Steering column rebuild

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Mine is notchy, and I understand that the bearings are NLA.

Does anyone rebuild these, or any suggestions on how to go about doing so?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mine is notchy, and I understand that the bearings are NLA.

Does anyone rebuild these, or any suggestions on how to go about doing so?
The notchy is usually the fragile races giving out (NLA). The balls can be had at any hardware store. Rust, wear & dirt win every time. I'm machining some Delrin outer bushings with S.S. inserts that will replace the bicycle bearing. The compression spring and circlip must still be used. I'll let the groups know how the testing goes.

Warren

Gold forum user
The notchy is usually the fragile races giving out (NLA). The balls can be had at any hardware store. Rust, wear & dirt win every time. I'm machining some Delrin outer bushings with S.S. inserts that will replace the bicycle bearing. The compression spring and circlip must still be used. I'll let the groups know how the testing goes.
Probably from the same English bicycle that they got the accelerator cable from :)

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had some success on one 'notchy' race by using a large socket with a rounded top edge, and used that as an anvil to smooth the 'notchy' bumps by tapping with a light small nylon head hammer when race was then set on top of the socket to shape. Worked on one, but another was too far gone and from memory cracked - so easy does it. Spares getting harder to find and hate to mention that you can try to find spare from Alpine column (sorry Alpine owners). To add, removal of the bearing safest from outside using small brass punch on edge of race outside of column tube gently, do not try to hammer bearing/race out out using the center column shaft as a drift - the race is very soft material and will 'ding/notch' easily.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have heard see this problem a lot over the years and hope your delrin solution works (and if it does, suggest you make several spares with bet you can sell easily).

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Thanks for the offer, but I think that I have it figured out using a bearing so that it will look stock in my MKI version with the spring on the bottom. . Will try and get to it this week once the bearings are in hand

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks for the offer, but I think that I have it figured out using a bearing so that it will look stock in my MKI version with the spring on the bottom. . Will try and get to it this week once the bearings are in hand
you're welcome!

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI an Alpine steering column bearing (only has 1 bearing) is the same as both bearings in Tiger column - so you can usually find a replacement bearing from Alpine spare steering column/box assembly (they are one assembly in an Alpine, you will need to find 2 if you need both bearings) - suggest you look into Alpine steering box/column bearing to see what I mean. Again, my apologies to Alpine owners.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
FYI an Alpine steering column bearing (only has 1 bearing) is the same as both bearings in Tiger column - so you can usually find a replacement bearing from Alpine spare steering column/box assembly (they are one assembly in an Alpine, you will need to find 2 if you need both bearings) - suggest you look into Alpine steering box/column bearing to see what I mean. Again, my apologies to Alpine owners.

Yes, but replacing a bad bearing and more importantly a bad unobtainable race with another used problematic part is not the route I want to take.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
A better solution is needed using a proper sealed bearing, with the goal of maintaining a stock appearing steering column. The first concept was a sealed needle bearing running directly on the stock steering shaft - a simple and compact solution that would look stock, but a bearing directly on the non-hardened shaft ran an unacceptable risk of vibration causing the bearings to gall on the shaft and possibly seize.

The easy solution is to machine an external collar to hold a standard sealed ball bearing, but this would not meet the requirement that the end result should appear stock. Unfortunately, there is no standard sealed ball bearing that would fit internally, however I did locate some double sealed, non-standard, 25mm ID x 40mm OD x 12mm ball bearings that would work.

It is necessary to machine the stock 1” shaft to fit the 25mm bearing and bore the outer pipe sleeve .030” to the bearing OD. A collar was machined to preload the bearing and centre the spring. The stock spring, spacer washer, and snap ring is used, and with the snap ring in the stock groove, the column appears stock.

Both my cars are early MKI Tigers, and use the same spring arrangement on each end of the shaft. The later Tigers used a different arrangement on one end of the shaft, however a similar strategy can be used.

The machine work was about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, and I bought a few extra non-standard metric bearings if anyone wants to give it a go

20220620_111428.jpg

20220620_111436.jpg

20220620_111442.jpg

20220620_111645.jpg

20220620_114806.jpg

20220620_114907.jpg

20220620_121727.jpg

20220620_121735.jpg

20220620_121749.jpg

Last edited:

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hoghead, I like your solution here, very clever and it will be the last time you will have to deal with it.

I do remember someone selling a bearing that was supposed to fit without machining anything but I'm not sure who that was.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Hoghead, I like your solution here, very clever and it will be the last time you will have to deal with it.

I do remember someone selling a bearing that was supposed to fit without machining anything but I'm not sure who that was.
Before embarking on this journey, I googled a bit and found that Jim Barnes used an expensive (100 USD ea.) combination axial & radial bearing from Grainger, that still required a similar amount of machine work. I decided that as one has to machine anyway, it would be better to use a simple ball or needle bearing. As I could find no suitable standard size bearing, I had no alternative but to import several sets these non-standard bearings from my last supplier source of choice.
If there is a bearing that would work, I am all ears