Convertible top

Cal44

Gold forum user
I have an older Robbins top that was still in the box. The instructions have long since vanished. Is there any place on line that shows an install?

Since the new top is old but in better condition than the old one (rotted into bits) I thought I would give it shot.

Mike

Cal44

Gold forum user
Finished the install of the convertible top today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I am lucky as the cars parts have no rust and the screws came out quickly and with a little goose grease:p go right back in.

Biggest helper? a thin shaft leather awl for lining up the bits and pushing through the vinyl. I do wish the material would have been thicker. The pinpoint is paper thin. The old material was thicker.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The trick is to not get the creasing around the rear curves where it goes from the rear scuttle to the side.

Did you start at the back of the car or off the header rail?

steven

Gold forum user
With my install it was advised to attach at the rear scuttle but do not do so untill you have layed it out and have it centered with sufficient over the front bow. use tape to hold it on the front rail and then attach it at the rear, do not tighten. Still checking it is central, I used contact glue to attach the front and then attached the c mounting for the rubber. when this is done, lock the front to the windscreen. returning to the rear scuttle undo the screws and pull the top down tight (naturally all the bows are up etc). Reattach the screws and rear scuttle piece etc. Any extra top hanging below the attachment can be removed. (i left it). Last is to mark and mount the 2 lift dots at the rear, one for each side. The softtop rear must NOT be attached under the side scuttle pieces.:)

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Who has gone to a modern material for there tops instead of vinyl. I know packing the old heavy vinyl top was not something you would want to do in a big hurry. The more modern material, i would think would take less room and easier to stow. Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers MAL

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Who has gone to a modern material for there tops instead of vinyl. I know packing the old heavy vinyl top was not something you would want to do in a big hurry. The more modern material, i would think would take less room and easier to stow. Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers MAL

Mal if you mean the mohair fabric tops like BMW Merc etc.. they are thicker and harder to fold down. My dad had one made for his Alpine back in 1994 before they were available from suppliers. The mohair ones are now available from robbins and Uk suppliers do them in mohair and double duck (older type canvas which looks nice but fades).

For what its worth I think they look much nicers, insulate a little better.. and ... who cares how long they take to fold down.. you just need them to be able to go UP fast!

steven

Gold forum user
Robins may be very good however they are pricing themselves out of the market. Here in Aus a local agent quoted me $1,200 for a top. Bought one from a US supplier in the colour I wanted for $300.

Cal44

Gold forum user
I needed to replace the webbing, so I started there. Centered the best my eye could do and attached at the rear. Then too the big bow that attaches too the wind sceen. Then the sides. The top has gathers in the stitching that I wish weren't there but since it was free and no tears I will live with it until I can't.

Mike

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Mal if you mean the mohair fabric tops like BMW Merc etc.. they are thicker and harder to fold down. My dad had one made for his Alpine back in 1994 before they were available from suppliers. The mohair ones are now available from robbins and Uk suppliers do them in mohair and double duck (older type canvas which looks nice but fades).

For what its worth I think they look much nicers, insulate a little better.. and ... who cares how long they take to fold down.. you just need them to be able to go UP fast!

Thanks Michael, I thought they might be a lighter weight fabric and easier to stow. My vinyl top only just fits. Still they do look nice and you are right about the going up fast :).

Cal44

Gold forum user
Now I know why a heavy material was used in the original soft tops.

The thin tops flap around like knickers on a drying line.......

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Now I know why a heavy material was used in the original soft tops.
The thin tops flap around like knickers on a drying line.......

While the thin tops would be more likely to "flap" if you have the proper tension on them from the pirelli webbing straps that run between the header and the bows, the tension rods to the header rail (and the tension cables on the MKI's) and a good tight fit around the rear they should be quite taught. When you put the iwindows down they can flap a little because of the pressure difference, but if installed carefully they are pretty good.