Swapped front hub?

TigerScott

New forum user
CAT Member
Hello all! After a long hiatus from working on my Tiger, I finally got a chance to get back at it and all of it's problems. It has always had wheels I wasn't fond of with odd lug nut adapters and I would like to upgrade soon. However, it has rear hubs/disc brakes I could never identify which held me back. Thinking of getting a set of wheels, I measured the rear hub bolt pattern (not the adapters) and it appears to be 4x4.5 rather than 4x4.25 (I sort of expected it to be non-stock), hoever the front appears the same 4x4.5 pattern even though the front hubs look quite similar to the original Tiger/Alpine hub. Can someone confirm I am measuring this correctly in the attached pic? Were there any simple mods for the that could be made back in the early 80's that would account for this perhaps with a car with a similar bolt-on front hub? Any guesses on the rear hub donor would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
-Scott

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5577.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks like the rear hub that is pictured, you can see the leaf spring and shock absorber
Oops.. you are correct..can see the rear leg and leaf.. was was reading his comment about the front hubs being 4*4.5 but looking stock...

TigerScott

New forum user
CAT Member
Dang, sorry all. I forgot to add the pic of the front hub as well. I will add it shortly. Thanks for the early replies!

TigerScott

New forum user
CAT Member
Sorry for the delay all. Here are some pics of the front hub as well as the wheel for reference. Again, any help is appreciated!

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5600.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Front hubs have been redrileld.

What kind of wheels are you wanting to switch to?
4x4.5 offers a lot more wheel choice because of the JDM market and also the BMC and standard triumph cars... So not a bad thing

If you want to go back to 4*4.25... while a bit more $ . If you are going to 15" wheels would could get some stock hubs front and rear and buy the modem Willowood disc kit and upgrade brakes all round

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The rear axles don’t appear to have the Tiger’s separate hubs and axles. Is it still a Dana 44 type rear housing or has the whole axle assembly been replaced?

TigerScott

New forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I will look at some wheels in this size and go from there and there are definielty more options in this size. I was thinking of something like the minilite style, or something similar, but not something I spend too much on either since I have plenty to spend just getting everything roadworthy again.

As for the rear axle, if I recall correctly it is still a dana 44, but I am not sure if or how it was modified besides these hubs and brakes. The rear axle does sit a bit wider than normal I believe so it is possible it is not at all stock anymore. Not sure how I would check that.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You can get the American libre wheels (petal) in 14*6 and 7 in 4.5 pcd quite easily.... minilite style are everywhere....