Alloy heads

steven

Gold forum user
Will these fit on a standard 260? They are on a Ebay Australia site for $800
1 pair of reconditioned ford windsor alloy Edelbrock Performer RPM cylinder heads. these came of a 302 windsor but mat suit other combo's.
Heads come complete with original valves, springs, retainers, locks and guide plates.
Have been lightly machined to clean up head gasket surfaces.
New valve seals fitted also.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steven,

You can fit alloy heads to the 260's, but you have to check a couple of things, what size chambers the heads have so that you dont lower compression to much and the vlave size and if they require the pistons with notches to clear them. I have some of the info on this in some files.. will go look it up tomorrow

As for the heads.. given the high AU$ and the now comon use fo alloy heads.. these may not be that much cheaper than brand new ones bought from summit or a similar supplier.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
2 cents

In the 260 bore size, certain large valve heads can be wider than the hole you're trying to stick them in . . . . . . . . .have the seller send you the actual valve spread dimension st .5" lift to determine interference potential.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Compression Ratio

The stock 260 came with a static compression ratio of ~8.8:1 using 54 cc heads. Edelbrock RPM heads are 60 cc, which would drop your static compression ratio down to ~8.1 unless you change to a custom made pop-up piston, otherwise your performance will drop off significantly. At least you would be able to use real cheap gas. Aluminum heads are wonderful, but they have to be matched to the engine configuration.

johnnydarkgt350

Bronze forum user
aluminum heads

hey experts; why doesnt he have .020 or .030; taken off those awesome heads and adjust his compr ratio that way?;i've heard just use some common sense on port alignment and :"have it your way":):rolleyes:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
hey experts; why doesnt he have .020 or .030; taken off those awesome heads and adjust his compr ratio that way?;i've heard just use some common sense on port alignment and :"have it your way":):rolleyes:

Valves will hit pistons. Pistons will need reliefs cut in them regardless.

The best way to get performance out of the 260 is to pull it and put it on a engine stand in the garage. Then install a 289/302/331 or 347. Pick the displacement according to your HP desire.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
^^^^ NICE.....thanks for showing me that just after I installed a 347.

Just put a Holley 700 DP on my engine and the engine likes it alot. Need some dyno time now.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Duke,

Does it have mechanical secondaries?? The reason I ask is I had a 4150DP
w/mechanicals on my car that I recently changed back to vacum. I found that
the throttle linkage did not have enough horizontal movement to fully
open the secondaries under wot. To get the right travel I had to raise
the excellerator so high above the brake pedal it was just frecking scary.

Moondoggie

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke,

Does it have mechanical secondaries?? The reason I ask is I had a 4150DP
w/mechanicals on my car that I recently changed back to vacum. I found that
the throttle linkage did not have enough horizontal movement to fully
open the secondaries under wot. To get the right travel I had to raise
the excellerator so high above the brake pedal it was just frecking scary.

Moondoggie

Yes it does. I can get the secondaries 90% open with the pedal movement. That is plenty believe me.

Not sure what is different with mine but the peddle in not too high up.