Who rebuilding tachs now for a Pertronix IIIs?

pappentl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My tach is bouncing all over. I'm currently running a Pertronix III; who rebuilds or provides a new board to settle my tach down? Most threads on this seem to be many years old.

TIA.

Tom
B9473100

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
As an alternative... I can supply brand new tachs in either 8k or 5.5 k version s both with modern internals and I recently sold one to a Tiger owner running Pertronics III and it works fine US$225 for either plus shipping
5_5 tach.jpg
tach front.jpg
tach back.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My tach is bouncing all over. I'm currently running a Pertronix III; who rebuilds or provides a new board to settle my tach down? Most threads on this seem to be many years old.

TIA.

Tom
B9473100
I prefer and use Nisonger Instruments. Along with up dating the electronics, Peter provides a very specific printed page detailing connections for both module and control box install. No affil/etc etc

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I prefer and use Nisonger Instruments. Along with up dating the electronics, Peter provides a very specific printed page detailing connections for both module and control box install. No affil/etc etc
I've used Nisonger not only for rebuilding instruments but also for rebuilding fuel tank sending units.. Really good work and they stand behind their what they do.

Warren

Gold forum user
Tom Hall had offered a board in the past. Also seen a thread probably on the Alpine site a DiY .
Lots of conversation on how the inductive little loop must be attached with the clip as originally fitted as well and how that may work for some Pertronix user's.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thats the mg midget based tach that shows up in the LAT brochure..
You could buy one of jims matched face gauges... Or for your tach follow tom H suggestion .. Or see if there is a module offered by moss or the mg suppliers for their tachs with electronic igntion conversions.
Do you have anything like this?

View attachment 13494

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Do you have anything like this?

View attachment 13494
I actually DO have a tach much like yours... There has been a great deal of discussion on whether there ever was a LAT 22 tach like that ever made and sold but I'm guessing that yours was 'created' by someone and not an actual LAT 22 ?? I have one of the 'created' ones here and it's very close to what you have but it is still an RVI with the loop on the back and would need to be upgraded! I also had a customer that wanted me to have one built to look just like the LAT 22 in the brochure which is pretty much identical to the tach in my wife's Sprite. That one I did DOES have modern internals and will work on Pertronics III ... He wanted it with a white pointer so that's what I had built . The last pic is the 'modern' one I had done for my wife's Sprite.
I have no use for the 'red' pointer RVI one... could also have another 'modern' one done if you want but I guess it would depend on what's the most 'cost' effective !

LAT 22 RVI red.jpg

LAT 22 tach.jpg

Sprite tach.JPG

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
All of the Smiths tachs (Jaeger too) will work for 4, 6 or 8 cylinder applications. There is an internal rheostat for adjustment to facilitate cylinder count. Most of these Smiths tachs were initially set up for a positive ground system, but are easily rewired internally (just 2 connections) to change polarity. This type was used in mid 60's MGB's.

I have a series 5 Alpine tach in my MK2 as it reads to 7K. No point in buying another gauge. I just changed the 4cyl to 8 cyl and adjusted the tach for the extra cylinders. Just took a few minutes.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This is a pretty old thread now, but I designed and build the boards that Tom Hall and I have installed in Tiger, Alpine and MG tachs as well as some more offbeat applications. The board was initially developed to let me directly connect the tach output from a MSD 6AL box, but later I added an amplifier to allow the stock current trigger (common to all Smiths/Jaeger RVI tachs) to be used. As a bonus, that amplifier permitted the use of Pertronix and other points-replacement distributors without having to do any special tweaks.

Since 2001, I've built several hundred of these modules and Tom and I, as well as some other Tiger people with the requisite skills have refurbished many tachs, as an alternative to the work done by Nissonger, Mo-Ma (?) and to the newer stepper motor based tachs that Jim offers . Over the last couple of years, the demand has abated pretty significantly and it would help us to know, from Tiger owners like you, whether it's worth doing another run of boards.