Horn ring centre badge

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I am about to machine aluminium rings for myself and my mate to fit an early Alpine hood badge as a horn button. I have seen this before so not my bright idea. Must have been an enthusiast made part?

Rick at SS sells new repro badges quite reasonably, as do others.
Anyone want in on this, as likely a one of project. No idea of cost, but it will not be a rip off.

Imagine this with a nice billet aluminium adapter ring.

20231011_104612[1].jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think the nicer badges for interior are the series 3 bonnet badges ( also rapier fastback) you could also make one from a grill badge .. but would need to turn the oval to a circle...

A guy used to sell billet horn pushes with those for Nardi wheels about 10 years back...I'll see if I can.find an image.

My dad's SIVgy had the S3 bonnet badge and mount in the centre of his Mota-lita

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I used a Mota Lita adapter and one of their smaller steering wheels. This adapter has a center push button for the horn. It requires no mods to the horn wiring. As mentioned earlier you can epoxy any of the available Sunbeam badges to the center push button of this set up. I chose to keep the emblem that came with the adapter. The idea of the aluminum adapter to replace the stock center padded section sounds great. I wouldn't mind having one. Rootes had a similar idea when doing the LeMans conversions of the Alpine. They used a Carlotti wheel and adapter with a wood center section and the Harrington lower fender badge that was used on early conversions. The horn was activated by a third stalk on the column instead of a push button or horn ring.

107_1002.JPG

110_0668.JPG

Last edited:

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The Tiger grill centre badge is nice, and no problem to mill the oval on modern machines.

The badge I bought must be a Series I and II then
So the Nardi wheel is Series III - it is nicer than the one I bought to prototype this.........................

I am using this with a Moto Lita adapter as I could not figure out how to maintain the telescopic feature using their horn button?
1964-sunbeam-alpine-mkiii-PEKP6D.jpg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI, Rick @ SS doesn't have many of the badges left. They've been used to make the grill badge. He doesn't have any of the chrome badge holders.