'66 Tiger (w/289/LAT intake * carb) Interference

Chris Major

Silver forum user
All,

Have purchased '66 MK1A w/289 upgrade having the LAT F4B(w/assoc 650 Carb & original oval air cleaner). The car has a LAT hood that is touching hood when closed. I believe I read on a previous thread that ther have been issues with regard to motor mounts being correct height/dim. Is there a link to this article I can get? There are no shims/etc on manifold and really don't want to shave the intake.

SS has given me measurements of the shortest air cleaner I can get (1 3/8"). Maybe mine is too tall?

Any other ideas???

Thanks in advance,

Chris Major

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I don't have a link to the publication but there should be
1/4" spacers under the motor mounts effectively lowering the motor
by that much. These were put in at the factory but often get tossed
when the motor gets R&R'd as extra parts ????

Moondoggie

Erich

Gold forum user
Actually, the spacers RAISE the motor to create clearance between fan and rack and pinion box.

I have an F4b manifold, Edelbrock carb and stock air cleaner with the K&N filter that SS sells. I do NOT have room for the PCV spacer underneath the carb. With just a gasket between carb and manifold I have clearance with my LAT hood.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I am in the same boat--my air cleaner barely touches the hood, I may try a thinner filter too.

Warren

Gold forum user
Also in that Boat

So to clear the LAT style hood we need the stock air cleaner, or which model of a period correct replacement? The triangle shaped Edelbrock looks OKAY I guess, it is just the made in Taiwann stamp on it that bothers me. I have some friend in the boat biz that could fashion a fiberglass repop if I just had a OG for a mold....

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
As I understand it, you can attach the pcv valve hose directly to the F4B intake manifold if your carb does not have a port for that. Thus you do not need a spacer with a port underneath the carb with such a connection. My Holley 600 cfm is like that but I understand the smaller Holley 4 barrels are not. I can run the thinner K&N filter with the f4b but have a factory lat hood that gives a little more clearance, I think. Maybe the holley is not as tall as some of the other carbs available?

FWIW, I have heard those triangle shaped foam filters are significantly more restrictive than the more traditionally shaped paper type elements, but cannot cite a source for the information.

Cheers, Gene

cleandan

Silver forum user
Chris, when trying to fit things under the hood be certain to measure the clearance between the carb choke horn/vent tube and the inside of the filter lid. This critical distance is often overlooked and becomes a high air speed problem often causing a very lean condition during high demand engine use only. If the air entering the carb becomes too restricted due to not enough air cleaner surface area it will act like a choke causing the engine to run rich or seem like the carb is not opening fully. If the air is restricted because there is interferance causing the air to have difficulty entering the carb, sharp bends, turbulence, not enough room for sufficient air, and so on during high demand only the carb does not act like it is choked. The carb acts like it is leaning out. This leaning out can cause all sorts of running and power issues that are often wrongfully assumed to be other engine issues.

Brigand

Silver forum user
Chris, when trying to fit things under the hood be certain to measure the clearance between the carb choke horn/vent tube and the inside of the filter lid. This critical distance is often overlooked and becomes a high air speed problem often causing a very lean condition during high demand engine use only.

Very interesting; and possibly a problem on my car. What should the minimum distance be between choke horn & filter lid?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I don't feel that the stock filter will flow what my 400+ HP needs. I use a different filter for daily driving -

P7010064.jpg

I also had the intake manifold carb deck machined down about 3/4" to allow for a 1/2 holley spacer and heat shield. That is also an option for your carb clearance issues.