Wiper clean and wiring help needed

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cleaning the motor and painting up the brackets on the wiper motor to see if I can fit to the car and if anything in the way I'm adding might hit it.

Question: Which 2 wires out of the motor are power. One is for park, but not sure. I think the double connector is 12V+.

Tossing a few pics up too

20220601_092555.jpg

20220601_092601.jpg

20220601_092617.jpg

20220601_092809.jpg

20220702_084950.jpg

20220702_085053.jpg

20220702_085100.jpg

20220702_092005.jpg

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just went to the Garage Lab and started trying it on a power supply seems double connector is 12V+ and Red is ground. Need to double check a grounded motor body is not a problem.

(IGNORE PICTURE WIRE COLORS, Tested with 12V+ on the GREEN and Ground on the RED faded)

20220702_102955.jpg

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Cleaning the motor and painting up the brackets on the wiper motor to see if I can fit to the car and if anything in the way I'm adding might hit it.

Question: Which 2 wires out of the motor are power. One is for park, but not sure. I think the double connector is 12V+.

Tossing a few pics up too

View attachment 15678

View attachment 15679

View attachment 15680

View attachment 15681

View attachment 15682

View attachment 15683

View attachment 15684

View attachment 15685
That's NOT how the motor was originally wired. The 6WA motor is a 2 speed unit. There are three wires coming out of the motor, plus a ground wire attached to the base of the motor which is connected to the mounting bracket. The motor is supplied voltage (positive) constantly as long as the key is in the on position. The speed wires (red/green and brown) work by being grounded individually for fast, and combined for slow. The wiper switch is the same part as the headlight switch. the first "on" position is slow, the second on position is fast. so when the first is selected both the red/grn and brown wires are switched to ground, the second position only energized the red/grn wire for fast.

when bench testing the wiper motor, connect a wire from the ground (black wire) to the negative terminal of a battery, then connect a jumper from the green wire to the positive terminal of a battery. to test "fast" speed touch the red/green wire to the negative terminal of the battery. To test slow, combine the red/green and brown and touch to the negative terminal of the battery.

In order for the motor to work correctly and self park, these are the proper connections

Green to fuse box (through the wiring harness)
Red/green tracer (fast speed) connects to wiper switch through a 2 wire subharness
Brown (slow speed) the other wire in the 2-wire subharness
Black on body of wiper to wiper bracket

The wiper motor must have the black wiper "jumper wire" connected to the mounting bracket or the wiper motor will not function. This is because the wiper motor has rubber mounts which will isolate it from grounding. These were there to insulate the wiper motor from the car to eliminate noise/vibration

There is a ground wire connected to the wiper switch to the body to complete the circuit.

It is a peculiarity of Lucas wiper motors that they have a constant power and ground connection, this is so they can self park once the switch is put in the "off" position. the other wires coming out of the motors are basically interrupted ground connections. internally, under the park adjust cap is another interruptable ground in the form of a sprung brass contact that allows the circuit to complete when the switch is turned off. It has a 120 degree arced brass contact plate and the motor will run until the spring connector rotates past the contact plate.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not looking to wire as original. Looking to have it just be able to turn on. Since I don't need park and only one speed I think what I have would be the same. My colors are badly faded but green with double connector and red (might be green/red) sound like it is fine since I do not need or want the parking feature. Just need it to work and not emit Lucas smoke.

To recap, no auto park so no grounding of motor case needed. No second speed needed so is this is likely correct for my use.

12v+ green / red
Gnd red

Thanks for more details, actually interesting how it works

Sandy

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Not looking to wire as original. Looking to have it just be able to turn on. Since I don't need park and only one speed I think what I have would be the same. My colors are badly faded but green with double connector and red (might be green/red) sound like it is fine since I do not need or want the parking feature. Just need it to work and not emit Lucas smoke.

To recap, no auto park so no grounding of motor case needed. No second speed needed so is this is likely correct for my use.

12v+ green / red
Gnd red

Thanks for more details, actually interesting how it works

Sandy
Might just let all of the smoke out of it wiring it that way. Green wire is 121 V POSITIVE, red/green and brown/light green are NEGATIVE... connecting either the brown/light green or the red/green wires to the green wire will result in a dead short.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Might just let all of the smoke out of it wiring it that way. Green wire is 121 V POSITIVE, red/green and brown/light green are NEGATIVE... connecting either the brown/light green or the red/green wires to the green wire will result in a dead short.
Not sure you got what I was saying but I think we are saying the same.

12v to the green
GND to Red with Green tracer as you call it.

Works like a champ that way in testing.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Yes, that will work.. I assume that you are running the red/green wire to a switch with ground on the other side. That will provide the "fast" speed with no access to the slow speed and the self park function will not work. I cannot imagine why you'd want to wire it that way, now that you know how to wire it correctly, but... it's your car.

You've gone all the way making it pretty, I'd think you'd want it to function properly. There is absolutely no risk of letting the "smoke" out of it if wired properly as it is on a fused circuit.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, that will work.. I assume that you are running the red/green wire to a switch with ground on the other side. That will provide the "fast" speed with no access to the slow speed and the self park function will not work. I cannot imagine why you'd want to wire it that way, now that you know how to wire it correctly, but... it's your car.

You've gone all the way making it pretty, I'd think you'd want it to function properly. There is absolutely no risk of letting the "smoke" out of it if wired properly as it is on a fused circuit.
It's a race car so no need for it to work unless inspected. I do not have any needs otherwise for wipers. No stock switches either but really just need it to move if needed without all the extras.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sandy, understand its just a race car and the wipers there for tech.. But if fitting the heavy wiper motor and its working...a few extra wires wont add anything of note but will make it better functioning.. IF you ever need to use it... May as well just wire it stock
It's a race car so no need for it to work unless inspected. I do not have any needs otherwise for wipers. No stock switches either but really just need it to move if needed without all the extras.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can't wire it stock, as I don't have a stock harness. The switches I used may have a configuration that would work, but I would have to get one as I recall all I have is a SPST, but Tiger needs a DPST as it seems. Again, not really a big deal, pics of the changed dash below.

IMAG1656.jpg

IMAG1694.jpg

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just don't want to add any more wires or work, I now getting slow and lazy. I looked at the date of the wiring on the dash, early 2016 so I need to not do more but finish something ;)

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I understand now! if you hook up the ground jumper from the body (screw) on the bottom of the wiper motor to the body (mounting bracket), the wiper motor will self park as designed, you'll just have the one speed.