Beatles special

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Did anyone see the 50th anniversary special tonight? A lot of great musicians doing Beatle tunes then Paul and Ringo finished it off-----great to see and hear.

il8t1i.jpg

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Better change the name of the group...

...to 'The Tigers', or your post is gonna get moved;)

I thought it was a lovely tribute. Just goes to show how great the Beatles were- all those fabulous musicians doing tributes- and none of the songs sounded as good as the original Beatles tunes.

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Beatles

...to 'The Tigers', or your post is gonna get moved;)

I thought it was a lovely tribute. Just goes to show how great the Beatles were- all those fabulous musicians doing tributes- and none of the songs sounded as good as the original Beatles tunes.

In general I agree - but Joe Walsh did a pretty good rendition on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Can't believe it is 50 years - when they were on Sullivan I was finishing up the rebuild of my flathead in my 40 Coupe - the beginning of my long sickness...

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
none of the songs sounded as good as the original Beatles tunes.

I agree. I only watched the middle 45 minutes and turned it off for that reason. There was a PBS version of "Produced by George Martin" a couple nights back that was very interesting. A Beatles cover group called Rain also did a PBS special some time ago and did a fantastic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps. It's not the version that's easily available to download though.

Just to maybe help with the subject a little bit.

William Blake. 1757–1827

The Tiger

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Rain has played in South Lake Tahoe and they are fantastic. I was just a young lad when the Fab 4 arrived but my sister was one of those crazy girls that LOVED the Beatles so I learned to love them too since that's all I heard around the house. When she got older she gave me all her records--glad I saved them. I just thought it was a nice tribute to them since they changed the sound of music from there on out.
On a side note I saw some footage of their ride from the airport when they arrived here and they drove past a Sunbeam dealer......:)

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I just thought it was a nice tribute to them since they changed the sound of music from there on out.

Well, the show was OK, just something more interesting to do at the time. As far as them changing music I feel they began to change everything.

Back then it seems the girls were more into it than the boys. A handful of guys wanted to be on stage and the girls enjoyed being a sea of an audience. My 12 year old niece traveled from CA to NY to see them at Shea Stadium in 65.

In the late 70's early 80's I thought it would be a great idea to have greeting cards that would play an appropriate Beatles sound byte but there were no playback devices then that were small enough. Also Michael Jackson owned the rights to most of their songs. I wonder if Hallmark would have gone for the idea back then?

For a greeting card I had thought there would be a song byte for just about almost every topic but the only song I can think of that is near being appropriate here is the The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill.

Hey, Bungalow Bill
What did you kill
Bungalow Bill?

Deep in the jungle where the mighty tiger lies
Bill and his elephants were taken by surprise
So Captain Marvel zapped him right between the eyes

All the children sing ....

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
The Night That Changed America The Beatles

I was happy to see Kidz' review because I had it on the DVR.

Entertainment value is great. Good musicians both well known and lesser known performing many of their hits and songs less often heard.

Along with the music is historical context and the story of how they came together, chose the name and much more including the appearance on the Sullivan show.

If you missed it tough luck. Look for it to rerun and record it!

Rick