Recent Work

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought I would post a few shots of my motor, trans and front end before I put them back in my mk2.

I rebuilt the toploader and replaced 2nd gear as is was getting a little grumpy.

The front end work consisted of replacing the bushings, springs, lower ball joints and r and r'ing the rack as it had a little leak and needed shimming.

Maliburevue Gary (not from Malibu, don't be fooled) guided me through the installation of a posi. I also replaced the rear springs.

I thought I had tons of time before TU and now it's only about a month away.

regards
Bob J.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lookin' Good!

Bob,

Looks very nice - great job. Good luck dropping in (or should I say raising up) your engine/tranny.

Thanks for sharing the photos and your progress.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
wow--looks great, you almost hate to install it -- no one will see your workmanship.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
sump

Hi, thanks for the kind words, I'm lucky that I live close to Dave W's meticulous mk2, if I'm not sure about something I just copy his car.
Michael, the pan came on the white mk1a that I bought a couple of years ago and it's a repro.
Probably the only reason I put it on was that it looks good and I own it.
My old stock steel oil pan had a couple of small dents that would have resulted in holes in the lat pan.
It's also really heavy at 18#'s.
Like others have said recently it didn't represent much- if any- improvement over the stamped steel pan.
I'd like to get the motor installed and running this weekend so I have plenty of time to deal with snafus that are bound to occur.
Bob

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,

Thanks for the info, I know the LAT pans are very heavy.. and i agree that they offer that much of an advantage with cooling (be easier to put an oil cooler on and save the weight gain)

But if you are not tracking the car and not running it to low at the front they are a sweet addition on a car with LAT rocker covers and other options.. :cool: car is looking great... and bet you cant wait to get it back on the road.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
engine

while its still not in car you should vent the tranny- also remove oil filter screw before install. just a thought- also can you tell me what is the wire that runs between tranny and the bellhousing?

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
engine

sorry to to picky- but its much easier to fix while out of car- your damper looks like the rubber is coming loose- this happens with age- your timing degrees will moving and won't be correct- hope this helps

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
motor

Hi Bryan, the vent hole in the middle of the little dome in the top cover is open and the gasket for the cover has holes so the case can breathe, are you looking at something else?

I removed the block oil filter nipple last night, it must have been torqued to 200# because it was a bear to get off.

That thing that looks like a wire is the profile of one of the mk2 clutch slave bracket legs.

I called and asked a local expert about the damper and he said it was prudent to replace the old one no matter how it looked. I found a nice US made Scott Drake damper for $95 so I just ordered that, thanks for the nudge.

Bob

Last edited:

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
engine

hi- most of the time the vent at the top of cover plate isn't enough- it builds a lot of pressure- I've just did a boss 302 and it was blowing oil both ends of trans- there is a small vent pipe that you get to install just after of cover plate on the tail housing to cure all that. good you got a new damper- you also can buy a 289 hipo that they remake. if you want. bryan