engine labels

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have a car in the shop that's missing its valve cover label... I have one ready to stamp, but need to get the correct Ford part number and S.O. numbers. (the complete bottom line of the label) The engine is 1842 and the batch is A27KA. This is a MK1 with a chassis number under 1000

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks to Brian Glenn for the answers to my question! and Ron Fraser too!

Last edited:

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I have a car in the shop that's missing its valve cover label... I have one ready to stamp, but need to get the correct Ford part number and S.O. numbers. (the complete bottom line of the label) The engine is 1842 and the batch is A27KA. This is a MK1 with a chassis number under 1000
How do you attach the original label to a new cover

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
How do you attach the original label to a new cover
I usually make up new labels and keep the old crusty valve covers on a shelf, so that when the time comes, I can show them to a prospective suitor. Getting an original label off might be kind of problematic! If you could, I'd probably use Weldbond HHR Landau Top Adhesive... It comes in a gallon can and can be brushed on or sprayed through a paint gun. I use this exclusively on interiors because it will not heat release like hardware store contact adhesive and bomb can contact adhesives...

Of course, if you are in California, just looking at the can will cause cancer, so they won't let you have it. It's available on line... I regularly get it off Ebay

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I usually make up new labels and keep the old crusty valve covers on a shelf, so that when the time comes, I can show them to a prospective suitor. Getting an original label off might be kind of problematic! If you could, I'd probably use Weldbond HHR Landau Top Adhesive... It comes in a gallon can and can be brushed on or sprayed through a paint gun. I use this exclusively on interiors because it will not heat release like hardware store contact adhesive and bomb can contact adhesives...

Of course, if you are in California, just looking at the can will cause cancer, so they won't let you have it. It's available on line... I regularly get it off Ebay
Hi Sean
I removed the good condition valve cover label fairly easily by using a propane torch on the inside of the valve cover and with a thin razor blade carefully pealing back an edge then slowly removing the label. It did smoke a bit and the black changed to a dark bronze color but no tears or crinkles. I will experiment with some thick aluminum foil that I have to find out if a thin layer of jb weld will work as an adhesive I will post my conclusion after my experiment.
How hot can the oil get in the valve area ???

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Hi Sean
I removed the good condition valve cover label fairly easily by using a propane torch on the inside of the valve cover and with a thin razor blade carefully pealing back an edge then slowly removing the label. It did smoke a bit and the black changed to a dark bronze color but no tears or crinkles. I will experiment with some thick aluminum foil that I have to find out if a thin layer of jb weld will work as an adhesive I will post my conclusion after my experiment.
How hot can the oil get in the valve area ???
oil temps can range from 180F to 235F or so... personally, I think JB weld will be way too thick,.... you shouldn't have any trouble with the adhesive I mentioned. I've never had it heat release

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
oil temps can range from 180F to 235F or so... personally, I think JB weld will be way too thick,.... you shouldn't have any trouble with the adhesive I mentioned. I've never had it heat release
I like your suggestion but at $90 for a gallon makes me think again šŸ˜®

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
A gallon goes a long way!
That it does! if you want real sticker shock... look up the price of a gallon of red in PPG Concept! When I started painting in the 80's, a gallon of paint, even red was rarely over $350 a gallon... back then it was just called Deltron, but that was a single stage urethane, very similar to today's Concept line... My price for a gallon now is just over $1200 not including the hardener or reducer.. With those two additional components it's nearly $2000 a gallon.... figure a gallon and a half to do a complete shell (inside and out) plus epoxy primer (and catalyst) and hi build primer (and catalyst) you can be upwards of $4-4500 just in materials!

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
That it does! if you want real sticker shock... look up the price of a gallon of red in PPG Concept! When I started painting in the 80's, a gallon of paint, even red was rarely over $350 a gallon... back then it was just called Deltron, but that was a single stage urethane, very similar to today's Concept line... My price for a gallon now is just over $1200 not including the hardener or reducer.. With those two additional components it's nearly $2000 a gallon.... figure a gallon and a half to do a complete shell (inside and out) plus epoxy primer (and catalyst) and hi build primer (and catalyst) you can be upwards of $4-4500 just in materials!
Wow ! Rust oleum rattle cans shot up from just under $4.00 to almost $6.00 a can Luckily my Tiger paint has come back halfway decent after removing the oxidation. I could not imagine myself paying huge amounts for a paint job if I did I would be afraid of getting it out of the garage

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Wow ! Rust oleum rattle cans shot up from just under $4.00 to almost $6.00 a can Luckily my Tiger paint has come back halfway decent after removing the oxidation. I could not imagine myself paying huge amounts for a paint job if I did I would be afraid of getting it out of the garage
The fittings I buy to make up the remote oil filter hoses have gone from $21 to $35 ea. I think it's more opportunism, than inflation....

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You got the sticker shock as well for the Concept paint. I never imagined it would cost that much.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The fittings I buy to make up the remote oil filter hoses have gone from $21 to $35 ea. I think it's more opportunism, than inflation....
It's inflation regardless of how you think. I drop ship loads of washer fluid from Detroit to a warehouse on the east side of Cincinnati. That's an easy 5 hour drive on I 75. A year ago the freight was 1200 to 1400 dependent on fuel surcharge. A year later the freight cost has doubled. Another problem is getting the resin to make the jugs. That problem pertains to any plastic bottles or jugs for packaging lubes or coolant. The kid works at a plant in the Orlando area that makes juice bottles. They also have the same problem. That shortage has driven up cost as well as short inventories. Diesel exhaust fluid has increased due to the largest supplier of Urea being India. Supply has been reduced with cost going up. I would also suggest you stock up on brake fluid because one key ester ingredient comes from China and the blenders have sent out notice that the item will be in short supply and distributors will see allocations in the near future. We received letters saying the problem started with work stoppage during the Chinese Lunar New Year. I could rattle on for hours about inventories but it's all inflation.