Door Limiter Removal

mechachy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
There was a post several years ago under this same title but with no responses.

Trying to figure out how to remove the door travel limiter. Actually, I don't need to remove it, I just need to remove one of the ends so the door will swing open and I can paint the jambs. If any of our cars used a nut and bolt, mine doesn't have that as it's more like a rivet on the door jamb side and a pin inside the door that doesn't seem like it can be driven out.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
that's because your car is original! the original fastener was a 3/16 tube rivet. the only way to remove it is to take a grinder and remove either the bottom or the top of the rivet and then drive it out. I usually use a clevis pin and cotter when I refit them.

mechachy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Let's see. Drove from LA to Las Vegas and took the only set of keys for my wife's car with me. Received love note from the IRS. Must grind off the rivets at what looks like the usual impossible tight quarters.

Think I'll wait until next week where maybe my luck will have changed.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've used my small cordless drill and drill from the bottom. Then pop the rivet out. Sunbeam Specialties has sold a repair kit for years.

volvoguys

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Let's see. Drove from LA to Las Vegas and took the only set of keys for my wife's car with me. Received love note from the IRS. Must grind off the rivets at what looks like the usual impossible tight quarters.

Think I'll wait until next week where maybe my luck will have changed.
Of the three, I'd opt for dealing with removing the rivets. Seems this problem will have far greater expectation for success with less fallout.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I never knew rivets were the original way they were fastened but it does explain the tight quarters there. Not that it concerns me but will replacing them with pins or bolts mean a loss of concours points?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Of the three, I'd opt for dealing with removing the rivets. Seems this problem will have far greater expectation for success with less fallout.
I have various sizes of 90 degree drill motors so the way I drill removes the rivet without damage to the body. Rick's kits that I have bought in the past and have in stock consist of a flat head machine screw with a screw driver slot with a large thin head roughly the size of the strap and a lock nut.

mechachy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Did manage to get them out. Now what about removing the rod/bar itself from inside the door? Do you just find a way to give it a good tug?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
if it's extended away from the door shell just give it a smack with a rubber hammer. if it doesn't fall into the door, it will be loose enough just to pull out.