Heater bezel removal with dash in car

1949FL

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Okay, so I have a restored heater control bezel and now I am trying to figure out a way to install it with the dash in the car. Anyone have any ideas, the nuts on the studs are 1/4" or 5/16" according to the parts book. Of course, one needs tiny little tools and even smaller hands to get in there! They neglect to tell us there are ground wires attached to these studs say above the lighter etc. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Jim

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
If the nuts are original they are 5/16 AF (across the flats). 10-32 nuts in Amurica are 3/8" across the flats, British ones are 5/16" across the flats. If you need some, let me know, I buy them by the box of 100! As the fan motor is in the way, it would be really difficult to access this with the dash in place. Add to that the tension from the cable sheaths for the temp control and air flapper it'd be much easier to remove the 4 dash screws and pull the dash away from the bulkhead... If it's a Mk1a then you'll have to release the vent control rods so as to not break the flapper assy's in the fresh air vents...

1949FL

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Very helpful information for what I need to do. Thank you.
Jim

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick Guest in Texas was making transfers for the bezels. I've used them on two of my cars. You can see it in this photo.
107_1002.JPG
I didn't have to pull the dash to freshen the bezel. I don't know if he still has them in stock.

Last edited: