Carnival red

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I went to my local PPG jobber yesterday to get a sample of Carnival red for a spray out. The current code from the PPG Color Library was 71144. I am quite pleased with the color.

The formula I got was for single stage (DCC or Concept). For 1 Qt mixed the formula is.

parts / cumulative
DMC 900 strong white 88.2 parts / 88.2
DMC 987 orange lf 569.9 / 658.1
DMC 917 red 438 /1096.1
DMC 931 violet 32.8 / 1128.9

Of course, this is little help for the California crowd for who the mere mention of paint, causes cancer.....

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I went to my local PPG jobber yesterday to get a sample of Carnival red for a spray out. The current code from the PPG Color Library was 71144. I am quite pleased with the color.

The formula I got was for single stage (DCC or Concept). For 1 Qt mixed the formula is.

parts / cumulative
DMC 900 strong white 88.2 parts / 88.2
DMC 987 orange lf 569.9 / 658.1
DMC 917 red 438 /1096.1
DMC 931 violet 32.8 / 1128.9

Of course, this is little help for the California crowd for who the mere mention of paint, causes cancer.....
This is PPG Concept used for the restoration of this car about 10 years ago. You wonder how much tints have changed over the years.
100_0491.JPG

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I used ppg concept 71243. The Ppg store here in Florida had no record of Ditzler 71144, although Ditzler was bought by Ppg.
However, 71243 matched the color of the car when I got it, so I am happy. However, Concept is expensive, (about $1200/gal in FL), but great paint.

8126644F-92D3-4472-B3EB-6F0F8C2B4CE8.jpeg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I used ppg concept 71243. The Ppg store here in Florida had no record of Ditzler 71144, although Ditzler was bought by Ppg.
However, 71243 matched the color of the car when I got it, so I am happy. However, Concept is expensive, (about $1200/gal in FL), but great paint.

View attachment 16973
71144 was the original code, and yes it is no longer in the system. I called the PPG color library and talked with a very nice woman who, in the past used to be active in one of the Sunbeam clubs... anyway, she had new mixing formulae for all of the Sunbeam codes. What are the chances of that!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Martin Senour Porshe guards red color from about 15 years ago
100_0294.JPG
. It's really close to the original carnival red in hidden areas of the body since the car was color code #39.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I use Guards Red for the offset to Colorado Red on the Big Healey. The Rootes color is more orange and has the characteristic "muddy" quality that the Porsche color does not have... which is why I went to the PPG color library instead of Martin Senour (Napa) which is manufactured by Sherwin Williams.... It's a matter of quality of product... Whatever you call it, Martin Senour or Sherwin Williams... it's a CRAP product. Which is why it's half the price of Glasurit, or PPG..

I've used PPG for 40 years... Never had any issues with color fading or durability. You get waht you pay for

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Rootes color is more orange and has the characteristic "muddy" quality that the Porsche color does not have...
My Alpine is a #39 and was painted with ICI Dulux Porsche guards red. It does have the orange colour tinge which in bright sunlight comes out a very orange red and in darker lights a deeper red...

But yes... Does lack the "muddy/murky" tone to many Rootes paints... Particularly with the #39, #58 midnight blue and 86 Forrest green which can look a deep solid base colour in mid to dark light...but muddy in bright light

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I use Guards Red for the offset to Colorado Red on the Big Healey. The Rootes color is more orange and has the characteristic "muddy" quality that the Porsche color does not have... which is why I went to the PPG color library instead of Martin Senour (Napa) which is manufactured by Sherwin Williams.... It's a matter of quality of product... Whatever you call it, Martin Senour or Sherwin Williams... it's a CRAP product. Which is why it's half the price of Glasurit, or PPG..

I've used PPG for 40 years... Never had any issues with color fading or durability. You get waht you pay for
And like any other product today, you'll find that there are specs that all products have to meet. You'll also find that there are plants that turn out product for several different companies using the brand's formulations but meet current specs. You'll also find a tracer that differentiate brand. That's how the companies can determine that it's their brand and can keep your cost of product lower by outsourcing. There are also companies that advertise a lot which runs up the cost of product. Take away that huge cost and there is a difference. What you pay for means nothing in today's market unless you're willing to pay more for a brand coming out of the same plant as others and meeting the same specs as another company's product.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is a difference between meeting spec and exceeding... Some people are perfectly fine with using the bare minimum to pass.

Also while some manufacturers rebrand outsourced stuff some don't.... And price variation can be down to spend on promotional activity and branding... Some aren't.

Some people overpay for sub standard products...some pay a fair price for decent products and some pay over the odds.

Given the quality of work some people perform and the fact they have to warrant their work... Not all opinions come from the same level of research and experience...some people just sell snake oil.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As far as PPG Concept, my Lotus Europa was painted with PPG Concept 6 years ago and it looks as good as new.

I drive it a lot and I am sold. It's easy to fix stone chips since it is single stage paint. Just rough up the chip, fill the chip with paint, sand off with 2000 sand paper and polish.

An btw, after spending a year on the bodywork of my Tiger, there is no way I would scrimp on the paint.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
My Alpine is a #39 and was painted with ICI Dulux Porsche guards red. It does have the orange colour tinge which in bright sunlight comes out a very orange red and in darker lights a deeper red...

But yes... Does lack the "muddy/murky" tone to many Rootes paints... Particularly with the #39, #58 midnight blue and 86 Forrest green which can look a deep solid base colour in mid to dark light...but muddy in bright light
The "muddy" quality is definitely an acquired taste! When I had the Mediterranean Blue paint mixed for the PP car I restored, I made sure it was muddy, like the original bits still on the car... I wan't sure if i really liked it at all. over time it grew on me. Polar White is the same way. I recently had some mixed for my personal MK2. Not terribly sure I like it either!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Blue car --- PPG Deltron -- painted 1995-- no clear coat
green car ---- PPG Concept -- painted 2012 -- no clear coat
White car --- NAPA --- painted 2009-- no clear coat
White car --- NAPA --- painted 2016 -- no clear coat
I've already made a statement concerning red car.
The paint has held up really good. Probably due to the care the cars get. And YES, the hoods are not latched on a couple of the cars. At this point I have no clue as to the paint brand for the old race car that spent a lot of years in the D.C. / Maryland area. Yet to be determined.
100_0547.JPG
107_1001.JPG
100_0192.JPG
110_0724.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This body was restored by a shop in the northeast. This photo was taken when the car arrived back in Ohio. It's carnival red and I believe it was painted using a PPG product.
109_0242.JPG