Gaskets For Sparto Reverse Lights

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I’m going to install Sparto reverse lights on my Mk 1 . I am missing the wedge shaped gaskets that go between the light and the rear valance . I’m going to cast some up in flexible urethane . Could some one give me the thick and thin end of the gaskets so I can make up a pattern. I could probably just work it out but if I’m going to the trouble of making a pattern I would like to get it right . Thanks - Karl

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I’m going to install Sparto reverse lights on my Mk 1 . I am missing the wedge shaped gaskets that go between the light and the rear valance . I’m going to cast some up in flexible urethane . Could some one give me the thick and thin end of the gaskets so I can make up a pattern. I could probably just work it out but if I’m going to the trouble of making a pattern I would like to get it right . Thanks - Karl
Do you mean WIPAC reverse lamps? The rectangular ones?

The spatro lamps are like chrome exhaust tips and they have a cast mounting that goes to the valence with essentially a rubber disk as the gasket.

The WIPAC used an angled spacer to make them horizontal

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The Wipac lights used a stainless steel spacer with an inner bevel to allow the lamp assy to be tightened in a vertical orientation. These had a flat rubber washer between the spacer and the rear valance. The Sparto assy used something more akin to the gaskets on a 1966 Mustang reverse lamp assy...

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Do you mean WIPAC reverse lamps? The rectangular ones?

The spatro lamps are like chrome exhaust tips and they have a cast mounting that goes to the valence with essentially a rubber disk as the gasket.

The WIPAC used an angled spacer to make them horizontal
The Spartos I have - have a basically flat casting base - meaning that they would be severely angled downwards with direct attachment to the valance . Perhaps some photos of the spartos installed would help me -Karl

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Spartos I have - have a basically flat casting base - meaning that they would be severely angled downwards with direct attachment to the valance . Perhaps some photos of the spartos installed would help me -Karl
Karl... It's not a rubber gasket that holds them on...there is a cast base. There are 2 types...one that has a compound curve that mounts them to the outer edges.. the other late style inboard of the over riders ..

I'll add some pictures for you soon.
You could make some bases from a stainless steel tube and then profile it to match the valence...

Funnily enough I was discussing these with a friend 2 weeks ago...he had a full NOS rootes kit.. lamps, bases switches the lot... But sold them last weekend after having them on a shelf for 15 years.

I was debating having a friend CNC the bases in either aluminium or stainless.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Some internet research suggests although I have Spartos they are not correct for the Tiger . I will have to fabricate a slopped spacer to make them fit .

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Karl... It's not a rubber gasket that holds them on...there is a cast base. There are 2 types...one that has a compound curve that mounts them to the outer edges.. the other late style inboard of the over riders ..

I'll add some pictures for you soon.
You could make some bases from a stainless steel tube and then profile it to match the valence...

Funnily enough I was discussing these with a friend 2 weeks ago...he had a full NOS rootes kit.. lamps, bases switches the lot... But sold them last weekend after having them on a shelf for 15 years.

I was debating having a friend CNC the bases in either aluminium or stainless.
Thank you Michael - I'd be a starter for CNC bases -Otherwise will go to the stainless tube route -Karl

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here are the bases and lamps.

IMG_7321.jpg

images (34).jpeg

IMG_7322.jpg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Some internet research suggests although I have Spartos they are not correct for the Tiger . I will have to fabricate a slopped spacer to make them fit .
Another option if you don't want to cut the opening in the rear valance is to make a bracket to hang the lights from the bolt that secures the bumper bracket to the frame rail. The wiring can be run thru the same grommet as the plate lights.