Radiator and fan shroud questions

catatonic

Bronze forum user
I took my Tiger radiator out 15 years ago, expecting to get the car running soon thereafter. Fast forward to now and after sitting so many years, my memory is foggy. The PO had a 4 row core installed in what I presumed to be the original tanks, but that core was shot. I had it re-cored with a 3 row core. When I attempted to install it, I found the tanks contact the core support(pictured) before the radiator brackets are near the attachment points on the core support(pictured). Is there supposed to be a spacer between the radiator brackets and each bolt? My radiator tanks are 2.75" wide. Is that the same width of an original Tiger radiator tank? I bought a reproduction fan shroud from Jeff Howarth and when it is fitted over the radiator there is a 1/2" gap from the top of the shroud to the Tiger sheet metal and upper mounting point(pictured). If the stock radiator tanks are 2.25" wide, that would explain the problem I'm having. I should also mention that the core support may be an Alpine transplant, as the car was in an accident long ago and has some Alpine sheet metal up front. I wouldn't know the difference, if there is one. I hope someone can help me with this problem. Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

P9150003.JPGP9150004.JPGP9150002.JPGP9150006.JPG

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I took my Tiger radiator out 15 years ago, expecting to get the car running soon thereafter. Fast forward to now and after sitting so many years, my memory is foggy. The PO had a 4 row core installed in what I presumed to be the original tanks, but that core was shot. I had it re-cored with a 3 row core. When I attempted to install it, I found the tanks contact the core support(pictured) before the radiator brackets are near the attachment points on the core support(pictured). Is there supposed to be a spacer between the radiator brackets and each bolt? My radiator tanks are 2.75" wide. Is that the same width of an original Tiger radiator tank? I bought a reproduction fan shroud from Jeff Howarth and when it is fitted over the radiator there is a 1/2" gap from the top of the shroud to the Tiger sheet metal and upper mounting point(pictured). If the stock radiator tanks are 2.25" wide, that would explain the problem I'm having. I should also mention that the core support may be an Alpine transplant, as the car was in an accident long ago and has some Alpine sheet metal up front. I wouldn't know the difference, if there is one. I hope someone can help me with this problem. Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

View attachment 18342View attachment 18343View attachment 18344View attachment 18345
Near as I can tell, the side tanks are + - 1.75” in width. You could plug that surrounding edge with something to take up the slack if you needed to.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Yes, it is an Alpine radiator support (series 4) and hinge panel. You can tell the hinge panel is Alpine because the alloy riv-nuts for the fan shroud are absent. The core support is also Alpine as it is missing the threaded round bungs for mounting the radiator (series 4 Alpine or Mk1 Tiger) Mk1a and Mk2 Tigers used the series 5 Alpine radiator core support as it no longer had to be modified to suit a Tiger. in the 1st pic the threaded outer round bungs are for mounting the radiator in a Mk1 Tiger. Series 4 Alpines wouldn't have these. in the 2nd pic the threaded riv-nuts for the fan shroud are visible in the center of the hood hinge panel close to the inboard (radiator) edge.

The radiator tank where it joins to the core at the flanges is 2 3/8" wide on a factory radiator

P9151523.JPG
P9151524.JPG

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Attached is a pic of a rebuilt factory Tiger radiator. The flange where the tank solders to the core is 2 3/8" wide

P9151525.JPG

catatonic

Bronze forum user
Thank you Austin Healer, that answers a couple questions I had about my car. My car does have threaded nuts, that correspond to the radiator mounting brackets, attached to the other side of the core support. I need to make some bungs to space the radiator brackets from the core support, like in Austin Healer's photo #1. The problem is that my radiator tanks contact the core support a 1/4" before the radiator brackets (as seen in my photo #4) would otherwise make contact with the threaded bungs, if they were in place. Mr55's tanks are +-1.75". Thank you for taking the measurement and responding. That is quite a bit narrower than my 2.75"radiator tanks.

catatonic

Bronze forum user
Thank you again Austin Healer for the tank measurement. I guess I need to take my radiator back to the shop to narrow or replace the flange, where the tanks are soldered to the core.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thank you Austin Healer, that answers a couple questions I had about my car. My car does have threaded nuts, that correspond to the radiator mounting brackets, attached to the other side of the core support. I need to make some bungs to space the radiator brackets from the core support, like in Austin Healer's photo #1. The problem is that my radiator tanks contact the core support a 1/4" before the radiator brackets (as seen in my photo #4) would otherwise make contact with the threaded bungs, if they were in place. Mr55's tanks are +-1.75". Thank you for taking the measurement and responding. That is quite a bit narrower than my 2.75"radiator tanks.
you are very welcome! the weldnuts on the front side of the core support (grille side) are for an Alpine radiator. Jensen brazed the round bungs to the inside of the core support to suit the Tiger radiator. The tank flanges can be no wider than 2 3/8" for the fan shroud to fit properly. I bougt one of Jeff's fan shrouds as well and it fit perfectly.