Gas Tank Repair

Doggitz

New forum user
CAT Member
A bit off topic, but I also have an Alpine SII for which I just acquired a used gas tank that needs to be reconditioned. Does anyone have experience with the different products out there such as RedKote or ReNu? I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Fred

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
We have welded up a few and our (now retired) radiator guy used a marine grade chemical liner that worked great. I'm guessing that particular product is now on the EPA list.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I used POR-15 gas tank sealer. POR is a well respected brand so that is what I used.
I first filled put some evaporust in the tanks with some nuts and bolts to rattle around in there when I shook the tanks every few hours. After that, I used ospho in the tanks to convert any rust left to iron phosphate.

After letting that dry, I used the POR-15 sealer.

After a year, the tanks don't leak and there doesn't seem to be any residue or grit in the fuel.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have taken to a metal stripper company to soak/rinse in an acid solution - come back looking great. I have avoided tanks needing repair, but know my local readiator shop does repairs on as tanks. Then have used the Red-Kote and happy with results. FYI, we can not get RedKote locally in Denver but I was able to puchase recently off ebay. I have also used the EvapoRust and it works very well - use the stuff often. In my case, the metal stripping company pricing was about the same as a gallon of EvapoRust so saved the time plus get the ouside stripped of all paint as well.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have taken to a metal stripper company to soak/rinse in an acid solution - come back looking great. I have avoided tanks needing repair, but know my local readiator shop does repairs on as tanks. Then have used the Red-Kote and happy with results. FYI, we can not get RedKote locally in Denver but I was able to puchase recently off ebay. I have also used the EvapoRust and it works very well - use the stuff often. In my case, the metal stripping company pricing was about the same as a gallon of EvapoRust so saved the time plus get the ouside stripped of all paint as well.
Years ago I had my tank stripped by a radiator shop. They used an aviation coating on the inside which was a yellow colour. Seems to be just fine 40 years later.

tirechip

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
The yellow-green coating is likely zinc chromate. Used widely in aviation applications for corrosion prevention. If applied correctly and not scratched or abraded, it will last quite a long time.

Chip