Door Card Installation

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I did a search, but I could not find any instructions on how to properly install the door cards. I got the panels, clips and little cups from Sunbeam Specialties. I also obtained and wrapped the upper padded area.

This is on a '66 Mk1a.

It looks like the upper padded piece slides over the top edge of the door, and then held on with 3-4 screws. There are 12 little plastic cups, 6 per door I assume. The plastic cups do not fit into any of the holes. Where do they go? Are the spring clips supposed to go into the plastic cups?

Is there supposed to be a vapor barrier between the door card and the steel of the door? If so, what kind of material and how is it held on?

If you have a description of the installation procedure, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
EA110D80-F1DD-4066-AAC3-415D5E026234.jpeg
02FBB59E-7685-4879-8E9E-5604DAC2BCF3.jpeg
here are a couple of photos from my mk1 showing where the plastic inserts are located. There are 2 that are on the bottom that are not installed. The metal clips are installed into the card first then there are 6 holes in the door and 6 plastic inserts that are pushed into the door Then all the clips are pushed into the holes or plastic inserts

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I did a search, but I could not find any instructions on how to properly install the door cards. I got the panels, clips and little cups from Sunbeam Specialties. I also obtained and wrapped the upper padded area.

This is on a '66 Mk1a.

It looks like the upper padded piece slides over the top edge of the door, and then held on with 3-4 screws. There are 12 little plastic cups, 6 per door I assume. The plastic cups do not fit into any of the holes. Where do they go? Are the spring clips supposed to go into the plastic cups?

Is there supposed to be a vapor barrier between the door card and the steel of the door? If so, what kind of material and how is it held on?

If you have a description of the installation procedure, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.
There is a very thin black fabric vapor barrier which is held in place by metal clips and contact adhesive The clips are on the bottom edge of the opening and the adhesive on the top edge

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The pics supplied by Tony are for a mk1, Mk1a's are different in that there are welded brackets on the door shell that accept the clips for the panel/card. three are along the bottom of the door and a larger one at the forward top corner. the panel attaches with clips along the top, 3 of which go through the padded door top rail. there will be three clips along the bottom that fit into the welded brackets and at the rear, there is a chrome bit that it retained by the screws for the dovetail (door catch) that holds the panel to the door along that edge.

I've never had to use the plastic bungs for door clips on a MK1a or MK2

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The pics supplied by Tony are for a mk1, Mk1a's are different in that there are welded brackets on the door shell that accept the clips for the panel/card. three are along the bottom of the door and a larger one at the forward top corner. the panel attaches with clips along the top, 3 of which go through the padded door top rail. there will be three clips along the bottom that fit into the welded brackets and at the rear, there is a chrome bit that it retained by the screws for the dovetail (door catch) that holds the panel to the door along that edge.

You posted the photo on Monday showing the MK 1a brackets.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user

View attachment 16725View attachment 16726here are a couple of photos from my mk1 showing where the plastic inserts are located. There are 2 that are on the bottom that are not installed. The metal clips are installed into the card first then there are 6 holes in the door and 6 plastic inserts that are pushed into the door Then all the clips are pushed into the holes or plastic inserts
Thanks for providing the pictures.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user

Yes, my car is a MK1a, with the raised metal clips. I got the feeling that the plastic bungs (cups) were not needed, because they don't fit in those holes, or any other holes for that matter.

Thanks for clarifying how the door card is attached. A friend of mine is selling me a pair of those chrome brackets which were missing on my car.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
There is a very thin black fabric vapor barrier which is held in place by metal clips and contact adhesive The clips are on the bottom edge of the opening and the adhesive on the top edge
Is there a source for the black fabric? Is it more like a plastic sheet or woven material?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This is what I'm pretty sure was an original survivor door I acquired for my car. It is a fabric material, not a paper. I'm pretty sure I saved it but will have to hunt it down.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
it's completely possible that the early cars were different from later cars... On Healeys, Jensen usually used scrap vinyl from the upholstery shop to make door shields for the 3000 MK3. On the MK1a and Mk2 Tigers I have restored, it's usually a brown paper material that is black on one side. (oil impregnated) I have also observed a clean plastic material that is bound up in the lower channel that the glass is mounted in

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
it's completely possible that the early cars were different from later cars... On Healeys, Jensen usually used scrap vinyl from the upholstery shop to make door shields for the 3000 MK3. On the MK1a and Mk2 Tigers I have restored, it's usually a brown paper material that is black on one side. (oil impregnated) I have also observed a clean plastic material that is bound up in the lower channel that the glass is mounted in
There are 2 unrestored unpainted cars i know that were laid up for a long time.. 1 a cross body mki ( square corner car) one a early round corner car...and the round corner car owner also has a low milage survivor round corner SIVGT alpine...ill ask what they have...

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My passenger door window came out of the channel a while back. Taking the door apart, I found the oil impregnated paper (I call it tar paper) had come loose and wadded itself up enough to dislodge the window from the channel. Looked original to me- MK1A B382000503. Kirk

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
My passenger door window came out of the channel a while back. Taking the door apart, I found the oil impregnated paper (I call it tar paper) had come loose and wadded itself up enough to dislodge the window from the channel. Looked original to me- MK1A B382000503. Kirk
Coming to think about your comment. On my mk1 passenger door there was a piece of tar paper that had come loose and wadded itself under the regulator. I assume it was adhered to the inner door skin But there was also the very thin fabric that covered the large access hole of the door like pictured above

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
these are pics of the thin fabric that is on the inside of the doors that cover the large access hole You can see the clips and adhesive on the upper one which came from the passenger side the bottom one came from the drivers side and was used as fodder for a hunger mouse. The passenger one shows the inside facing side and the drivers side shows the shiny side and is visible with the door card removed. As mentioned there was a tar paper that was adhered to the door skin passenger side. This was probably used as a noise barrier Pics are from my totally original mk1

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
View attachment 16776View attachment 16777View attachment 16778these are pics of the thin fabric that is on the inside of the doors that cover the large access hole You can see the clips and adhesive on the upper one which came from the passenger side the bottom one came from the drivers side and was used as fodder for a hunger mouse. The passenger one shows the inside facing side and the drivers side shows the shiny side and is visible with the door card removed. As mentioned there was a tar paper that was adhered to the door skin passenger side. This was probably used as a noise barrier Pics are from my totally original mk1
These pieces as well as the tar paper material on the floor may have reduced noise in the cars when new but the sound deadening material became a haven for mice and water so the bodies could rust away. When the wife bought her blue car in California and we started taking it apart before going to Tiger Auto for restoration we found the tar paper inside the door was in a neat little pile in the bottom of the doors.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Yup
These pieces as well as the tar paper material on the floor may have reduced noise in the cars when new but the sound deadening material became a haven for mice and water so the bodies could rust away. When the wife bought her blue car in California and we started taking it apart before going to Tiger Auto for restoration we found the tar paper inside the door was in a neat little pile in the bottom of the doors.
them critters do that The mice did not get into the passenger door but did get into the driver’s door Luckily they left all the wiring alone in the car !

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
So what would the recommended covering for that area be, for a restoration, if any? Would sheet plastic just trap moisture and encourage rust? Or something breathable, focusing on sound reduction? David

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
So what would the recommended covering for that area be, for a restoration, if any? Would sheet plastic just trap moisture and encourage rust? Or something breathable, focusing on sound reduction? David
I think that plastic door cards are available which would not warp if they got wet or damp. As long as you can keep moisture off the hardboard type you should be fine. But I may be thinking of the trunk panels having the plastic option ? I have not decided what I will do about a replacement if any