1964 Series IV Alpine EFI conversion

sierra_alpine

Bronze forum user
Hello all,

I have struggled to determine where I wanted to go with this build...
I entertained the following:
1. V8 Swap
2. V6 Swap
3. Rotary Swap
4. Settled on EFI swap and use existing engine and trans.

If you want to watch my process please check me out and follow on Instagram (@sierra.alpine).

I am just waiting for a few more parts but here is where the project stands:
-Pulled engine and trans
-Replaced trans with used good condition transmission
-Converted Alpine to negative ground
-Tach has been re-soldered to take a negative ground signal from the coil.
-All gauges have been removed serviced(cleaned), reinstalled and reversed polarity to accept negative ground.
-Heater motor has also been reversed so it doesn't run backwards.
-Replaced Coil
-Replaced Dizzy with True Spark Negative ground unit.
-Replaced valve cover gasket with new cork one.
-Installed new EFI lines and return line back to fuel tank.
-Waiting for Holley Sniper (autolite 1100) on backorder until 5/22
-Purchased new clutch, release bearing
-Sent pressure plate to be rebuilt by Fort wayne clutch and driveline

Basically waiting for parts now.

I will update as soon as there is more progress, but best way to follow is on Instagram.
1000008338.jpg

20240321_142049.jpg

20240323_155032.jpg

20240326_212134.jpg

20240329_212203.jpg

20240329_212005.jpg

20240329_212119.jpg

20240329_212031.jpg

20240326_221941.jpg

Last edited:

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I think you will be pleased, I did the EFI swap on my Tiger and really like it. With the high-pressure pump under the trunk floor, do you need the surge tank? I feel like you could eliminate the low pressure pump, the surge tank, and one of the tank return lines that are shown in your drawing.

sierra_alpine

Bronze forum user
Oh yes the drawing I had is not what ended up in the final product. Since the two fuel tanks route to that large pipe to connect it basically acts as a surge tank so I just built it out without the surge tank and run the return line back exactly as it is shown in the holley diagram. Its not going to be pulling enough fuel to suck air and only cornering could be a problem as extreme situations such as Autocross events.

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Do keep us informed on your progress!

I used the sniper setup also. The car starts quickly with the turn of the key, and settles into a ~700rpm idle within a couple of seconds. The only complaint I have was that the standard Holley Sniper pump is loud (mine is in the spare tire well). I have a Holley gerotor pump that is supposed to be quieter, but haven't yet tried it.

sierra_alpine

Bronze forum user
Do keep us informed on your progress!

I used the sniper setup also. The car starts quickly with the turn of the key, and settles into a ~700rpm idle within a couple of seconds. The only complaint I have was that the standard Holley Sniper pump is loud (mine is in the spare tire well). I have a Holley gerotor pump that is supposed to be quieter, but haven't yet tried it.
Oh good that bodes well for me; this is my first use of the sniper or efi conversion on anything. There are a couple extra steps to get it to work with the Alpine's holbay engine. I had to order the smallest option Holley had which is the autolite 1100 sniper (single injector good for up to 175 hp), then had an adaptor plate made at a local machine shop to go from the autolite 1100 port (holley side) to the webber 32/36 (intake manifold side) that was in place from the existing weber carb conversion.

I will for sure update here, but if you have instagram please do follow me @sierra.alpine that is where I do most of my updates and have been documenting with all the photos. If it ends up being a solid solution i will do an in depth installation write up on it and post it to the forum so others may use it as a guide to do theirs as well.

As for the

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Had you considered the Jenvey throttle bodies... They are Fi versions of weber carbs... Do basically an ITB setup.

sierra_alpine

Bronze forum user
Had you considered the Jenvey throttle bodies... They are Fi versions of weber carbs... Do basically an ITB setup.
Oh yes I've seen those before it would have been very cool, but the thing that sold me on the sniper was the ease of install and self tuning map. I already have all those Holley stuff so too late now haha 😂

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oh yes I've seen those before it would have been very cool, but the thing that sold me on the sniper was the ease of install and self tuning map. I already have all those Holley stuff so too late now haha 😂
Fair enough... Just thought I'd mention them.. if I wasn't running well dialed in DCOE id look into them myself.

MK_Engine Alpine_01.jpg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hello all,

I have struggled to determine where I wanted to go with this build...
I entertained the following:
1. V8 Swap
2. V6 Swap
3. Rotary Swap
4. Settled on EFI swap and use existing engine and trans.

If you want to watch my process please check me out and follow on Instagram (@sierra.alpine).

I am just waiting for a few more parts but here is where the project stands:
-Pulled engine and trans
-Replaced trans with used good condition transmission
-Converted Alpine to negative ground
-Tach has been re-soldered to take a negative ground signal from the coil.
-All gauges have been removed serviced(cleaned), reinstalled and reversed polarity to accept negative ground.
-Heater motor has also been reversed so it doesn't run backwards.
-Replaced Coil
-Replaced Dizzy with True Spark Negative ground unit.
-Replaced valve cover gasket with new cork one.
-Installed new EFI lines and return line back to fuel tank.
-Waiting for Holley Sniper (autolite 1100) on backorder until 5/22
-Purchased new clutch, release bearing
-Sent pressure plate to be rebuilt by Fort wayne clutch and driveline

Basically waiting for parts now.

I will update as soon as there is more progress, but best way to follow is on Instagram.View attachment 19188

View attachment 19189

View attachment 19190

View attachment 19192

View attachment 19193

View attachment 19194

View attachment 19195

View attachment 19196

View attachment 19197
What was your reason for leaving the filters and pump exposed under the trunk floor or do you plan to move them to a safer location later?

sierra_alpine

Bronze forum user
That is where the fuel line was routed before, only difference is there was a metal shroud that went over it which i plan on fabricating. Holley requires that the pump is as close to the fuel tank as possible so thats what i did. I think itll be fine.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fair enough... Just thought I'd mention them.. if I wasn't running well dialed in DCOE id look into them myself.

View attachment 19199
Michael - Great looking engine! Is there some sort of air filter element that goes over the DCOE? And would your set up still fit if you had the steering column on the other side, such as for a LHD Alpine?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
you needn't have bothered with all of the electrical work. The gauges and heater don't care about polarity and will function just fine. The Jaegar and Smiths electronic tachs do need to be converted, but it's just switching one wire inside as there's a diode and power can only pass through a diode in one direction.

SU fuel pumps can now be purchased that are dual polarity, if you had a pos ground pump it would have had to be replaced... again, those pesky diodes are the reason.

sierra_alpine

Bronze forum user
you needn't have bothered with all of the electrical work. The gauges and heater don't care about polarity and will function just fine. The Jaegar and Smiths electronic tachs do need to be converted, but it's just switching one wire inside as there's a diode and power can only pass through a diode in one direction.

SU fuel pumps can now be purchased that are dual polarity, if you had a pos ground pump it would have had to be replaced... again, those pesky diodes are the reason.
Ah bummer haha okay well what's done didn't hurt then. I did swap the wire and diode in the smith tach to make it negative ground compatible already so should be good to go.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael - Great looking engine! Is there some sort of air filter element that goes over the DCOE? And would your set up still fit if you had the steering column on the other side, such as for a LHD Alpine?
David will mail you with more info.. but essentially with this manifold...yes... One of the only ones that works easier with the LHD as it's a gooseneck/Sean neck that lifts the carbs up over the steering box .. but 1 bolt gets a bit close and the brake clutch or brake MC is better to switch to the remote reservoir like on a series V.

MK_Engine Alpine_02.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That looks so nice. Any videos of it running up through the gears?
If your talking about mine.. I have some somewhere with a go pro from a few years back.
I'm a bit under the pump at work right now, but I'll email you soon with some of the engine build info you arf looking for, but I still strongly recommend you drop.into the saoca forum and check the thread DanW, Jerry and I have been posting in on the race motor build..