1965 Tiger

wilster

New forum user
CAT Member
I've attached a brochure of sorts on the car. I'm located in Danville, CA--the car is currently at my parent's home in Aptos, CA. I'm asking $65k OBO. I recently purchased it from an estate sale in Texas--it needed some minor fixes (new tires & alignment, carburetor adjustment, fuel filter, wax) and it is currently in very good shape. I'm selling as I purchased a track prepped version of the same car and don't have the garage space for two of these ;-)

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 4.39.05 PM.png

Attachments

• 1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk Ia.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 208

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just a heads up.. The car is a MKI not IA... This car has nose lettering, mki seats, no fresh air vents, metal top covers.. And a B947 bin not B3280

Warren

Gold forum user
Michael seems to be very late production MK1 . Certainly odd to see the bin covers on a square corner car, nicely presented.

Welcome Will, and how about a few pics of the new one, the track car. I've found that it's impossible to drive more than one at a time.
I have driven a two collector bicycles or a CT90 and a bicycle at the same time though. :)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael seems to be very late production MK1 . Certainly odd to see the bin covers on a square corner car, nicely presented.
Hey Warren,

I would say not rare to see the metal top covers on a square car...these were the cross body cars as per the late SIV alpine...in Tigers these introduced the GT interior.. Square bonnet and doors round boot and used the deeper 1/4 window bases and F
Doortop rolls and pleated door panels

wilster

New forum user
CAT Member
Yes, sorry for the mislabeled pdf file, it is a MK1 (not 1A)--my dad put the file together as it is at his house and he's been tinkering with the car getting it ready for sale.

wilster

New forum user
CAT Member

Welcome Will, and how about a few pics of the new one, the track car. I've found that it's impossible to drive more than one at a time.
I have driven a two collector bicycles or a CT90 and a bicycle at the same time though. :)
Hi Warren, here are some pics of the track car ;-)

IMG_6806.jpeg

67847983331__55726C52-7C8F-47B8-9368-CB7CE58E9D22.jpeg

67820582838__D4A142D0-5F3F-4D52-8224-E9C0D2D91316.jpeg

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the photos Will, very nice car. I especially like the unclutered engine compartment. Interesting way of handeling oil breathers without going through carb or air cleaner. I like the bonnet air vent and without the LAT scoop seems to accent the stock, sleek classic look. Dark blue paint really adds to the quality of the car. Care to share some of the car's modifications such as engine , drive train and performance? Thanks for your posts and good luck selling your other Tiger. Cliff

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hey Warren,

I would say not rare to see the metal top covers on a square car...these were the cross body cars as per the late SIV alpine...in Tigers these introduced the GT interior.. Square bonnet and doors round boot and used the deeper 1/4 window bases and F
Doortop rolls and pleated door panels
Yup just like my car 3252

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
except... unless I am completely blind... It has round cornered doors and a round cornered hood... It should have the metal covers...

Warren

Gold forum user
That's a great way to hide the damage from too heavy parade rider. I've been wondering do that cover landau top look or get out the torch and tools for shrinking and making flat again.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
That's a great way to hide the damage from too heavy parade rider. I've been wondering do that cover landau top look or get out the torch and tools for shrinking and making flat again.
When the metal covers are correctly fitted they look classy and look so much better than the later fabric cover

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On the green car, yes... On the blue car NO... it has a round corner hood and round corner doors.... should have metal top covers..
Id guess someone added the SV style soft top for convenience of operation espcially with a roll bar.

If you get a square corner car with an early vin, or a round corner car with a later Vin then questions start.. But having a small detail change when the rest is consistent is ok... Seen a fee owners switch s3/iv alpines to SV softtop setup

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Id guess someone added the SV style soft top for convenience of operation espcially with a roll bar.

If you get a square corner car with an early vin, or a round corner car with a later Vin then questions start.. But having a small detail change when the rest is consistent is ok... Seen a fee owners switch s3/iv alpines to SV softtop setup
The switch to a vinyl top cover started at B9479975PPLRXFE which was the prototype Mk1a (PP47). it was built in July 1965. This particular car had a unique rear bulkhead completely unlike a normal Series V or Mk1a Tiger. The car had a sq. corner hood and doors and round corner trunk lid. Plus footwell vents. it's the car on the trailer behind me in the picture

When all of the design elements were finalized, the new B382 sequence of Mk1's began (what we call a Mk1a). Only cars with B382 chassis numbers should have vinyl top covers. Converting a B947 car isn't an easy thing, you'd need to source all three rear top well parts from another car and do a substantial amount of welding... and only starts people asking....is this a reshell... Kind of like retrofitting footwell vents in a B947 car... It can be done, but it's a ton of work!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Photos showing the top boot area of an Alpine with the metal top doors and the top boot area of the Mk 1A Tiger. I took the photo of the Tiger after installation of the upholstery panels. You can see the red area above the upholstery panel where the waist roll sets. It appears that Rootes squared off the sides and did away with the captive nut for the side doors. I've also seen cars converted to the later style top boot area when using a roll bar.
107_0253.JPG
100_0477.JPG

Warren

Gold forum user
Wasn't this a for sale ad for the green car? Most that fit a roll bar to early cars remove the bin covers and they get lost in the garage. Then possibly a make do fix occurs. It always seems a disproportionate number of Tigers are for sale. Probably because of the wide net of the www. Clearly one doesn't hear of every secretaries car or Camaro that's listed. .