Engine oil on the bellhousing ...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I recently encounter an issue with engine oil collecting/dripping down from the lowest point of the bellhousing. In the beginning I suspected a rear main seal leak, but when carefully examining it looks as if it is running down the the block on the passenger side. Suspected the passenger valve cover leaking and re- sealed it, but then found as small lake of oil on rear top of the block. Looks to me as if the rear inlet manifold cork seal is gone. Any advises ?

Furthermore it seams that also the oil pan on the rear starts to leak - oil running down the clutch shield. Since I'm anyway about to exchange the oil pan any experiences with these single piece rubber oil seals ? There are several makes available. Any recommendations or don't do's?

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a similar thing happen, as it turned out it was a loose rear valve cover bolt causing the drip. Tough to get to so I put an Allen head bolt back in, easy to do with the Allen head right angle wrench. Well, years later no oil dripping but a freshening of the valve cover surfaces had me remove this Allen head bolt at the rear on each side. I was not happy trying to re—align the wrench over the head of that bolt I couldn’t see. It was a bastard of a job. Upon the time to reinstall the valve covers and new gaskets, a regular head bolt went back in! People say maintenance is tough to do on these cars, it’s not hard, just takes longer, and to recognize when to put the tools down and walk away until tomorrow. Things usually fall into place the next day.

ojxxx

Silver forum user
I recently encounter an issue with engine oil collecting/dripping down from the lowest point of the bellhousing. In the beginning I suspected a rear main seal leak, but when carefully examining it looks as if it is running down the the block on the passenger side. Suspected the passenger valve cover leaking and re- sealed it, but then found as small lake of oil on rear top of the block. Looks to me as if the rear inlet manifold cork seal is gone. Any advises ?

Furthermore it seams that also the oil pan on the rear starts to leak - oil running down the clutch shield. Since I'm anyway about to exchange the oil pan any experiences with these single piece rubber oil seals ? There are several makes available. Any recommendations or don't do's?
re: 1pc rubber seal. They're tough to install with the engine in the car, they work best with engine upside down on an engine stand. They weigh quite a bit and you just don't have enough hands etc to hold it all up in place on the block and install the oil pan. With motor in car I use the 'felt' gasket for the rails, each side is independent and I install to the block with Permatex 'Right Stuff' sealant and bolt it up in place with the oil pan bolts, the next day I pull the bolts and then install the pan. With intake gaskets I seal them to the heads/block and set the intake on and use a bolt in each hole without drawing down tight to keep from pushing those corks etc out, the next day I pull all the bolts and intake for a looksee at the alignment, apply sealant on the water passages, dab the corners of head & block and then bolt the intake down proper.

grelley

Silver forum user
I had the same problem with my Tiger, oil pooling in the cavity at the rear of the block and then running down the back of the engine. It was the cork gasket at the rear of the intake manifold. Relaced and sealed the intake manifold gasket with additional sealant. Problem solved. Re the rocker cover bolts, in the rear corners I used ARP bolts which have a 5/16 head so easier to get a small spanner in there. There is also a blanking plug in the bulkhead that can be removed to gain easier access to the l/r bolt

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Back in my Pre-Tiger days, I had a Mustang with a rear intake oil leak.

I cleaned up the leak area Real good, again, back when you could GET good Carb and Brake cleaners.

And then sealed it up with RTV (new to the market back then), It worked great!

I have been a fan of RTV ever since.

Not a fan of the one piece oil pan gasket.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great advises thanks. Does it mean I have to scratch out the cork seal on the back of manifold ? Or is it enough to just clean it with brake cleaner and apply RTV externally ?

P.S. Will not go for the single rubber oil pan seal then. Very expensive anyway...

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I had a leak at the cork gasket at the back of my intake manifold, I removed the intake manifold and replaced all the gaskets. As I recall, the cork gasket came off pretty easily. I just used a scraper to get it off the block as well as the cast iron intake manifold I had then. I am not sure how good a seal you would get by applying the RTV externally, but others might have experience with that method.