Hagerty's Buyer's Guide - Sunbeam Tiger Mk II

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This is a pretty well done video on the Sunbeam Tiger Mk II and well worth the 15-1/2 minutes it takes to watch. The presenter makes a few minor errors, such as stating that the Mk II came with chromed headlight surrounds. The example he drives is a very nice, mostly original example. Missing vinyl stripes and the wrong taillight lenses are just two things a sharp-eyed Tiger aficionado will notice.

Sunbeam Tiger is NOT Poor Man's Cobra

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
How times and ideas have changed now that the car values have increased and a new generation of owners have come about. Thirty years ago the non peaked chrome head light rims were a wanted item selling for a lot of cash. I had several new owners look at the set I had for sale at SUNI and they all said they weren't correct so they couldn't use them. The same for the sets of NOS amber turn signal lenses that I had for sale.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It all comes down to what an owner wants his or her Tiger to be - Stock, Personalized, or Modified. The chromed headlight rims (and I also have a pair, but not installed and not for sale) and the rear amber turn light lenses can look good on the right car, as long as the owner is not worried about being completely stock. They are correct - for a Personalized or Modified Tiger. I wonder how many people watching this video without reading the Forum now think that Mk II Tigers came with chromed headlight rims. I also wondered why the narrator did not mention the oil cooler that was unique to the Mk IIs.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It all comes down to what an owner wants his or her Tiger to be - Stock, Personalized, or Modified. The chromed headlight rims (and I also have a pair, but not installed and not for sale) and the rear amber turn light lenses can look good on the right car, as long as the owner is not worried about being completely stock. They are correct - for a Personalized or Modified Tiger. I wonder how many people watching this video without reading the Forum now think that Mk II Tigers came with chromed headlight rims. I also wondered why the narrator did not mention the oil cooler that was unique to the Mk IIs.
I thought the idea that the fuel pump location was a good check to see if a car is an alger was an unfortunate comment....

I think they probably got it mixed up with several things.. Check of tiger v alger and mki v mkii

Should have said:
1. the check for a mkii vs mki is the lack of a hole or battery box in the rear deck ( hence pump in spare tyre well)
2. Check for a tiger mki/ia is no evidence of a battery box, just a hatch and hole where the fuel pump and bracket are mounted

Comon for the pumps to be moved to mkii location

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This thread had gone off on a tangent in a discussion about the three classifications for Tigers and Alpines – Stock, Personalized, and Modified. This new topic is one that has attracted interest and is a good subject for further discussion. Therefore, the posts under this thread that were regarding car classes instead of the Sunbeam Tiger Mk II video have been moved to a new thread, Stock vs. Personalized vs. Modified in the General Tiger Discussion forum. Further comments about the video are welcomed in this thread.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Couple comments... just finding this now months later...

First, I really appreciated the end comments as "A Travelers Cobra" vs "Poor Mans." This coming from a very well published and regarded Cobra and GT-350 owner and author. Second, however, is we should note that this is HIS car and it only helps to have some skin in the game to try and elevate potential buyer interest. :). Colin has owned and restored a number of Tigers.

Also note, Colin was (offline) willing to help a fellow forum member facing engine build issues and is a positive voice for our lil ....extremely detail critical... clan.

He also called out TAC which is always helpful.

Happy to see it

Note: guess we know where one of those scattershields are. And his license plate frame is a nice touch for this months tiger tales. And wish my car would chirp into third gear. Neat.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Couple comments... just finding this now months later...

First, I really appreciated the end comments as "A Travelers Cobra" vs "Poor Mans." This coming from a very well published and regarded Cobra and GT-350 owner and author. Second, however, is we should note that this is HIS car and it only helps to have some skin in the game to try and elevate potential buyer interest. :). Colin has owned and restored a number of Tigers.

Also note, Colin was (offline) willing to help a fellow forum member facing engine build issues and is a positive voice for our lil ....extremely detail critical... clan.

He also called out TAC which is always helpful.

Happy to see it

Note: guess we know where one of those scattershields are. And his license plate frame is a nice touch for this months tiger tales. And wish my car would chirp into third gear. Neat.
Tiger Bell Wedge 001.JPG