1 Inch Sway Bar Fit

Brigand

Silver forum user
My Tiger has a 1" sway bar fitted to the front. The method for attaching it to the cross member is decidedly home made, and nowhere near robust enough.
Has anyone else got a bar of this size fitted, and if so please could you post a photo of the fixings?
Thanks.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My $.02

Back last century, I played 1 inch front bars quite a bit.

I fought the mounting tooth and nail.

I broke ALL the parts, many times!

I stopped braking parts AFTER biting the bullet

and bending the bar(s) to fit the car(s).

If you have to fight to put the bar on,

It's coming off sooner than if it goes on without a fight.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
How do you spell relief...
Sounds like a commercial doesn't it. Well actually is getting a sway bar on or lots of other jobs done on one of our cars. Just like the illustrative story of removing the back spark plug. I found the three hand job do able with a welding vise grip clamp.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The sway bar is really easiest to install when you flatten the lower A-arms horizontal to each other. A simple pair of ratchet tie-downs to collapse the suspension a bit and the job makes you look like a pro.

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
My Tiger has a 1" sway bar fitted to the front. The method for attaching it to the cross member is decidedly home made, and nowhere near robust enough.
Has anyone else got a bar of this size fitted, and if so please could you post a photo of the fixings?
Thanks.
These are on a vintage raced Tiger, same brackets used with 1” rubber bushings.

6C0F942F-8A76-4C37-B5C9-7963A683B7F1.jpeg

F1EFF008-81D6-4D0C-8167-3B6F44A99765.jpeg

Brigand

Silver forum user
Thank you for posting, I assumed the original type fixings would not work with a 1" bar, but obviously not đź‘Ť

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I bought polyurethane mounts for the 1" Tiger bar from SuperPro in Australia. They even used to offer them in two different hardnesses.

I totally agree with Dan about the fit of the bar. It's pretty easy to tweak the bars so they test fit so parallel to the front of the lower control arm that it's hard to see light between the bar and the arm.
Hint: Bends "want" to straighten themselves out. You can fit it by banging it hard against concrete pavement, with a stroke like an ax spitting firewood.

Buck