Engine compartment wiring underway

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Got tired sitting around during the "Super Storm" so made it into the garage to get some wiring done.

Started wiring sensors and related for the engine. Fitting wires into silicone fiberglass sleeve for some extra protection. Wires are all TXL or Teflon, but still nice to have them covered for extra protection.

Waiting on a connector for the MSD and can actually wire everything up.

20240128_134940.jpg

20240128_135102.jpg

20240128_145920.jpg

20240205_153548.jpg

20240205_153551.jpg

20240205_170141.jpg

20240205_170144.jpg

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Got tired sitting around during the "Super Storm" so made it into the garage to get some wiring done.

Started wiring sensors and related for the engine. Fitting wires into silicone fiberglass sleeve for some extra protection. Wires are all TXL or Teflon, but still nice to have them covered for extra protection.
Looks great! Make sure you run the coil drive (output) wires from the MSD in a separate harness from all your sensor wiring or you might end up with interference on the sensor channels.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks great! Make sure you run the coil drive (output) wires from the MSD in a separate harness from all your sensor wiring or you might end up with interference on the sensor channels.
The coil wires don't go out on the main connector for that reason, they come out on a separate connector with the pwm fan line. Hopefully it all works. Worse case I might have to use a shielded pair of wires for the msd output. Will see ;)

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Kind of like a MK2 I had in here a bit ago. All alloy 347 with a Motec controller. Crank fired ignition (no dizzy) with multiple coil packs, individual port fuel injection and sensors for just about everything! Probably over 20lbs of wire!!. We used the black woven loom covering that tightens up when you pull on it. Managed to get everything neat and mostly hidden. Put the motec controller in the cavity behind the RH door A pillar. Mounted the Motec display in the speaker housing of an LAT radio housing, coil packs were mounted on the backside of the RH false floor and we ran the plug wires out through the RH steering column hole.

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Very nice work! I like that multi-pin connector; thinking I need something like that for my dash to make installing it easier than balancing it on my lap while connecting dozens of individual wires. Where is that from? I'm guessing not cheap, but then what is?

Rick

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Very nice work! I like that multi-pin connector; thinking I need something like that for my dash to make installing it easier than balancing it on my lap while connecting dozens of individual wires. Where is that from? I'm guessing not cheap, but then what is?

Rick
I am not sure where he got all the components for his car... He just had me set it all up for him.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Kind of like a MK2 I had in here a bit ago. All alloy 347 with a Motec controller. Crank fired ignition (no dizzy) with multiple coil packs, individual port fuel injection and sensors for just about everything! Probably over 20lbs of wire!!. We used the black woven loom covering that tightens up when you pull on it. Managed to get everything neat and mostly hidden. Put the motec controller in the cavity behind the RH door A pillar. Mounted the Motec display in the speaker housing of an LAT radio housing, coil packs were mounted on the backside of the RH false floor and we ran the plug wires out through the RH steering column hole.
I had all that ready to go, with 8 stack injection, and decided not enough room in the Tiger for all that stuff, moved it to the Mustang and went the simple route on the Tiger. Firewall set up for the stacks, but when all said and done the carb will do just fine with a simple MSD ignition ;) Need to finish the Tiger before jumping back to the Mustang.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I wasn't clear. I was asking Sandy about the connector in his picture.
The connector and related stuff was from a company called Maven Performance. It's available from a few places that carry AMP/Tyco connectors as well. The nice thing about Maven is when you get the kit, it has the nice billet plate for the firewall, all the needed pins and related. They also have other versions and some nice connectors for Alternator and Battery cables for feed through the firewall. The only think you likely will need is the Deutsch barrel crimper, and if you look on Amazon they have them for anywhere 100-200 for them depending on brand. I picked up one from IWISS in the middle of that pricing, works really well. One other thing you might need is the pin removal tool, worth every penny!

Here is the link, scroll down and you will see connectors and related electrical. https://mavenspeed.com/

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I had all that ready to go, with 8 stack injection, and decided not enough room in the Tiger for all that stuff, moved it to the Mustang and went the simple route on the Tiger. Firewall set up for the stacks, but when all said and done the carb will do just fine with a simple MSD ignition ;) Need to finish the Tiger before jumping back to the Mustang.
We just used injector rails, still, once I installed the engine I found that I had to change to shorter injectors as the rails wouldn't fit against the firewall!
DSCF3707.JPG

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oddly the injectors were not really the thing that swayed me, more all the wiring, coils, and related. Injectors with the stacks likely would almost fit under the hood... well maybe not :) I just really wanted to get the car going and dealing with the EFI and related would have been another long sub-project. Motor in, carb on, couple of wires and a hose and it will run! I like your set up much better then the 'Electronic Carbs' a lot of folks are running. Port injection or a carb are my 2 options.