Fastener list

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Most of the fasteners used on the Tiger.
One noted exception are the Whitworth screws used on the seat frame.

I cannot see a method to post this as an Excel spreadsheet, so message me if you want one

Attachments

• Fastener list.pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 141

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together! Many folks working on their Tigers will benefit from and appreciate you work. I do have a few questions.
1. Is there a meaning why some things are in red font and others are in black font?
2. What does the AN in front of washer stand for?
3. What does the USS in front of washer stand for?

Again, thank you for this!

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
AN stands for Army Navy and are small O.D. washers

USS stands for United States Standard and are larger O.D. and relatively thick

The other common washer designation is SAE which is in between the other two but not specified on the list

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
AN stands for Army Navy and are small O.D. washers

USS stands for United States Standard and are larger O.D. and relatively thick

The other common washer designation is SAE which is in between the other two but not specified on the list
Thanks! To me Army Navy was an annual football game between those two military academies and USS was U.S. Steel!

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That is great that you did that. One question though, what do the red and black letter colors mean?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks! To me Army Navy was an annual football game between those two military academies and USS was U.S. Steel!
Yeah, I learned about AN fasteners and standards when I was doing my brake and fuel lines and was surprised by that too.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
British flat washers are smaller OD than US flat washers and are referred to as "imperial" sized washers

Erich

Gold forum user
Most of the fasteners used on the Tiger.
One noted exception are the Whitworth screws used on the seat frame.

I cannot see a method to post this as an Excel spreadsheet, so message me if you want one
This is an awesome list. Thank you.
Does it include the fasteners used in the hardtop? I did not see that location listed?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
here goes!

top latches to header #10-32 pan head phillips chrome x 5/8" long with internal tooth lock washer and flat washer 4 of each
side latches to B post cap #10-32 flat head phillips chrome x 1/2" long with external tooth cupped lock washers 10 of each
rubber buffers on bottom of side latches #6-32 pan head phillips (brass) 1/4" long total of 8
metal plates securing rubber pads at bases of the buttresses #6 pan head phillips sheet metal screw 1/2" long bright zinc total of 8
Qtr window hinge screws/bright alloy vertical seat retainer #6-32 x 3/8 long pan head chrome with internal tooth lock washers total of 6
qtr window latch to buttress #6-32 oval head phillips by 1/2" long total of 4
rear cleats (engage in trunk hinges) #8-32 pan head chrome by 1/2" long total of 6
cantrail seals (above door glass #6 pan head sheetmetal screw x 1/2"long, black oxide total of 10
woven seal at headliner (top of door glass alloy 1/8 rivet or #6 flat head bright zinc, phillips screw 1/4" long total of 6
end of header to w/s seal #6 phillips oval head sheet metal screw 1/2" long with flush cup washer. one at each end of seal
early cars through 1965 generally have Phillips screws, cars built in '66/67 usually have pozi drive screws

as it's very difficult to find chrome plated screws, I opt for stainless

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
two more that I forgot

screws for buttons on rear qtr glass. 10-32 pan head phillips chrome 1/4" long with external tooth lock washer total of 2 each

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
here goes!

top latches to header #10-32 pan head phillips chrome x 5/8" long with internal tooth lock washer and flat washer 4 of each
side latches to B post cap #10-32 flat head phillips chrome x 1/2" long with external tooth cupped lock washers 10 of each
rubber buffers on bottom of side latches #6-32 pan head phillips (brass) 1/4" long total of 8
metal plates securing rubber pads at bases of the buttresses #6 pan head phillips sheet metal screw 1/2" long bright zinc total of 8
Qtr window hinge screws/bright alloy vertical seat retainer #6-32 x 3/8 long pan head chrome with internal tooth lock washers total of 6
qtr window latch to buttress #6-32 oval head phillips by 1/2" long total of 4
rear cleats (engage in trunk hinges) #8-32 pan head chrome by 1/2" long total of 6
cantrail seals (above door glass #6 pan head sheetmetal screw x 1/2"long, black oxide total of 10
woven seal at headliner (top of door glass alloy 1/8 rivet or #6 flat head bright zinc, phillips screw 1/4" long total of 6
end of header to w/s seal #6 phillips oval head sheet metal screw 1/2" long with flush cup washer. one at each end of seal
early cars through 1965 generally have Phillips screws, cars built in '66/67 usually have pozi drive screws

as it's very difficult to find chrome plated screws, I opt for stainless
Yup, I had a handful chromed a while ago and the cost far exceeded the cosmetic need for "never seize" on the stainless threads!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Iirc many years ago there was a fastener list on the old tiger mailing list. Is this based on that?
There also used to be someone who offered a full stainless steel fastener kit for those not inclined to trawl through the stores.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Iirc many years ago there was a fastener list on the old tiger mailing list. Is this based on that?
There also used to be someone who offered a full stainless steel fastener kit for those not inclined to trawl through the stores.
Based on a commercial kit I bought about 20 years ago, and fleshed out since

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The local DoItBest hardware store sells both stainless and chrome fasteners under the Hillman brand name. The national chains may be a source of a small number of needed pieces.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I bought a bolt kit for my Tiger from these guys: https://www.totallystainless.com/Catalog.html

It has the right size nuts and bolts. However, they are stainless and don't look original. That was not a concern for my project.
Never, ever use stainless fasteners on ANY part of the suspension, steering or brakes. It's much more apt to break as it is much more brittle than a grade 5 steel fastener. It's also liable to gall the threads.. You should always use anti seize if threading a stainless fastener into one of a different material.

Original fasteners in English system are bright zinc, grade 1 or 2, black oxide fasteners are grade 5, any in yellow cad are grade 8. I've only ever encountered grade 8 bolts used for caliper mounting on later Big Healeys. I've never seen any on Tigers or Alpines