aluminum radiator

mgmike69

Bronze forum user
There are at least 4 or 5 companies that I have found that offer an aluminum radiator for the Tiger.Some are single row some are double row some are cross flow some are down flow.I'm hoping that enough of you guys have gone down this road that I can get some good advice on selecting the right one.
Thanks
Mike Gygi:cool:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have had Dale fluidyne in my car since 2003.. Never overheats and has been a good product.

I belive the car had a griffin before where the tanks separated from the core and was not repairable. That said lots of people still use the guffin one.

Warren

Gold forum user
Looks

The Griffin looks most like a stock radiator. I have had both a Davis and a Fluidyne in the same car.
I think the Fluidyne works a little better.
It's bigger holds more and is a little bit more of a awkward fit to the stock fan shroud.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
After about 25 years, the Custom 2 pass Ron Davis radiator in Tom's Vintage Racer has failed.

Considering it's challenging life, it actually has done well!

The Vintage Racers Don't use Antifreeze, so cooling system corrosion is a battle.

I wonder how a NEW Davis Rad will hold up?

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The best performing radiador I've found was Air Mobile's (Glendale? AZ) two row dual pass.
It's still going great after twenty years.
At SUNI water temps never got off the 185 thermostat. (using stock pulleys)
No expansion tank.
Radiator cap and Denso alternator on driver's side. Both hoses into radiator on passenger side.
It doesn't look stock nor, thankfully,
does it perform like stock.

Warren

Gold forum user
Couple things not addressed. Corrosion issues and the use of any type of sacrificial anode. Sure do realize this is not the stock section but really don't like the look of the lack of finish thru the grill mouth.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Couple things not addressed. Corrosion issues and the use of any type of sacrificial anode. Sure do realize this is not the stock section but really don't like the look of the lack of finish thru the grill mouth.
You can give it a light dust of black paint.. There are some special finishes you can have applied that dont impact the cooling in any significant way and will be a nice black

Last edited:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tom has an SVRA "Gold Medallion" Log book and one of the comments in it is the Radiator Looks too new.

So I will be painting the tanks of the new rad, at least.

A New Ron Davis Rad is Over $900, and that is the "Stock" version. I assume a 2 pass will be more.

So I'm still looking.

DW

Hoghead

Gold forum user
You can give it a light dust of black paint.. There are some special finishes you can have applied that dont impact the cooling in any significant way and will be a nice black
I am using C187 CeraKote, air dry, ceramic heat shedding coating on my Subaru powered Beetle project right now. Intercooler, radiator, oil cooler, intake manifold, and fuel tank.......Unfortunately it is grey, and black is not available from this supplier.
https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating/C-187/transfer-grey-air-cure

They also sell the ceramic heat retention coating that one would use on headers

The local guy here in Thailand did not have the C187 coating, so I bought directly from CeraKote in the US and he is to apply

Looks easy with a .8mm gun tip, but for the prep using aluminium oxide blasting. I am a bit leery of blasting the rad fins, but the ceramic coating guy in Vancouver I deal with does it all the time. I think that I will just do the rad tanks on FrankenBeetle to be safe

Last edited:

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Eastwood sells a "radiator black" spray paint which is supposed to be thin enough to not restrict cooling. I used it on my Olds and it looked great but I never really put its properties to the test.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Better late than never...

I ended up getting a Custom 2 pass Rad from CGJ in Gladsden, AL

Contact Phillip Lankford at plankford@cgj.com

$576 delivered.

IMG_20220614_120513978.jpg

This Rad is made to drawing # 31336

Note: the mounting brackets NEED to be trimmed and holes drilled.

AND mods are needed to the stock charging system for top hose clearance.

DW

Last edited:

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got a current price quoted this week for the CGJ custom aluminum dual pass SPMDR showed above (which seems to be a copy of the Air Mobile we've been running in Claudia's Tiger with great success for almost 25 years). CGJ is now charging $642.41 before shipping.
added note: shipping to SoCal about $55.

Last edited:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The price change may have something to do with how long ago I ordered the last one,

AND/or how long it takes to get one.

Clearly, In spite of what the news may be saying, inflation is alive and well.

The good news is, the last one I received has a better Billet fill/Rad cap neck.

YMMV

DW