Torquing front suspension

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I know that when rebuilding the front suspension that the fulcrum pins need torquing with the weight of the car on it . My question is does the same apply for the the bolts holding the fulcrum pins to the cross member and the upper / lower ball joints The sway bar will also be torqued with the car on the ground , guess I need the engine in the car as well before torquing Thanks for any advice

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Tony, do you have a copy of the shop manual? If not, here's a link to the shop manual online at Tigers United. Kirk http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/wsmF1.asp
I do have a copy of the shop manual It does not mention when to torque the control arms to the crossmember. With the suspension out of the car the springs do put a lot of pressure on the control arm mounting bolts and this pressure will probably be reduced when the suspension has the weight of the car on it That is why I ask the question of when to torque the control mounting bolts , there is no mention of when they should be torqued , the only mention is to torque the fulcrum pins with the weight on the crossmember to prevent stressing the bushings. Thanks for the reply

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well, I’ve never had the pleasure of doing that job- thankfully- sorry I don’t have any tips to offer.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think it's safe to say you can torque the mounting bolts with the front end in the air. None of those connections should ever move. To be extra safe you could re-torque them with the wheels on the ground but some might be hard to access then.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I think it's safe to say you can torque the mounting bolts with the front end in the air. None of those connections should ever move. To be extra safe you could re-torque them with the wheels on the ground but some might be hard to access then.
Would it be a good idea to use blue loctite on the threads ?
Thanks for your input

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you refer to your original manufacturers scheduled maintenance documents, that I'm sure EVERYONE has,

You will see there are several hardware points that need checking at regular mileage intervals.

Included in them are the front lower A-arm fulcrum bolts and the rear drive shaft bolts as well as others.

DW