CAT Tiger Valve Covers

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what I have here. Original, repop or something else. No mfg markings, appreciate any history lessons too. E0F692B6-1156-42BE-8875-0FF71A7D9051.jpegBC982BE9-45D9-410B-8E84-259C7704998C.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Firstly not CAT valve covers...
L.A.T = Los Angeles Tiger

The originals were Buddy Bar castings and have that on the insides... Various companies have done repros over the years

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Shelby Enterprises decided to sell on all the molds for the Tiger and Cobra valve covers and oil pans after a few years...Murray Cliff from Vancouver B.C. bought them and produced quite a few and even sent batches down to a fellow in California IIRC . I was at his place ( MRC motors ) in the mid '70's and he had a bunch of the Tiger valve covers and a few oil pans at the time . I think the valve covers were C$60/pair . I have a set of them and they have MRC Motors on the inside of the casting. Murray eventually made a deal to sell them to Rick at S,S. and they are again being made at Buddy Bar which was the same guys that made the Shelby ones apparently

MRC valve cover.jpg

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Jim is correct, and I too remember a big pile at Murrays Moms house in the early 70's - should have bought an oil pan but we all scorned it as being too low...................
I also bought my original Ballenger LAT headers from Murray

I have MRC valve covers on both my cars, and easy to tell as "original" due to the wide flange.
Which begs the question as to what is original? Is the SS ones anymore or less original than the MRC ones, as all come from the same Shelby Enterprises mould

BTW, Nyes Foundry in Vancouver did the casting work, and changed the Buddy Bar Dymo tape label to the MRC one Jim shows - Rick/Buddy Bar would have changed it back

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim is correct, and I too remember a big pile at Murrays Moms house in the early 70's - should have bought an oil pan but we all scorned it as being too low...................
I also bought my original Ballenger LAT headers from Murray

I have MRC valve covers on both my cars, and easy to tell as "original" due to the wide flange.
Which begs the question as to what is original? Is the SS ones anymore or less original than the MRC ones, as all come from the same Shelby Enterprises mould

BTW, Nyes Foundry in Vancouver did the casting work, and changed the Buddy Bar Dymo tape label to the MRC one Jim shows - Rick/Buddy Bar would have changed it back
When I bought my car in 1984 it came with the MRC Tiger valve covers.