Anyone have suggestion for replacement material inside valve cover oil breather cap?

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My original Tiger VC oil breater cap was desentegrating (stuff inside) so I took it apart by carefully prying the bottom lip which was not that difficult. I was thinking a metal dish scrubber might work but original material definately was not metal. Looking for suggestions.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
plastic dish scrubber(s)?? the material inside the valve cover at the PCV port is coarse woven metal... similar to the coarse copper scrubbers... you could use that too.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I used a course like fiber material that I sourced- It was not metal- the old material was as hard charcoal-

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure if it's the same stuff I'm thinking of but I have replaced that kind of foam in a breather with KN air filter material. They have PRE filters that looked similar. It's also available on McMaster-Carr but you have to know what type to get, I recall Mildew Resistant filter foam, texture was like a scotch bright pad. Also picked up something similar for an air filter was on Amazon as fish tank filter foam, this is what I purchased Aquarium Filter Foam - https://amzn.to/44DnsaW they have different PPI ratings which amount to Fine, Med, Coarse.

[EDIT] If you are in the area (Los Angeles) happy to cut a small piece of for you if you want it.

Sandy

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
good suggestions. mine is entirely disintegrated so I will pry it open and replace it with a metal mesh. I have a NOS one that still has the original material peeking out.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a new NOS breather in the box-- I just separated the halfs there are 2 fiber coils which are coming apart -going to use scotch pads

IMG_5990.JPG

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do you think the scotch pads can handle the oil, fumes and temps over time? I like idea of something soft like a scotch pad just in case small piece somehow finds its way down into engine somehow. But also worry that over time the fumes might break down a scotch like pad. BTW, great picture, thank you. When I took mine apart it was a bunch of small loose fibers but can recognize it is same material as yours.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Stainless steel pads (soft) with a screen over the aperture keeps all working safely. just sayin'

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Do you think the scotch pads can handle the oil, fumes and temps over time? I like idea of something soft like a scotch pad just in case small piece somehow finds its way down into engine somehow. But also worry that over time the fumes might break down a scotch like pad. BTW, great picture, thank you. When I took mine apart it was a bunch of small loose fibers but can recognize it is same material as yours.
I suggest you put a stinky old sock in it ( or as mentioned earlier coarse stainless steel wool ) Let us know what you choose as being the least worrisome.