component colour chart

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, the Tiger guides are always available online, but I forgot to bring the hard copy to SUNI. With Pat King, Tiger Tom and Mike Michaels judging the stock class not sure it was needed.

As for the Alpine guide, it was just completed and I had not yet gotten a hard copy printed out. I will be getting that done and all will be available in time for the United.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
"...I will paint the rear axle black overall with Glyptal pre-flaked off" ?? It's the black that comes off lol! I would never leave a rear end center section in Glyptol' unless you want the car to appear old and unrestored :rolleyes:
Not sure what colours you're painting your cars but don't forget about the brush painted black inner grill area including the hinges... also where the soft top hinges reside

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The platforms for the seat tracks were also brush painted. Not sure if it was black for all cars, but on my polar white Mk2 they were.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
This car is code 01 - black. Did they still brush flat black on a black car?
I thought not?

Brake drum colour?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
brake drums were black. On black cars they would have just left it alone. the whole point of bruss painting certain things was so they wouldn't stand out.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"...I will paint the rear axle black overall with Glyptal pre-flaked off" ?? It's the black that comes off lol! I would never leave a rear end center section in Glyptol' unless you want the car to appear old and unrestored :rolleyes:
Not sure what colours you're painting your cars but don't forget about the brush painted black inner grill area including the hinges... also where the soft top hinges reside
Also they used a stencil and brushed black in the A pillar gutters where the leading edge of the door closes over and the blade seal is to darken the panel gap

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Jensen did a lot of this on the Healey as they painted them... curious is Pressed Steel did these as they painted the cars, or if Jensen did it.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jensen did a lot of this on the Healey as they painted them... curious is Pressed Steel did these as they painted the cars, or if Jensen did it.
Def pressed steel did it for the grill and a posts as it was on all the Alpines. Actually on kate Alpines at least siv there is some stencil black around the underside of the rear valence where the rubber drain plugs are.
Assume that jensen either did the blacking per same stencils or they were done already..
Come to think.. They cut the rad support on later tigers then painted over.. So assume black was there already

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
For radiator support, are you referring to the tube for the starter handle?? If so.. Jensen didn't remove these. They were delivered to Jensen from Pressed Steel deleted from the assembly. (MK1a on) Kind of like the box for the battery and the spare tire support. These were never fit to a Tiger body shell. Pressed steel built the Tiger and Alpine shells on a different line. That way there was less waste, and the cars could be delivered to Jensen and less was required there as well. Pressed steel delivered the cars without the "top hats" installed and no trans bulkhead and tunnel as well. That way Jensen could just lay out a template and make the gas cuts in the firewall and floor in prep for the new parts. Again, less waste.

The Mk2 Tiger shell definitively shows that there was a separate line for body builds as the rear shelf pressing for a Mk2 Tiger is from the Hillman Husky, and the Alpine rear shelf pressing continued on as before with the battery box. It would have been way too much work for Jensen to have made that modification.

A good general guide about who did what is in the type of welding. If it was brazed (MK1 radiator mounting bungs) or mig welded (everything else), it was Jensen. If it was spot welded, it was Pressed Steel on the initial body assembly line..

The primary reason for the deletion of specific parts on shells that were destined to be Tigers was that these cars were painted before they went to Jensen. Pressed Steel and Rootes wanted a minimum amount of paint rectification as possible.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For radiator support, are you referring to the tube for the starter handle?? If so.. Jensen didn't remove these. They were delivered to Jensen from Pressed Steel deleted from the assembly. (MK1a on) Kind of like the box for the battery and the spare tire support. These were never fit to a Tiger body shell. Pressed steel built the Tiger and Alpine shells on a different line. That way there was less waste, and the cars could be delivered to Jensen and less was required there as well. Pressed steel delivered the cars without the "top hats" installed and no trans bulkhead and tunnel as well. That way Jensen could just lay out a template and make the gas cuts in the firewall and floor in prep for the new parts. Again, less waste.

The Mk2 Tiger shell definitively shows that there was a separate line for body builds as the rear shelf pressing for a Mk2 Tiger is from the Hillman Husky, and the Alpine rear shelf pressing continued on as before with the battery box. It would have been way too much work for Jensen to have made that modification.

A good general guide about who did what is in the type of welding. If it was brazed (MK1 radiator mounting bungs) or mig welded (everything else), it was Jensen. If it was spot welded, it was Pressed Steel on the initial body assembly line..

The primary reason for the deletion of specific parts on shells that were destined to be Tigers was that these cars were painted before they went to Jensen. Pressed Steel and Rootes wanted a minimum amount of paint rectification as possible.
My wife probably owns the only Alpine that started life as a Tiger.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
No not the starter handle box section part.
The vertical stay from Mk1A on? (From the bottom of the grille opening to the middle lower edge of the valance) This was added by Pressed Steel (spot welded). Otherwise I'm lost. Had three Tigers personally and restored lots more... the Mk1 radiator support has bungs added for the Tiger radiator. The Mk1A and Mk2 were supplied w/o the starter handle tube so that an oil cooler could be fitted (only Mk2). These cars had a vertical stay added as w/o the starter tube assy, the valance was unsupported. Only other mods in the front was the deletion of the Sunbeam letters and the rivnuts for the fan shroud. On the Mk2 there's a hole in the hinge support panel for the hose clamp for the long oil cooler hose (LH side).

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
100_0701.JPG
100_0508.JPG
100_0510.JPG
107_0376.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
One and 2 and 3 are obviously an Alpine shell, and I dare say that four is as well.. The 4th pic shows a Mk1 transmission bulkhead and tunnel installed in an ALPINE shell... (no drains for the foot well vents). The tip off.... lower mount for the fan motor assy.... These are flame cut to clear the throttle pedal assy on a Tiger. ALL OF THEM.....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe you're missing the point since Alpines and Tiger bodies were built on the same assembly line. Check out the TAC certificate for #4.

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Pressed steel had to have had a separate line for the Tiger as it would have caused massive disruption and confusion to build cars bodies of different specifications on the same line.

Tiger bodies were built missing parts that would have been on Alpines. This would have entailed the production of subassemblies of differing design. For instance, rear body sections for the MK1/MK1a didn't have the spare tire mount installed or the battery box either. Jensen didn't remove them, they didn't have to. Pressed steel also installed the additional exhaust brackets. Up front the top hats were not installed, nor was the Alpine tunnel or bulkhead.

Additional deleted parts for the Mk1A included the starter handle tube and a revised support from the back of the grille opening to the back edge of the valance.

This reason for this is twofold. It eliminated waste, and it eliminated a lot of costly remedial paint work. If Jensen would have had to remove all of the redundant Alpine sheetmetal it would required a LOT of paintwork, removing the old Alpine top hats would have required repainting the inner wheelarches completely.

The MK2 Tiger offers even more definitive proof of a separate assembly line in that the rear shelf was completely different from the Alpine as this pressing was now from the Hillman Husky. No battery box hole. If Jensen had been expected to make this modification they would have probably had to repaint the entire rear of the car.

These cars were delivered to Jensen fully painted and partially trimmed (interiors). Rootes was on a tight budget and wanted there to be as little damage to these shells as possible during the process of finishing them to full Tiger bodies.

A good rule of thumb for knowing who did what to these shells, is to look at the welds. If it's spot welded it's Pressed Steel, if it's brazed or mig welded (or flame cut), it's Jensen.