1966 Tiger garage find

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I've used a small lawnmower tank before on a gravity feed. Don't let the epoxy coating in the tanks make more work.

We are going to try to run it off a plastic tank outside the car to see if it will stay running. It want's to go, just wants fuel. Then I will figure out what to do about the tanks and lines. Might even toss a fuel cell in the trunk as a make shift solution.

From the little bit of reading I've done, it's a little bit more complicated than I originally thought. With the bronco, I just bought a new tank. This is a bit different. Everything I do will be reversible and non intrusive.

KenF

Gold forum user
Connected power to pump and it runs, but seems there is a plugged fuel line from the tank to the filter before the pump. Pulled the line to the pump off and tried some compressed air and it is solidly plugged. Need to get it in the air to see what it's going to take to make a new one as I do not see any aftermarket.
Had the same problem in my Tiger, which sat for decades. I tried using 1/8" steel braided cables, frayed at the ends, like Roto-Rooter, to clear out the lines. That might be worth a try. Eventually I ended up ordering new pre-bent lines from ClassicTube.com.

Nice find! Welcome to the obsession! (y)

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Current plan is to make it a Sunday driver. May throw an aftermarket FI system and DUI distributor on it to make it a little nicer to drive on longer trips.
Honestly the original carb and distributor rebuilt arr reliable and easy... If you want some more pep an edelbrock or holley 465 carb and period F4b will be more than enough... Dont see a real benefit for a stock car for weekend drives using FI unless you really want to stop the old car petrol smell

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If he decides to switch to an aftermarket injection system I would strongly suggest the Holley unit. Lots of positive feed back from owners. I bought two FiTech conversions from Jegs for use on Ford 302 engines. The FiTech units have a long history of the control unit not keeping it's programming. I'm not the only person to have the same problem. Their tech line folks were no help at all. Carbs can be adjusted but poor electronics mean the use of a roll back when they fail.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
We are going to try to run it off a plastic tank outside the car to see if it will stay running. It want's to go, just wants fuel. Then I will figure out what to do about the tanks and lines. Might even toss a fuel cell in the trunk as a make shift solution.

From the little bit of reading I've done, it's a little bit more complicated than I originally thought. With the bronco, I just bought a new tank. This is a bit different. Everything I do will be reversible and non intrusive.
When I took my fuel system out the tanks were bone dry and had zero rust or sediment also the fuel line was the same with no dust when I blew them out. I replaced the rubber connectors for the crossover tubes and the equalizer 1/2 inch rubber hose. And rubber filler connector. Since the system was totally free from rust I did not bother stripping the interiors of the tanks of any coating that was factory original if any. I do not see that there will be a problem with any coating coming off when I refuel them in the future I just donā€™t understand why the system was totally dust free I did get a new SU pump for it and will keep its original location since the car is totally original apart from a Edelbrock manifold and Holley carb which I will change to an Edelbrock 500 cfm
Good luck on a real nice looking Tiger

Warren

Gold forum user
Stopping the eu di garage means no more vented gas cap. Plus a way to run the fuel bowls empty. A bench rebuild with spray is likely better than tossing 30 buck at the nearly useless chem dip .

As for tank options I've thought about hanging a dune buggy style tank just behind the convertible top well. Unless I follow the Austin Healey group about across several towns and a couple counties I could easily deal with a 5 to 8 gallon tank. Definitely a 5 if I hang back with the Bug-eye Sprite's.

The stock tanks are no fun to remove. There's a couple good recent threads here and on the Alpine forum.
Deeper is the cut and hack and shank some originality of installing a Mustang/Falcon tank but then you have the exhaust pipes routing dilemma.As well as the shear ability of the filler neck in a rear ender. If you are lucky the rubber rotted and the fuel left the tanks, if not it's a mess...

K.I.S. Smartly and think twice or three times before drilling and maybe 5 times before cutting.

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Honestly the original carb and distributor rebuilt arr reliable and easy... If you want some more pep an edelbrock or holley 465 carb and period F4b will be more than enough... Dont see a real benefit for a stock car for weekend drives using FI unless you really want to stop the old car petrol smell

I already have a Holley Sniper 2 barrel on the Bronco. It works fine and mileage has increased substantially, well as good of mileage as you can get on 37"s around town, or at 1/16MPH over giant boulders in the woods. Its more about not fussing with a carb and points with the Sniper and a DUI distributor.

Thanks to who posted the link to the fuel lines. That may be the route I go if I don't just make my own. My biggest challenge right now is space, I have to much stuff for a 2 car garage. Keep your eyes out for some listings in the FOR SALE section in the coming weeks.

Warren

Gold forum user
QUOTE="Klaus and Cary,

Thanks to who posted the link to the fuel lines. That may be the route I go if I don't just make my own. My biggest challenge right now is space, I have to much stuff for a 2 car garage. Keep your eyes out for some listings in the FOR SALE section in the coming weeks.
[/QUOTE]

Love a garage sale old Honda motorcycles and pre and post war bikes. Glad you are making room for the Tiger.

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
QUOTE="Klaus and Cary,

Love a garage sale old Honda motorcycles and pre and post war bikes. Glad you are making room for the Tiger.
[/QUOTE]

It doubles as our woodshop/welding shop/laundry/pantry/storage. No old bikes though.

Question. I see a couple gaps in the Tiger Tales Archives. I may have them. The mod looks to have been inactive for a while. How can we add to the collection. Here is a bit of what we got with the car. That is a 5" binder. My wife is awesome and put everything that was not already 3=hole punched by the previous owner in plastic sleeves.

20221212_192959.jpg
20221212_193255 (4).jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Don't recall the exact issues we are missing in the our scanning program. I was only the guy that rounded up some volunteers. I'll use the share option to get Bob to reply.

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Since I know the tank to fuel pump line is clogged(tried blowing air up the line) We tried a line from gas can to pump inlet. Pump made a lot of noise and shook a bunch just like it was trying to draw off the plugged line, but same result. No fuels to engine.

As we have time we will continue to eliminate if it's a line issue from front to back or a pump issue. I may skip a few steps and just wire in a spare pump I have to the filter before the carb. I want to hear it run, and I feel confident it will, just need to sort out the other little issues to make it work as intended. Stay tuned.....
12.13.22.jpg

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Pump is definitely toast. Going to wire in a temp electric holley I had in the bronco before going FI. Also took out the Miles Master Pressure regulator that was installed in the engine bay and replaced it with rubber fuel line for the time being. The glass bowl was cracked and brokenso I'm pretty sure it was going to leak. Blew out the lines from the carb to the pump and they were a bit gross, but clear. Going to spray some carb cleaner in them before putting in the temp pump. Hope to have motor running (probably poorly) tomorrow or Sunday depending on what my wife has planned for us this weekend.

In the picture is the broken Miles Master and a piece of the broken oil pressure line I need to replace. The top of the lower box is my current boneyard for broken parts.

12.16.22 Milesmaster.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If it has the original carb the " power valve" might be stuck and make for a very difficult start and hard to keep running.

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Float was stuck, so we took the top off the carb and got it working, cleaned it out fairly good and got it to stop puking fuel everywhere(I had the same issues with the bronco when it was carbed). Fired it up and IT'S ALIVE. Smoked for a bit , and wouldn't idle then eventually sucked something we must have missed while cleaning out the bowl and plugged the jets. But it ran, fairly well for about 45 seconds to a minute before it died. Tomorrow is carb rebuild day and perhaps moving under it's own power.

One issue I noticed is the brake fluid reservoir ran dry after we got it running without touching the brakes. Previous owner did mention something about a weird vacuum brake system that only functioned with the motor running. Will be doing a bit of research and think I know where all that fluid went(what looks like a booster bolted to the pass side firewall).

Lastly, this is odd to me for a ford V-8. Is this a British thing that was done by Rootes, or is this some aftermarket item like the Milesmaster? My super jealous neighbor came over after we got the carb off and mentioned he had something similar on his Triumph.
12.17.22 Carb plate.jpg
TIA

Warren

Gold forum user
The Holley fuel pumps put out about 7 PSI . These motors call for 3 to 5.
The last two I installed was a stock SU nice quiet and a Holley 7 max louder than the motor at idle. It leaked out the rotor vane housing less than 300 miles. I got a Facet relocated it to the spare tire well.
Why test a possibly weak float valve with more pressure. One back fire out the carb and there's a bigger mess. BTW remember that you have only 30 days coverage on an added vehicle with most insurance carriers and only for what coverage you have now.

Put it up on stands to go through the gears as it sounds like it will not stop for long. There's a brake booster that you need to bypass . That is a carb preheat on the manifold not helpful in our climate.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One issue I noticed is the brake fluid reservoir ran dry after we got it running without touching the brakes. Previous owner did mention something about a weird vacuum brake system that only functioned with the motor running. Will be doing a bit of research and think I know where all that fluid went(what looks like a booster bolted to the pass side firewall).
The brake servo ( booster) will fail, seals etc dried out after ao long and likely sucked all the fluid and its sitting in the big chamber in it... Be careful of fluid going everywhere when you open it.

You can bypass the boosters and have a firm pedal or biy a different bore MC to help .

If you want to rebuild the booster speak to @0neoffive

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
So after a carb rebuild, it actually runs pretty good.

Replaced the oil pressure gauge line, broke the plastic one by just looking at it. We replaced it with a copper line(half of it was already copper) and I found I am once again a contortionist. Holy cow these things are TINY. It has great pressure.

Thanks to my wife for getting the steering column bolts back in, I got angry as one wanted to cross thread. She persisted, head in the foot well and got the correct loose/tight sequence to get the last bolt in without cross threading it. :love:

As we reveled in our success, reality set in. Brakes are next. As mentioned above, I will probably just bypass the booster for the time being. She will be ordering all new soft lines tomorrow(she has the next 2 weeks off..lucky her). We also started going through and sorting out what weather striping and grommets we will need. The list is LONG, but I'd like doors that don't rattle to much and grommets that can keep most of the smells out of the cabin compartment. We have the bronco for that fun.

Anyway, as we went through some of the parts, we found a brand new headliner for the hard top, in great usable condition, as well as this rubber gasket in the same bag. Without taking the top off, I am guessing this is the rear top to body gasket? Confirmation would be appreciated. Oh and if anyone know how to post a video, we have video of it running on it's own for the first time in about 40 years.šŸ˜Ž

20221218_182015.jpg
20221218_182022.jpg

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Question. I see a couple gaps in the Tiger Tales Archives. I may have them. The mod looks to have been inactive for a while. How can we add to the collection. Here is a bit of what we got with the car. That is a 5" binder. My wife is awesome and put everything that was not already 3=hole punched by the previous owner in plastic sleeves.
I was actually looking at the TT archive material today. Last year Bob Josten re-scanned all the 1971-1981 originals that he had access to; I need to rescale them to reduce them to reasonable size for web use. We already have the 1982-2006 bunch in pretty good shape. Duke Samouce (the previous web admin) pushed all the TT issues to a Google drive, but we do not need to do that anymore. I'm (slowly) working up a way to reasonably organize 53+ years of issues. Stay Tuned!

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
So after 2 trips to SS, we think we have the right interior kit. We purchased one on Monday with a bunch of other parts, and when we got home and pulled it out of the box we realized something was off. A little more research and a couple emails later we confirmed it was wrong and that we would need to drive back down to exchange it.

By the time we got home today and needing to get ready to have family here at Christmas we decided to just tackle a couple small items this afternoon. My wife replaced the under hood rubber seal and then, with some assistance from me, the hood bumpers/buffers. We adjusted each of them and the hood closes nicely and should make for a rattle free drive. We also drilled out the rivets and installed a new spec plate as the original was missing.

We both have the next week off, so after Christmas we will work on rebuilding the brake booster and the spare SU fuel pump that came with the car, which I am guessing to be the original. It still has the "U" bent portion of line attached.

I also would like to add that whatever material the original gaskets and seals for the boy were made from turns into the finest powder I have ever dealt with, I think it's already plugged up my HEPA filter(n)

Boring picture...

Hood gasket and Bupers.jpg

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
some tigers only had rivets installed- data plates were being discontinued- but were fill with rivets-sorry