track day meeting cancelled

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Unfortunately, no Tigers showed up for the Cobra Track Day. THe club meeting scheduled for noon has been cancelled.

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No TIgers showed up for track day at Willow Springs. THe club meeting scheduled for noon today is cancelled.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Tiger’s did show

Unfortunately, no Tigers showed up for the Cobra Track Day. THe club meeting scheduled for noon has been cancelled.

I hate to disagree but there were Tigers there and an owner without. I personally find it wrong to cancel at 9am when the meeting was schedule for 12noon.

If the meeting was held and no one showed up then it would be correct to say something about poor attendance, maybe CATS can find a way to gage who is going to up and then make a decision to cancel for lack of interest.

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Caught in the middle

With many apologies if you went, but the original intent of the track day was to have a performance oriented event as requested last year by an informal poll as opposed to just meeting up at a restaurant. With the COVID cancelling most of our events, our thought was people would be excited to get out on the track and be one of the few COVID compliant events we actually can do. Also, part of the pitch was even if you were not on the track, you'd see other Tigers out on the track. Last year there was a good turnout.

With several people commenting on how far a drive it is and to pay $15 entrance fee, I felt it would be in bad form to have a meeting with no cars participating out on the track and save people the disappointment. I went out the night before and set up a Tiger Club area and after no one arrived by Saturday morning and attended the mandatory driver's meeting, I decided to call off the meeting and tried to get the word out as soon as possible with an e-mail at 9:45 am and forum posting which hoped to catch everyone. Obviously it did not, and again, apologies to anyone who didn't get the word in time.

In the future, before committing to doing this again, an RSVP system will be employed.

Attachments

• IMG_8845.JPG
    IMG_8845.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8844.jpg
    IMG_8844.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 71

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Apology accepted. But I and my Tiger were there at 9:00.

But, for perspective, I think any meeting South of San Fernando Valley is too far to drive and 15 dollars is too much to pay for a mediocre meal.

Willow Springs Raceway is a rare jewel in the desert. It will be a shame when it is gone.

The weather was great!

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Also...

Just to be clear, the $15 was the entrance fee to the track, not to the club. I wasn't charging anyone for a mediocre meal. Most club events will be south of the San Fernando Valley as that's where most people reside. This was one of the few that was to the north.

Please feel free to suggest and organize a club event. With COVID and such, any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated.

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did a quick loop of the parking and didn't see anyone. went to west parking lot (near go kart track) to off-load from trailer, then parked Tiger along pit wall. That was right before the first run group went out.
I hope this turnout doesnt mean we won't put this event on club calendar again. It usually has a good turnout, and provides good variety for members. I just think there was no discussion (enthusiasm) about it on forum, so people didnt want to commit to it.
This is what it looked like in 2013:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBdTNxi-K4

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just to be clear, the $15 was the entrance fee to the track, not to the club. I wasn't charging anyone for a mediocre meal. Most club events will be south of the San Fernando Valley as that's where most people reside. This was one of the few that was to the north.

Please feel free to suggest and organize a club event. With COVID and such, any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated.

My point was missed there.....

The $15 dollar entry is minimal compared to the expense of meetings at restaurants, or British car meet at Woodley Park, or most other events.

I think the notion that it was too expensive is ridiculous.