Steering column bearings

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have a Tiger steering column with mucked up upper and lower bearing cups. They are the same as the upper bearings in the Alpine column. Does anyone know of an alternative, or a more modern bearing to substitute? How hard are they to remove and replace? Thanks, David

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Unobtainium

I have a Tiger steering column with mucked up upper and lower bearing cups. They are the same as the upper bearings in the Alpine column. Does anyone know of an alternative, or a more modern bearing to substitute? How hard are they to remove and replace? Thanks, David

Yup: We're still trying to chase something down to remedy the issues. Not an easy solution and often destructive just taking the things apart. Tim Morin made some replacements for a while but I suspect the calculator uncovered the true costs.

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I managed to take mine apart, clean them up and re-install. Reminded me of needle bearings in my dads old lawnboy! Hope they work for another 50 years!

I thought a set showed up on eBay once I got mine done. Typical.

Warren

Gold forum user
Picture

Does anyone have a picture handy? I remember seeing one some time ago. Some measurements would be nice too.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Is there no modern alternative or can a substitute not be made?

I have made conversion steering head bearings for my motorcycles in the past so how difficult can it be........................
A drawing would help answer this question

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Some Barnyard Fix

Our local Cobra innovator modified a pilot bushing on the lathe for me once. We kept the same retention method of the spring & circlip. It's starting to get a bit sloppy but has held it's own for some time now. The spring has worn a slight groove in the bushing, but nothing of impact.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone have a picture handy? I remember seeing one some time ago. Some measurements would be nice too.

Here ya go...

IMG_4962_zpsoddeejfy.jpg

IMG_4961_zpsxw7e6weu.jpg

IMG_4960_zps72dktwqf.jpg

IMG_4959_zpsmxjh7k5k.jpg

IMG_4958_zpsakvo1syx.jpg

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi David, I bought bearings from Tim Morin 3/4 years ago. He said it was his last set and that he had sold his stock to someone in Fla. His machine shop was in Fredericksburg, TX.

You're welcome to my used bearings, just let me know and I'll mail them in a padded envelope. Since you've already disassembled the column, you already know how it goes. The balls are available, the felt for battery posts work and fit around the cup and also hold the bearings in for installation. The races can be polished. Grease them good. I used engine assembly grease which I had. The pin which holds the steering shafts together needs to be real snug since it prevents the steering wheel from coming out the top altogether while driving. Randy says he micro welds the pin in to prevent failure. But, I can't weld that small and then how do you remove it if needed? I used some thread locker (it's not threaded) and my pin fits real tight. I don't think it's coming out. If you messed your pin up, Lowes has pins which could be cut for length. Sounds like you've got every thing under control if you can get another bearing or two. Let me know if you want my old bearings. Cliff

Tiger2Dan

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Upper Steering Bushing

Not original solution, But I had some bushings made for my Alpine V6 steering column.

They are a very hard plastic and durable. Utilized for my EPS steering because I could not get replacement for the stock bearing race that had worn badly.

Attachments

• Upper shaft with bushing for ALpine steering.jpg
    Upper shaft with bushing for ALpine steering.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178
  • EPS new bushing mounted.  Screw indicates a fix for the bearing retention 20180217_190036.jpg
    EPS new bushing mounted. Screw indicates a fix for the bearing retention 20180217_190036.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 187