Trailer Parking at SUNI

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In a few weeks many of us will be on the road to SUNI. About 60 of us are trailering.

That large number would overflow the Hotel's parking capacity so we arranged for trailer parking in the lot of some closed stores in the mall across the street from the Hotel. Unfortunately that mall has now been foreclosed on. Despite a number of requests, the new owners of the mall have not yet told us if they will honor our original agreement. So to guarantee trailer parking we contracted with a nearby Sears store (closed) to use their lot for parking our trailers. (And some will also be parking their motor homes there as well.) Also, the local hockey arena has offered us some parking which we probably won't need.

This lack of clarity about the availability of the lot across the street from the hotel has prevented Chass Jones from contacting you with a definite trailer parking plan. In the interim we just want you to know that trailer parking is already contracted and definitely will be available. Also, we want you to understand why we are delaying sending you specifics for trailer parking.

Below, #1 shows our host hotel. Only Rootes vehicles will be allowed to park in the Hotel's north lot where where overnight security will be provided.
#2 shows the lot across the street. #3 shows the parking area for the closed Sears store, while #4 shows the location of the local hockey arena.

Looking forward to seeing you at SUNI!

Buck

1629921972013.png

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The last number I saw was slightly over 180.
On a different note, SUNI is largely an open air event. To make it even more so we'll have registration and mini-hospitality based out of a trailer in the parking areas for Rootes vehicles.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In a few weeks many of us will be on the road to SUNI. About 60 of us are trailering.

That large number would overflow the Hotel's parking capacity so we arranged for trailer parking in the lot of some closed stores in the mall across the street from the Hotel. Unfortunately that mall has now been foreclosed on. Despite a number of requests, the new owners of the mall have not yet told us if they will honor our original agreement. So to guarantee trailer parking we contracted with a nearby Sears store (closed) to use their lot for parking our trailers. (And some will also be parking their motor homes there as well.) Also, the local hockey arena has offered us some parking which we probably won't need.

This lack of clarity about the availability of the lot across the street from the hotel has prevented Chass Jones from contacting you with a definite trailer parking plan. In the interim we just want you to know that trailer parking is already contracted and definitely will be available. Also, we want you to understand why we are delaying sending you specifics for trailer parking.

Below, #1 shows our host hotel. Only Rootes vehicles will be allowed to park in the Hotel's north lot where where overnight security will be provided.
#2 shows the lot across the street. #3 shows the parking area for the closed Sears store, while #4 shows the location of the local hockey arena.

Looking forward to seeing you at SUNI!

Buck

View attachment 14127
Will there be security for the trailer parking area? Closed malls usually don't have lighting so everything will be in the dark. Think of the value of the trailers, spare tires and related equipment and tools. Most folks don't have insurance to cover the loss of these items so why not have someone in the lots over night?

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lot 1, where the Rootes cars will be parked, will have overnight security.
We do not have permission at this time to use Lot 2.
Lot 3
at the closed Sears store is a large mall with many stores still open and it has security. Additionally at least one participant will be overnighting there in his motor home. Sears will be our main trailer parking area.
I'm sure if you want more security you could arrange for it. The question is cost. Will those with trailers want to pay more for extra security? We have been quoted $38 per hour.
Or 60 people each standing a single 1 hour night time watch could be a less expensive way to get the job done. Or a combination. eg If someone didn't want to stand watch they could pay the $38 for the hour.
Would you like to contact the 60 people trailering to try to arrange this?
Also, there is a strong possibility that Lot 4 will become available. As far as I know, unlike Sears, there is no security at lot 4 but it is much closer to the hotel. It is too small to hold all of our trailers.
FYI, The huge proportion of those chosing trailering to this event (75%?) put a huge and unexpected load on parking spaces which forced us to rent the Sears parking lot for them. That put a dent in our budget and for the event to pay for any extra security would put us way into the red.
Maybe a generous benefactor could donate $1500 which would go a long way towards getting the overnight hours covered?
Buck

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lot 1, where the Rootes cars will be parked, will have overnight security.
We do not have permission at this time to use Lot 2.
Lot 3
at the closed Sears store is a large mall with many stores still open and it has security. Additionally at least one participant will be overnighting there in his motor home. Sears will be our main trailer parking area.
I'm sure if you want more security you could arrange for it. The question is cost. Will those with trailers want to pay more for extra security? We have been quoted $38 per hour.
Or 60 people each standing a single 1 hour night time watch could be a less expensive way to get the job done. Or a combination. eg If someone didn't want to stand watch they could pay the $38 for the hour.
Would you like to contact the 60 people trailering to try to arrange this?
Also, there is a strong possibility that Lot 4 will become available. As far as I know, unlike Sears, there is no security at lot 4 but it is much closer to the hotel. It is too small to hold all of our trailers.
FYI, The huge proportion of those chosing trailering to this event (75%?) put a huge and unexpected load on parking spaces which forced us to rent the Sears parking lot for them. That put a dent in our budget and for the event to pay for any extra security would put us way into the red.
Maybe a generous benefactor could donate $1500 which would go a long way towards getting the overnight hours covered?
Buck
Buck,
Thanks for addressing the trailer situation. I've been involved in setting up meets of this nature and it seems as owners age and the value of the cars increases the use of trailers increases so we do need ample parking for the trailers. Here in this part of the world trailer parking is one of the items addressed when planning a meet. A few of us east of the Mississippi have had a discussion concerning the possible lack of security in the trailer parking areas and if needed we have a plan about securing our trailers together to prevent someone pulling one away or breaking into it and and driving away with winches, tools or other items. Spare tires mounted in the open air seem to be an item often stolen. See you next week!

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I'll be one of those trailering, so I would be willing to stand watch for an hour,or chip in ~$25 toward security ($1500/60). It seems like cheap insurance to me, to see that we all go home with what we brought.

JimsCat

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I am also willing to contribute to a fund to provide security for our trailers.