Fuel Pump relocation

Johnnyb

Bronze forum user
I want to relocate my fuel pump to the Mk2 location in the trunk.
Any suggestions on what pump and filter would be fantastic. also any pics would and input would be helpful. Thanks.............

Warren

Gold forum user
Quiet

Easy to replace fittings and connections for a roadside repair if needed and priced right enough to carry a spare and good enough to not need it. I guess that's why so many Tiger owners seem to like those see thru fuel filters. What do you have now other than the stock location?

I have a loud Holley and have had the cheaper Facet which wasn't much quieter.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Done the easy way !

Original SU with rebent bracket and creative plumbing.

Attachments

• R Langworth Fuel Mount 001.JPG
    R Langworth Fuel Mount 001.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 308

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Fuel pump

Carter fuel pump installed in 1994 ( Car has done 96,000 miles since installation)

Still running fine !!!!

Gilles

Attachments

• 20180418_112616.jpg
    20180418_112616.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 256

Johnnyb

Bronze forum user
Fuel pump

Hey Warren I'm not sure what pump I have now , it's the kind you need a BFR to restart it. It's wrapped in heat shield along with the lines but maybe the summer gas formula plus the heat is too much. I bought the Su pump from SS and plan on a pre pump filter. Good idea to carry a spare.
Can't wait to meet the new girl:D

Warren

Gold forum user
Hard line

What can't be seen from the pictures is the stock thin rubber ring isolating the stock SU from it's bracket and the stock filter location underneath the MK2 boot. I have never read anything about the how or why of the earlier pump location. Maybe Jim is offering to run a impromptu fix in ;)
I could bring my selection of 3 SU don't suck fuel pumps and a rebuild kit and adult beverages and an old inner tube or some flat plumbing sheet stock for mounting help.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's what I did for a fuel injection setup. The pump is a Walbro but I think you could use a similar configuration. Just another image for comparison...
-Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_3264.jpeg
    IMG_3264.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 262

Johnnyb

Bronze forum user
Thank you

Thank you to all my friends for their input and pictures!
Now I can make it home from car shows😎

Attachments

• 165A4370-9DF6-4E65-ABAD-664033F7A9E2.jpeg
    165A4370-9DF6-4E65-ABAD-664033F7A9E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 233

Warren

Gold forum user
Been wanting to do this for some time. What's stopped me is the nice AN fittings and lines that came with the car.
What I learned.
After a trip to Earl's and way into the project their suggestions that fuel lines be replaced every few years.
On conflicting advice from my peers and more experienced guys, my decision was a quiet inexpensive cube with 3 to 5 PSI . Holley 600 that's good on the freeway and looked good on air fuel.
I've seen lots of cars with a pressure regulator.

The Holley Red was installed by the P. O. and has a good lifespan until it's 7 PSI spring valve failed . Drowning the carburetor on the mid course at last T. U.
Now if this was an old Honda I'd start with a solid whack on the float bowl(s) to stem the flow. What saved the car was the Dr. SPMDR saying pull the fuel pump wire. One spark away from a car b que and disaster.

No more runs after for me I limped to the host hotel stopping to remove the power from the pump.

Don't worry I'll get back to the re location.

So I thought ahead enough to purchase and bring along a spare pump of the same brand and fitment. And as the Dr. would say it worked great till it didn't. 300 miles later it was leaking on the muffler. So S___t list is Holley Red now China made can leak out of the impeller housing. Je__s a part supplier blows as on a defective part required I pay shipping both ways.

On my replacement pump Facet cube much much quieter and less expensive. Had to go Pegasus as Amazon would not ship to Calunicornia for some reason. In MK2 location 3 to 5 PSI within my carb and build requirements. Certainly not a SU but the SU rebuilder wants more than the cost of a new one from Sunbeam Specialties or Moss.

pitman

Bronze forum user
Is there any reason an MK I with 289 can't use a gerotor-type fuel pump?
(I'm eyeing a Mallory 29256 w/ 7psi internal regulator to feed my Holley despite the overkill of 110GPH, because...well, the noise of vanes gives me the sh*ts) -- unless the Dynamo can't put out enough juice(?). Not sure of the current draw but it requires a 7.5amp fuse.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
The pump eccentric should still be on your motor. The SU is barely noticeable. The Facet is noticeable and Pegasus lists several different models to fit your requirements. A pilot buddy of mine plus the Dr.
As to the generator question,
the stock gennie at idle is like driving a old VW as you rev the engine you have dim and not as dim and so on. Don't drive at night or with the heater on high or use headlights as day time running lights as it'll make it worse.
The best way is to meet up with your Tiger buddies and listen to their rig.

thickeyjr

Bronze forum user
The project car I bought came with a Stewart Warner 240A pump fully rebuilt, along with enough extra parts for a spare, plus some. Thoughts on this as on option? I am thinking about mounting it in the spare tire well like several others have. Thanks...

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes, I'd take much less of I had one. But you should check the PSI and how loud it is. Some are as annoying as an electric cooling fan

thickeyjr

Bronze forum user
It is that one for sure, but I can't imagine anyone paying that much. When I get a little farther along in my project, I will test it for PSI and noise level. Thanks for the input.