Generator pulley/Fan Pulley Alignment

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI Wrong Hub

Jim,

Here is the distance you are looking for. This is an original Tiger pump off of my 260. A dime will slip in between the hub and the pump body.

The fan hub on that pump is not an original Tiger unit. But, it had obviously been pressed back from the common Ford position to run more true with the Tiger's rigging.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
The fan hub on that pump is not an original Tiger unit. But, it had obviously been pressed back from the common Ford position to run more true with the Tiger's rigging.

Cool, good info. I am holding on to this pump to have rebuilt someday, looks like I need to source the correct hub now.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Jim,

I really encourage you to take one last look at this. Just take off the fan and pulley so you can get a good look at the pump shaft behind the fan hub. What gap you do you see along the shaft between the pump body snout end and the back of the hub? That is the distance, less a smidge of clearance by which the hub can be pushed back for better belt alignment with the generator. If it can still go back another 1/8 - 1/4 inch, I say pull the pump and have it done. With the pump off the car to do that you can also check for the spacing I previously stated.

Randy,

I have two old pumps with hubs that have 1 inch center tips for the original fans. One has only a 1/16 or so additional back side thickness at the shaft. It has a somewhat thick (3/8?) fan centering tip with rounded front edge on the fan side. The other has about 1/4 inch thickness at the shaft at the hub backside and thus could not be pressed back as far as the first one. It is rather rounded in shape. The fan locator center on this hub also is much shorter and has a squared end.

I am thinking the first one is looking more like the picture you posted. Without sending my own pictures, does either one sound like the original pump hub to you?

Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

Randy,

I have two old pumps with hubs that have 1 inch center tips for the original fans. One has only a 1/16 or so additional back side thickness at the shaft. It has a somewhat thick (3/8?) fan centering tip with rounded front edge on the fan side. The other has about 1/4 inch thickness at the shaft at the hub backside and thus could not be pressed back as far as the first one. It is rather rounded in shape. The fan locator center on this hub also is much shorter and has a squared end.

I am thinking the first one is looking more like the picture you posted. Without sending my own pictures, does either one sound like the original pump hub to you?

Gene

The former mentioned critter sounds like the proper hub. The blunt-nosed hub may just be a two-pieced affair that someone pressed a 1" bushing on to fill up the Tiger's fan hole . . . . . .

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Thanks Randy,

Maybe between us Jim has some additional information he can use. Thanks to your posts, I and hopefully others have again learned something!

Gene

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fine Line

Gene

Thanks. At least I now understand what exactly are the issues and what I am suppose to measure. I walk a fine line between driveability and perfection. Right now this issue seems to be falling into the driveability category. I have made a note but think I will save this for another day...

Jim

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
If and when you do decide to put the reduced diameter pulley on, etc. I hope you will let us all know how it works for you. We all learn from each other. :D

Gene

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gene

Roger that. As a last request, I would appreciate any photos from the members of a correct pump-hub so when I do tackle this I can compare to my current arrangement and have a good idea of what I need.

Thanks, Jim

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
If and when you do decide to put the reduced diameter pulley on

The OEM hub with a 1" nose will not work. You have to get a new pump with a 1/2" shaft for the smaller pulley. Then press the new pumps hub down to the correct "Tiger" distance from the pump body. BTDT twice.

005-1.jpg

Also note the Derale 15" fan.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke

Thanks...what I really need is to improve my mechanical abilities...you should make videos as you take apart and reassemble your engine.

Jim

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Duke,

That's a good reminder. I have been through so many different water pumps and tried so many different fans over the years I forgot about the fan center hole and hub match up issues.

Just curious how much clearance you have between the rack tube and the 15 inch fan. Hopefully my new motor mounts will allow me to fit one. I do have with the correct spacer washers between the mounts and the block. But, with the old motor mounts, a 15 inch fan won't fit.

BTW, I see you also have a Fairmont pulley. I managed to find one a couple of years ago and found it really helped. Recommended to all.

Gene

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke

Thanks...what I really need is to improve my mechanical abilities...you should make videos as you take apart and reassemble your engine.

Jim

I sure hope to not be doing any more of that for the distant future. Have run the engine several times now bringing it up to temp to adjust the idle and have no leaks thus far.....knock on wood.

Just curious how much clearance you have between the rack tube and the 15 inch fan. Hopefully my new motor mounts will allow me to fit one. I do have with the correct spacer washers between the mounts and the block. But, with the old motor mounts, a 15 inch fan won't fit.

I have a large 1/8" washer installed between the rubber engine mount and the cast body mount bracket, the large rubber mount bolt goes through it. The fan just clears the rack. The fan is fantastic. I always lay towels on the finders when working on the engine. It never fails that when I am reving the engine the towel on the driver’s side is blown off by the force of the fan. You can hear the force of the fan on this video as I rev the engine. Sorry for the crappy video - http://youtu.be/86erf8z_cKY

Last edited:

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Duke,

That additional washer at the hanger is a very clever idea. Thanks for the tech tip!:D BTW, just looked at the video. Sounds great, I can only imagine what it is like wanting to get the car out on the road again, new cylinder broken in, and back to the strip!

Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Found one of Them !!

Gene

Thanks. At least I now understand what exactly are the issues and what I am suppose to measure. I walk a fine line between driveability and perfection. Right now this issue seems to be falling into the driveability category. I have made a note but think I will save this for another day...

Jim

From the piles emerged this Tiger specific geno pulley. Note the lead from the fan blades to the belt groove. Time for some bead blasting and resto.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Issue Resolved

Hi All

Just to close things out...my generator and fan pulleys now line up...or are at least much, much closer. I did this by using 3/8" steel spacers to move the generator forward. One spacer at each mounting bolt and at the water pump end of the adjustment arm.

The spacers were cut from a one inch steel rod and then drilled out to accomodate the 3/8" mounting bolt. I changed to 2" mounting bolts to allow for the additional space. I have attached a photo of the top mounting bolt with the spacer.

Since I was at it, I also installed the smaller diameter fan pulley. I am hoping that will help with keeping things cooler in traffic.

I have to give a big thanks to Cadreamn who provided material support and technical guidance.

Jim

leepear

Gold forum user
Thanks for all this discussion. I am doing the cooling system on my tiger now. I didn't even know the water pump needed to be pressed till Warren told me the procedure. Lee

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dime test confusion

Seeing there is renewed interest in Generators for the "Stock" Tiger selling mania, and because of the confusion of the "dime test," AND because of all the WRONG Gen pulley pictures on this forum, I want to clarify the "dime test."

The dime test is for the gen pulley.

The test was first used at a SUNi event to check for the correct Tiger Gen pulley.

The correct Tiger Gen pulley will accommodate a very large % of the dime between the fan belt / groove and the blades of the pulley.

The wrong pulley has the dime substantially covering on to the fan belt / groove.

A bit crude, but for a quick on the spot test, it worked/s well.

Picture coming.....?

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Buddy can you spare a dime

Part of the reason there are so few of these is it is nearly impossible to remove them without bending them. One of our local stock near 100 point car ID's the pictured ones. Maybe he is wrong but from all I have read and owned the pulley was the same p/n as a Falcon 6 which I just happened to not throw away when I converted that car in 84. Maybe it would be easier if they were painted orange :) Sorry no dime in pictures

The pictures of the first 3 are the Falcon off an 170 cu in motor but may have been on the 200 as well. The Last is the one looked over by the stock loving white Tiger owner.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
...spare a dime?

With inflation, the old $.02 is now 2 dimes....:rolleyes: