Found on eBay

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not a part but an interesting little artifact, it's a matchbook from a foreign car dealership with two locations, Fisher Imports in Hollywood and Fisher Manhattan Motors in Manhattan Beach. The second location is of interest to me because growing up in Manhattan Beach just a few blocks from that location in the '70s I remember it was still a small foreign car dealership that sold Lotus cars among others.
From the matchbook, they obviously sold Rootes Group vehicles earlier. I searched online for any info and the only thing I found was a 1960 ad from the nearby Torrance Press with great deals on Singer Gazelles.
It's intriguing to think that Alpines and Tigers were likely sold there just a few years before I knew of it.

Any further info would be greatly appreciated

IMG_4698.jpgIMG_4699.jpgScreen Shot 2024-01-09 at 5.31.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-09 at 5.49.09 PM.png

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
CAT's Membership Chairman, Brian Glenn, wrote an article which appeared in Tiger Tales listing the US Sunbeam dealerships. I believe it was from one year, but do not recall which year. I do not recall seeing Fisher Motors in Manhattan Beach listed, though. Since I don't live too far from the address listed, I will have to check it out the next time I drive by. I do know there is no Fisher Motors in Manhattan Beach anymore. Thanks for sharing!

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This is a current view of the address. Online records show a build date of 1957 and that it was last altered in 1980. To me it certainly looks like it could have been a small dealership. I remember the cars parked along the left side and I believe the big door on the side was the service department. It's actually still an automotive related entity being a ride share rental business.

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 8.53.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Doing a little research, in the ''70s, it was Bob Chairman Ecurie Shirlee (Bob's wife) Lotus and Bob was a big player in the Lotus world. They also sold Alfa Romeos. I did find this postcard and it looks like the rear service area was quite different then.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 8.08.59 AM.png

I'm still searching for photos of it from the Rootes Group days.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
In Okanogan, Wa., of all places, there used to be an International Harvester dealership... (Okanogan Truck and Tractor) They sold Rootes group cars as well. The current owner (son of the original owner) still has a Hillman Minx from the late 50's that was sold by his father new! It's parked next to the business right now.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I found this Nov, 1959 Torrance Herald ad showing the newly introduced Sunbeam Alpine. It's not a stretch to say five years later they were probably selling Tigers at Manhattan Motors.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 9.05.24 PM.png

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
it was Bob Chairman Ecurie Shirlee (Bob's wife) Lotus and Bob was a big player in the Lotus world.
In the early sixties Shelby's John Morton bought a pair of Lotuses from Challman in Manhattan Beach. First was a Lotus Super 7 which he later traded in for a 23B. As luck would have it John also had Bob as his instructor in John's first SCCA driving school. About the same time, when Scooter Patrick wasn't racing Porsches for Otto Zipper, Scooter was selling Rootes products at his PAM motors, a bit more than a dozen blocks to the south on the opposite side of Sepulveda. Scooter said he could sell every Tiger he could get his hands on but in order to get one he also had to also order some Alpines, Imps and other Rootes vehicles. PAM's former location is now a paint store.

I am also familiar with 2301 Sepulveda which used to be the local Enterprise rental car location before becoming the real estate office it is today.

1705126083309.png
1705125260345.png

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Otto Zipper always had some eye candy for those travelling south on Sepulveda back in the 60's and 70's...