Alpine FS in Costa Mesa

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
This Alpine was a trade in on an older Porsche. A friend tipped me that a Sunbeam was on the lot. Turns out is is a S V 395008925? and reported to be in great condition by the friend. There are pics on the website link below. The dealer stocks mostly classic Porsche automobiles. Asking $12,500? now.

http://www.carparcusa.com/

Do not ask me about it please. No affiliation and I have not seen it myself. try henk@carparcusa.com

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Car is presentable, but whats the going rate for an alpine in the states? They always seem cheap compared to here and UK. 12,500 from what i can tell is starting to get towards the bettrr end on most normal alpines there.

Down here it would sell for 12,500.. but it needs detail work:

wrong internal door handles
missing horn ring
soft top boot cover is either wrong or mucked up
engine bay paint is tired
missing rear boot panels
boot painted in matt black
windscreen frame painted balck
various additional switches

All in all.. it looks a good straight car.. and if we are being honest.. you are not going to get a scruffy 6K car to that level cheaper than buying this one as it stand.. it would make a nice rolling resto.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
alpine

i think if you look closer you will find that you are seeing the top fabric and not the top boot cover. for three hundred dollars you could buy new interior door handles, window crank handles, horn ring and trunk panels. as far as the engine compartment, a bottle of rubbing compound and wax is cheap. 500.00 would give you a very presentable car. it would be impossible to restore an alpine to this presentable condition for the 12K asking price. the whole key to this car is NO RUST! that's hard to find in this country. i think anyone looking at this car should overlook the few items that may not be correct and base their decision on the good factors. after all, SS is located in california. this would be a nice car to start with if the mechanicals are sound.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob... in summary you agree with what i said above... you cant build one that nice for the asking price.

The other point i was trying to make is so often i see solid alpines sell for what guys here and the UK would consider cheap.... and yet there seems to be a perception stateside that they are to expensive and i see people go for a "cheaper" car that will end up costing them so much more long term.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
alpine

michael,
many here in the states do not have the big dollars to pump into a car. look at the mortgage payments , car payments,taxes,cost of living, kids, student loans and the number of unemployed. there are a number of folks that do want a british car to play with and have the capabilities to put a limited amount into a car without being upside down. i follow the selling prices of cars of the 60's since i have had many different labels of cars. for many reasons you will find the alpines to be the lowest priced car of that range. for years i would buy cars on a 90 day note from the bank, do some work to it and sell it before the 90 days. there isn't a bank around here that even offers a 90 day now. the banks in this area won't finance a car with over 85 k on it regardless of the age or your credit score. that means that the average person in the midwest has many limitations when it comes to buying a hobby car. pay cash, be able to get a personal loan or use a line of credit. the alpines seem to fall into the catagory that is affordable for these folks. i saw several alpines ,MG's, TR's etc at mid ohio this past weekend that were recent purchases but need work i talked to an owner that was happy to be able to finally buy a hobby car. he said he would take it from there and do what he can to the car to upgrade it but at a slow pace. this car will be a great starter for the person that can buy it.