Vintage Rootes buildings

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's a few pics of a couple of Rootes buildings in Vancouver B.C. ... a friend of mine's father was parts superintendent back in the day...

Jim
B382000446

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Really great shots. If you have them with higher resolution we could make posters...

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rover

I noticed that the signs for the late 50s building listed Rover and Land Rover. Was Rover part of Rootes then? Or was Rootes the distributor for Rover in Canada?

The earlier building looks like it might have been converted from a WWII Quonset hut.

Cool photos - thanks!

David

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In the states the Rootes distributors must have had the concession for Rover and Land rover as well as rootes products. I have some dealer invoices and warranty cars from 1962 and they list Hillman, Singer, Sunbeam, Commer and Rover and Land Rover as well at the end,

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
arched building

That looks like one of the 'warehouse' versions of the Quonset, 40' span without straight side walls.

It might have been purchased from the US Army, they used to sell them as a kit to the public after the war.

It's kind of funny when the production and use of the Quonset hut is cited as a great example of US innovation and efficiency, the US version was a copy of a WW1 English design called a Nissen Hut and then renamed.

Attached are pictures of my shop:

Bob J.