Edelbrock Torker 289 Inlet Manifold

Brigand

Silver forum user
Hi all :)

Does anyone have an Edelbrock Torker inlet manifold fitted to their car? If so, do you have a thermostat fitted?

The reason I ask is that the manifold on my car does not seem to be able to take a thermostat, which means that the engine vary rarely gets up to temperature. I have also read on the internet that not having a thermostat fitted actually reduces the efficiency of the cooling system.

Thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Missing T-Stat ??

That's sure a new one on me ? Got a photo ? It may be as simple as using an outflow gooseneck with a T-stat ring cut into it . . . .anyway, need more info about the particular installation.

Brigand

Silver forum user
The problem is a simple one, but difficult to describe via the internet! Basically the mating surfaces of both the manifold and thermostat housing are flat, nither having a cut out to enable the stat to sit flush with the mating faces.

I'll take some photos and post them; it'll be easier to explain!

The car is a 1965 Mk1 Tiger with a 302 fitted by the way.

Brigand

Silver forum user
Here are a couple of pictures. You should know that this car is definitely a work in progress and has a multitude of faults. I am slowly working my way through them!

I'm not sure if the manifold is a Torker II or just a Torker.

DSCF2166.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF2165.jpg
[/IMG]

A-Snake

Bronze forum user
The problem is a simple one, but difficult to describe via the internet! Basically the mating surfaces of both the manifold and thermostat housing are flat, nither having a cut out to enable the stat to sit flush with the mating faces.

I'll take some photos and post them; it'll be easier to explain!

The car is a 1965 Mk1 Tiger with a 302 fitted by the way.

I would agree with the suggestion made by '0neoffive' find another gooseneck that has the 'cutout' for a t-stat. Original 302 goosenecks have the recess.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A recessed thermostat housing is on my list of 'replace when needed' items...the PO has a nice chrome thermostat housing installed w/o a recess. In the event I have to change thermostats, I have to use a gasket on each side of the thermostat, wait for it to get tacky enough to stay in place, and then bolt the housing onto the intake manifold. It's a bit of a pain, and I keep waiting for this thermostat housing to corrode so I can have an excuse to replace it- still waiting after 23 years...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Things Happen (OOPS!)

In a related anecdote, a customer called in with an overheating problem after carefully installing a T-stat in the manner described previous because of no detent/recess using two gaskets. Final solution found lots-O-glue where it didn't belong and the T-stat "which way is it supposed to face?" Pay attention, there may be a pop quizzzzzz . . . . . .

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ha-ha! Not saying that couldn't happen to me, but...I checked the Gano filter a couple of times after the install- only one miniscule spot of gasket sealer in the smaller of the two screens:)

Brigand

Silver forum user
Thanks guys. I wasn't even aware that there should be a thermostat housing; that will be the way I go.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I had a T-stat 'problem' for 2 years before the light went on !
I had bought what looked like a nice aftermarket housing ( c/w o-rings ) that had the recess for the T-stat.. installed it and it started leaking soon after. I pulled it off that winter and found that the face of the housing was warped...especially at the driver's side 'ear' . I filed it flat and reinstalled it... next year same problem... took it off.. flattened it again... eventually leaked again ! Next time, I payed a LOT more attention and realized that the recess had a slightly SMALLER diameter than the O.D. of the T-stat so what was happening was when I installed it, it would hang up on the edge and when I tightened it down, I would bend the ear on that side and bugger the seal. A new ( better ) housing was acquired and all is well now !

Jim
B382000446

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a T-stat 'problem' for 2 years before the light went on !
I had bought what looked like a nice aftermarket housing ( c/w o-rings ) that had the recess for the T-stat.. installed it and it started leaking soon after. I pulled it off that winter and found that the face of the housing was warped...especially at the driver's side 'ear' . I filed it flat and reinstalled it... next year same problem... took it off.. flattened it again... eventually leaked again ! Next time, I payed a LOT more attention and realized that the recess had a slightly SMALLER diameter than the O.D. of the T-stat so what was happening was when I installed it, it would hang up on the edge and when I tightened it down, I would bend the ear on that side and bugger the seal. A new ( better ) housing was acquired and all is well now !

Jim
B382000446

Jim,

I have a chrome T'stat housing, previous owner told me it leaked a bit and he had tries to seal it several times. Sure enough was s mall leak when i got it. Pulled it off.. made a gasket, used sealer.. fine for maybe 6 months.. then leaked.. same process again, this time ran the face on some fine sand paper figuring might not be flat.. new gasket.. 6 months later.. leak... might look into getting an original housing.. sounds liek all the aftermarket chrome ones are not much chop.