Extra Stock Keys

Warren

Gold forum user
The keys are RM806 ST807 unsure if 807 is a Tiger key # RM865 .

16454893173487498026048504434409.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
These came with other Alpine cars and are well worn. I'll have to find my ledger page.

Warren

Gold forum user
Ilco or CCC key blanks are fine but don't have the Rootes originality. Patrick
K. Runs a recurring ad in the STOA newsletter and I believe M . Taylor has some too.

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do you have contact info for M Taylor? I donā€™t know him. Thanks, Rick

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes, I routinely do not put guys first and last names online cause I got my ear chewed off once and that was enough. Wait one.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
RL keys were for ALPINE. RM keys for Tiger. The RL and RM keys will fit the locks interchangeably. Consoles and boot locks were always FS type without exception.... ST keys were used were used sporadically through the entire production of Tigers. The most common ST keys appears to be ST801, followed by ST875. I also found ST811, ST821, ST827, ST831, ST837, ST839, ST853, ST871., ST882, ST885, ST877, ST891, and ST897.

I found one record for ST807.. B382002701 admittedly, I do not have a COMPLETE set of the Jensen Ledgers, there could be more!

Last edited:

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
As Austin Healer stated, most Tigers had the RM keys for the door and ignition keys. About 20% of Tigers had ST keys instead, which are a mirror image of the RM, as shown in the first picture. Therefore, RM and ST keys will not interchange, as the fluting and teeth are opposite. RM and RL have the same fluting and face the same way, and therefore will interchange. There were only three ST keys in the Mk ll Tiger range, the rest being RM. The RM and RL had slightly different "onion" heads, with the RL being a bit narrower. Original RM keys are hard to source. The Ilco and CCC keys are of course copies, and don't look the same, but are more useful for use. Always wondered how those totally worn originals even worked, perhaps because the barrels were as worn as the keys.
David

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Mark at VolvoGuys has been an excellent source of RM keys and has a smaller selection of ST keys as well. He has supplied me with every key I have wanted over the last 5 plus years. I have a few ST door handle locks (no keys) which could be rekeyed to accept other ST key numbers... There are far and few between! Coming up with an ST ignition lock would be pretty difficult, indeed. I do have an RL 901 (I think) ignition lock with a pair of NOS Rootes Chrysler Pentastar keys.....

An FS ignition lock will accept an RL or RM key.....

There were 4 MK2 ST keys, car chassis numbers in parenthesis... These were ST827 (B382100454), ST831 (B382100460) , ST871, (B382100106) and ST883 (B382100467), as I said, I do not have a complete set of the ledgers, but these would appear to be the only MK2's with ST keys.

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mark at VolvoGuys has been an excellent source of RM keys and has a smaller selection of ST keys as well. He has supplied me with every key I have wanted over the last 5 plus years. I have a few ST door handle locks (no keys) which could be rekeyed to accept other ST key numbers... There are far and few between! Coming up with an ST ignition lock would be pretty difficult, indeed. I do have an RL 901 (I think) ignition lock with a pair of NOS Rootes Chrysler Pentastar keys.....

An FS ignition lock will accept an RL or RM key.....

There were 4 MK2 ST keys, car chassis numbers in parenthesis... These were ST827 (B382100454), ST831 (B382100460) , ST871, (B382100106) and ST883 (B382100467), as I said, I do not have a complete set of the ledgers, but these would appear to be the only MK2's with ST keys.
Does anybody have an idea of how many cars might have the original keys and barrels? Maybe that's the reason keys are not part of the judging guide. I have always replaced the switch on my cars during the restoration but I install the original barrels into the switch. I know that over the years of judging Sunbeams that checking keys has never come up. TE/AE gives the judging sheets to the owners and the owner has knowledge of why points were deducted. This gives the owner a chance to correct items if the car is in a stock class. As the quality of the cars increases it may become something to pursue in order to break a tie.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
every car i restore gets a new set of NOS keys the original code for that car. It's a fairly easy thing to do... Unless of course, you have a car with ST keys! That makes it just a bit harder!!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
every car i restore gets a new set of NOS keys the original code for that car. It's a fairly easy thing to do... Unless of course, you have a car with ST keys! That makes it just a bit harder!!
How many Sunbeams have you restored and are they mainly west coast cars?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
A dozen or so. Most from West Coast, (Canada to California), 2 from eastern Canada (Ontario). Currently I have a Mk1 from San Diego and a transition bodied Mk1a from Langley, B.C. in the shop along with the '64 Aston Martin DB5 New York Show car. Over the last 40 years, 2 Aston Martins, 50-60 Big Healeys, half dozen Jaguars, a few TR's and one Sunbeam Talbot 90 Mk2a DHC. Keys are just one of the final items to square away, and thankfully I have had access to good records to establish what's correct. It's just a nice thing to give someone a set of brand new keys, to go with their freshly restored car.

I've sourced keys, both RM and FS, for both of the current Tiger projects from Mark at Volvoguys... I Use TripleC a lot for FA, FP and FS Union keys.

The first thing I get when restoring a car is a copy of either the ledger page (Tiger) or a BMHIT record from England for the other makes.

volvoguys

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
A dozen or so. Most from West Coast, (Canada to California), 2 from eastern Canada (Ontario). Currently I have a Mk1 from San Diego and a transition bodied Mk1a from Langley, B.C. in the shop along with the '64 Aston Martin DB5 New York Show car. Over the last 40 years, 2 Aston Martins, 50-60 Big Healeys, half dozen Jaguars, a few TR's and one Sunbeam Talbot 90 Mk2a DHC. Keys are just one of the final items to square away, and thankfully I have had access to good records to establish what's correct. It's just a nice thing to give someone a set of brand new keys, to go with their freshly restored car.

I've sourced keys, both RM and FS, for both of the current Tiger projects from Mark at Volvoguys... I Use TripleC a lot for FA, FP and FS Union keys.

The first thing I get when restoring a car is a copy of either the ledger page (Tiger) or a BMHIT record from England for the other makes.
Thanx for the plug, Sean.

I currently have a respectable selection of NOS pre-stamped and pre-cut Rootes RM (L&F), ST (Strebor) and Wilmot Breeden FS (Union) keys. Stock is thinning out, but I still have a few dozen numbers of each type on hand.

Mark ..... volvoguys

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mark, bring all of the keys and other parts to the United in New Hampshire in August. I'm sure the keys would sell.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanx for the plug, Sean.

I currently have a respectable selection of NOS pre-stamped and pre-cut Rootes RM (L&F), ST (Strebor) and Wilmot Breeden FS (Union) keys. Stock is thinning out, but I still have a few dozen numbers of each type on hand.

Mark ..... volvoguys
you are more than welcome!