - Are you talking about a spool? They are worthless unless drag racing or mud bogs IMO :) Especially on an axles sets that are not so strong like the Tiger.

My Tiger is being set up for road course and the Torsen style seem to be reported as the best for transition in and out of corners with not much jarring (eg, like a locker can do). Clutch styles work fine too, have had a clutch style in the 65 mustang for years from Strange Engineering (not sure what brand they used) and never made me think it was a problem.

Gave the Platinum Track a go for much of the same reason, smooth transition, but still being able to leave a pair of black rubber tracks if needed, but honestly I have 2 other 9" dropouts built with a conventional Torsen style as it seemed like a good way to go. Time will tell, no practical tested yet, the Tiger gets the first one with the addition of the clutch pack, and anything that helps smoothness on a short wheel base car is a good thing!

Again I'm experimenting a lot so will see how it rolls at some point, make changes, and hit it again.

Long and short of it, no way I would use a spool or welded spyders on a street car, clutch or gear style, but not sure what you can use with stock axles as they are od. Like Buck mentioned Gary has had them out of Jags I guess, but might be good to chat with him on them and how they feel.

Sandy (lots of 2 cents here)